TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Books and Literature Use this forum to discuss books, plays, poetry, authors and more from around the world.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
mindflower Offline
what the hell is a FixYou♥
I can't get enough

Name: taylor

Tips For Writing Fan-fiction? - August 15th 2013, 10:14 PM

Hey guys I actually have a great idea for a fan-fiction, based off a couple of the members of My Chemical Romance... anyways. I've never written a fan-fiction, and I feel like every time I start it, it already sucks. Like, is there a good way to do this? All I have really is a plot... you know? Like... just tips. I need tips please and thank you...

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: Tips For Writing Fan-fiction? - August 16th 2013, 02:01 AM

I've never written a fan-fiction myself, but my best advice for writing something is to make a plan. Start with the plot you have, and then build ideas off of it such as how the characters got to that point, why they feel that way, etc. Then keep expanding until you are able to come up with ideas for origins to begin your story at.
Also check out This link, it has helpful tips to writing fanfictions.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

(#3 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while

Re: Tips For Writing Fan-fiction? - August 16th 2013, 02:21 AM

Okay, while writing fanfiction is a lot like writing regular fiction.

Just write it, don't worry about the quality of what you're writing, because it'll suck anyway. Your first draft ALWAYS sucks. Don't stress about it, just put it on paper.

Then you'll edit it, and it won't be bad after. You might even be proud of it. Spoiler alert: It still sucks.

Leave it for a week, and edit it again. At this point it's presentable.

Essentially, you rinse and repeat this formula on a bunch of stories until you're a great writer, really. The hardest part of writing is getting that first draft down because it's always really horrible no matter what. And then you have to keep editing it repeatedly. Then leave it alone for a week, and edit it once more before you publish it online.

- Justin

"Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick, erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick, rewrite it"
Technologic

(#4 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount19

Edit avatar

Re: Tips For Writing Fan-fiction? - August 16th 2013, 11:58 AM

First of all, if you want to post on a distinguished site like fanfiction.net, don't do RPFs; or Real Person Fanfics. It's against the rules. Also, tumblr isn't the place for fanfiction. You can use Wattpad, Blogspot or a more proper writing site rather than a reblogging site.

Second of all, stick true to the characters (see why RPFs don't work? you don't know them, but it's up to you!), have them say or do what they would normally say or do in canon. But with RPFs, you're really taking a big gamble. You could have them be true to themselves or they could be very OOC (out of character), you never know really.

Third of all, have a decent plot and have it be one that will keep the readers reading. Don't write something that gets boring after a chapter or two. Description will keep people reading, don't make it more dialogue than description but have a decent amount of dialogue.

Closed Thread