TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Books and Literature Use this forum to discuss books, plays, poetry, authors and more from around the world.

View Poll Results: Do you prefer series or single books?
Series because... 6 28.57%
Singles because.. 2 9.52%
A book is a book, I don't care. 11 52.38%
I don't know. 2 9.52%
Voters: 21. This poll is closed

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Horsefeathers. Offline
Remember your virtue.
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Charlie

Do you prefer reading series or standalone books? - September 29th 2013, 11:58 AM

Personally I like both; sometimes I'll find a series I really like and drop everything to read it from start to finish (yeah, I'm a little bit obsessive, I get caught up way too easily in fiction), but then I'll also re-read single books a lot if I really like them, so, I can't really choose. I guess I like them both for different reasons. What about you?

throw yourself into the unknown
with pace & a fury defiant.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Most Likely Offline
Avete vos
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: -

Re: Do you prefer reading series or standalone books? - September 29th 2013, 12:30 PM

I'd say that series. If I get hooked by a book and read it, I'd rather have something that would continue the plot and character's fate, so my hunger is sated., rather than being forced to imagine my own aftermath. Yea, totally series.

Who dares - wins.
  Send a message via Skype™ to Most Likely 
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Mahray Offline
Skittles Minion

Regular TeenHelper

Re: Do you prefer reading series or standalone books? - September 29th 2013, 12:40 PM

Series, a lot of the time. If I get hooked on a universe and characters (or just the universe), then that's what I want. Sometimes it gets really frustrating to have an awesome book that stands solo.

Things like Snare (Katherine Kerr). Awesome world... but only one book :/

Feel free to email/PM/VM/whatever me if you want. I'll answer as soon as I can.

New blog - http://www.trueartisangsty.com/
Trying to keep it updated more or less daily as I write.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: Do you prefer reading series or standalone books? - September 29th 2013, 12:43 PM

Series and standalone books both have their good points. Like Lukasz said above me it's nice to go on a really big adventure with the characters and continue being with them throughout the character's lives which is something a a standalone book wouldn't do too well.

But sometimes there's only a short story to tell and I don't want it to be dragged out across 3 or 4 books just for the sake of the author wanting a series so s/he can sell more books. Also, I don't always have a lot of time to read so it's nice just sitting with a book and knowing by the end of the book you'll know what happens and everything should be wrapped up nicely without having to read a second (or third or fourth) book.

So bottom line is it depends on the story being told. Some are suited to series (like Harry Potter) whereas others are suited to just being one book (like Frankenstein).

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Skeleton Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Charlie

Re: Do you prefer reading series or standalone books? - September 29th 2013, 01:32 PM

I like both, depending on the book. I feel that some books are best suited to be just the one book on it's own and others are better as series but I do feel that sometimes series can get worse as they go on, like the author is running out of ideas but wants to bring out another which can ruin a series for me.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
mindflower Offline
what the hell is a FixYou♥
I can't get enough

Name: taylor

Re: Do you prefer reading series or standalone books? - September 29th 2013, 04:16 PM

I honestly just can't do series. Reading in GENERAL is rare for me nowadays, and I've tried reading series like Hunger Games and Harry Potter, but I never can get past the first book

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Jack Lowden Offline
Afternoon.
Outside, huh?

Re: Do you prefer reading series or standalone books? - September 29th 2013, 06:43 PM

I love either, but I think I tend to read series more, because when I finish one book, I have more to read.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Wickgaga Offline
Average Joe

Name: Malorey

Re: Do you prefer reading series or standalone books? - September 29th 2013, 08:13 PM

I enjoy reading both stand-a-lones and series equally! The only thing is I want to make sure I can get all the books in a series before I start reading them, and since my source of books usually is the public library, that isn't always an option right away, so I mostly read stand-a-lone books.

"They can't scare me, if I scare them first."

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Azure. Offline
Filling My Panties.
I can't get enough

Re: Do you prefer reading series or standalone books? - September 29th 2013, 09:48 PM

I enjoy both series and single books. As long as they don't leave me wanting to know more! That is irritating

vm-pm
♥♥♥
Find your light in a new dawn.
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

(#10 (permalink)) Old
i_like_black Offline
Awesomesauce.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jess

Re: Do you prefer reading series or standalone books? - September 29th 2013, 10:02 PM

I just like books. A good series is a wonderful because you get to go on a longer journey, but a good book is a journey in itself. Also, in my opinion, the individual books of a series should be able to be read as standalone novels. That's important.

Anyway, I just like to read, so I read a lot of books, and sometimes I'll read a series. Yup. Books.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Spoons Offline
Too tired to give a fork.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Do you prefer reading series or standalone books? - September 30th 2013, 11:12 PM

I put I don't know, because it depends.

I do read some series. But, I love standalone books too and I can find more standalone books on the genre I am interested in than series. The problem with me and series is that my library sucks and I'm money tight, so by the time I get like two books of the series so many more are out and it gets too difficult to keep up, so I end up abandoning the series. Happened with "House of Night."

So it depends how much access I have to the books in the series, if I can get caught up, and the book itself (interest level), but certain other books that are stand alone may take priority.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Lamia Offline
Snake Goddess
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Katherine

Re: Do you prefer reading series or standalone books? - October 13th 2013, 02:58 AM

I read and finish books really quickly, so I love series because I instantly have another book I can read after I finish the first.

Buddy Since 5/12/13

Live Help Access Since 8/4/13

Chat Moderator Since 12/26/13

Videos Team Member since 1/11/14

PM me if you need anything at all ♥

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Lumos. Offline
Used to be Don'tForget
I can't get enough

Name: Dionna

Re: Do you prefer reading series or standalone books? - October 14th 2013, 01:24 AM

For me, it doesn't matter. If i like a book, it doesnt matter if its a series or not. I finish books quite quickly so if its a series there is more to read but if not i find another book.

From day one I talked about getting out
But not forgetting about
How all my worst fears are letting out
He said, "Why put a new address on the same old loneliness?"
When breathing just passes the time
Until we all just get old and die
  Send a message via Skype™ to Lumos. 
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
dragonblood Offline
hello there
Average Joe

Name: Call me Daff

Re: Do you prefer reading series or standalone books? - October 14th 2013, 01:52 AM

I'm fine with both

But after finishing reading a really long series, I usually think about it for then next week constantly and most of the time for the next month.

~the dragon one

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Name: Christina

Re: Do you prefer reading series or standalone books? - October 14th 2013, 02:03 AM

It depends. I like a lot of stand-alone books but I also like some series. I've read quite a bit of both so I cannot decide which is best.
Series have to connect well for me and stand-alone books have to be really interesting and not leave me with a whole lot of questions at the end (though in some books this is fine because that is the author's intent). Whereas in other books, the author does this but it does not fit with the plot or anything else in the book.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

(#16 (permalink)) Old
~Divergent~ Offline
Struggling again.
I've been here a while

Name: Hailey

Re: Do you prefer reading series or standalone books? - October 14th 2013, 03:07 AM

Generally I think I prefer a series, just because the story continues and doesn't end as quickly.

Member since 9/27/12
Buddy since 9/14/13

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Evanescent Offline
Love Is The Movement
I've been here a while

Name: Nicole (Nikki)

Re: Do you prefer reading series or standalone books? - October 14th 2013, 03:13 AM

I didn't vote any of these because I really like both. I love reading, especially things I can really relate to but I can get into a lot of different types of books. I am on the last book of a four book series right now. I tend to read more standalone books probably because there are more of them in the genres I like but I like books that are in a series just as well.

"Shoot for the moon, even if you miss you'll land among the stars."

"For those who don't care, for those who can't see, never give up, always thrive to be free."

Smile, you are beautiful www.operationbeautiful.com

Blessed Be!
Nicole AKA Nikki
Artist, Poet, and Future Social Worker

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Halcyon Offline
Project Coordinator

I can't get enough

Name: Haley

Re: Do you prefer reading series or standalone books? - October 14th 2013, 05:57 AM

I like books in general, and I enjoy reading anything. If a book is part of a series, I'll have to read them all in order.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#19 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Online
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Do you prefer reading series or standalone books? - October 14th 2013, 06:49 AM

Stand alone books are easier for me since I don't have much time to read anything other than textbooks right now. Plus, even if I get hooked on a series, I usually stop reading it because I get bored. I also don't want to feel obligated to keep reading books, even if I like one because the rest might not be as good.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#20 (permalink)) Old
ELEVATE
I've been here a while

Name: Hannah

Re: Do you prefer reading series or standalone books? - October 14th 2013, 07:29 AM

Overall I prefer stand-alone books. I'm constantly finding myself disappointed with series, like The Hunger Games, and it's often rather difficult to get a hold of all the books in a series. However, some of my favourite books are part of a series haha

Closed Thread