TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives    The Holiday Resource

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Books and Literature Use this forum to discuss books, plays, poetry, authors and more from around the world.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
PeaceSoundsNice Offline
I like trains
Average Joe

Name: Dawn

Question What is this fairytale called? - July 24th 2015, 06:03 AM

This is driving me insane. There's this fairytale that I would always read as a kid and I can't remember what it's called now. It's in French, but I'll do my best to describe it in English.
A king has three thrones. One is made of gold, which he sits on when he's happy, one is made of silver, which he sits on when he is just normal, and one is made out of ebony (it may be iron in some versions) which he sits on when he is upset. One day, he sits on the throne made of ebony. His eldest daughter approaches him and asks why he is upset. He answers that he is upset because his daughters do not love him. The eldest daughter is horrified by this, and insists that she does love him, saying that she loves him more than fine wine. He then thanks her and she leaves. Next, the middle daughter approaches him a d asks the same question, and he gives the same answer. She has a similar reaction, but says that she loves him more than some luxury food item that I can't remember off the top of my head. She then leaves as well. Finally, the youngest daughter approaches, asking the same question and getting the same reply. She says that she loves him more than salt. The king becomes enraged and orders for her to be executed the next morning. The daughter goes to her mother in tears, and the latter says that she will hide her in a (not sure what the English word is but it's made out of metal and is in the shape of a bird and is decorated with different jewels). The girl hides in it and stays there for a while. The mother, knowing that her daughter is not safe in the castle, gives the bird to a peddler, instructing him to sell it to a man who is kind. The peddler comes across several men, all of whom want to buy the bird. The peddler asks why they want the bird, and they all give selfish reasons. Finally, a young man approaches and says that he wants to buy the bird, saying that he wants it so that he won't feel so alone. The peddler sells the bird to the man, and that night, when the princess sneaks out of the bird to get food, the man catches her and asks what she's doing in his house. The princess explains her situation and the man agrees to let her live with him. Typical fairytale, they fall in love and get married. A few years later, the princess finds that she misses her family, and her mother in law happens to be a cook in her father's castle. One day, when a banquet was being hosted, the princess was in the kitchen with her mother in law and was watching her father. The father is eating his food, but complains that tastes terrible because it's so bland, and says that the cook had forgotten to put in salt. As he says this, he remembers his daughter that he thought was dead and realises that she had meant that in her mind, life without him would not be worth living because it would be so bland. He then bursts into tears. The daughter runs over to him and tells him that she is alive, explaining what had happened, and they embrace.
I may have forgotten some parts, but that's the gist of it. Does anyone know what this is called? In French, I'm pretty sure that the title is "Le P___" something that starts with P.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Lexify. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Lexi.

Re: What is this fairytale called? - July 24th 2015, 07:37 AM

Hey!

I remember reading something similar to this and I believe it's called La Princesse Peau-De-Souris. It is slightly then your translation because the king tells his servant to take his daughter to the forest to kill her but he doesn't. He gives her a dress made of mouse skin and becomes a different king's servant until they get married. Her father is invited to the wedding not knowing that his daughter is the one getting married and that's when he eats food which is bland because it wasn't cooked with salt.

I don't know if that's the right story that you're looking for though. But I hope it is.

Closed Thread