TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Books and Literature Use this forum to discuss books, plays, poetry, authors and more from around the world.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Writing (and maybe publishing) a book? - January 1st 2016, 01:53 PM

Hey guys,

So this is random, but how do you go about writing and publishing a book?

I used to want to be an author, but that fell through because I'm not very creative and the longest creative piece I wrote was 2 pages

But, I've recently had a change of mind. I was thinking of writing a book (or different types of books) aimed at children/ teenagers about what it's like to have a close relative with Alzheimer's. This came about because I follow a blog of an American teenager who had a dad with Alzheimer's, and published a book for young children to raise more awareness. I haven't done much research but I know the Alzheimer's charity in the UK has only recently (within the last month or so) set up a website specifically for children and young people to learn more about Alzheimer's. I doubt there are many books, but I would research first. I've also been thinking about a book dealing with child-on-child abuse, because that doesn't have many resources either, but that would be on the back burner.

I think I have been inspired by these type of help books for children because my brother who has suffered from constipation used to have a book when he was younger about going to the toilet. He bought me a similar book for Christmas as a joke (we have a lot of toilet humour here ) and maybe it's a sign

I think as well, now that many YouTube vloggers are having books written and published, I thought why not? I know that I don't have a fan base, or extra letters after my name (many help books for children are written by doctors or psychologists), but I do have the personal experience and an interest in literature, children and raising awareness. Though I am aware, that publishing is a separate issue and publishers can be brutal...I mean, Harry Potter was rejected so many times...and I have no idea about the illustration side of things either.

Any thoughts or ideas would be very much appreciated, thanks

PS. This is just an idea. I have no idea if I would take it seriously. Plus, it may be all the 'new year' hype

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Thereishope Offline
Skittles Minion & Fish Thrower
I can't get enough

Name: Michael

Re: Writing (and maybe publishing) a book? - January 1st 2016, 07:32 PM

As far as writing a book. I don't think there's really a right or wrong way to do it. I mean after all it is YOUR book. Once it is finished or near completion, there are many sites online that list publishers out there. Most sites require a small fee to access their database but there are a few out there that are free. Then you just send your work to them and see if it is something they would be interested in publishing. It might take a while before someone becomes interested enough to pick it up (for example JK Rowling was turned down 12 times..and look at her now lol ) I wish you luck!

Can't stop now, I've traveled so far. - Foreigner

I could have missed the pain, but I'd have had to miss the dance. - Garth Brooks

Assoc Live Help Mentor from 11/23/2014-1/17/2015, 8/8/2015-

Live Help Mentor from 1/17/2015-8/8/2015

SKITTLIFY!

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
"Bisexual" Tux (Linux Mascot)
I've been here a while

Name: Chris

Re: Writing (and maybe publishing) a book? - January 2nd 2016, 06:00 PM

Hey there,

I'm also working on the beginnings of a book, of sorts, but it will probably be a collection of short science fiction stories.

There are various companies like Lulu that will print your book on-demand when people order it. Seems like an easy and affordable way to go.

Chris
You can always contact me to talk about anything!
---------------------
Proud to be myself.

Need a hug? Please take one!

Image Credit: startingover18 (Tumblr)

last updated on 11/11/17

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread