TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Books and Literature Use this forum to discuss books, plays, poetry, authors and more from around the world.

View Poll Results: Would you be interested in a book club?
Yes 13 92.86%
No 1 7.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

TH Book Club - September 27th 2016, 12:31 AM

So, I love reading books and discussing them. I am part of a few book clubs but I thought it would be cool to have a TH book club. I don't know if enough people would be interested so I am going to make a poll to see.

We could read all kinds of books but it is important to remember the audience.

For October I was thinking we could read a horror book. I'd be open to taking suggestions. I was maybe thinking A headful of Ghosts by Paul Tremblay. It had a few parts that were non pg-13 but it didn't seem too much so. I didn't find it the least bit triggering.

That's the thing, if you suggest a book that is triggering please say that it is triggering and what for.

I was thinking of making a poll each month of some books but I don't want to make a new thread every month so I have to think of a different way to do it.

Also, would you want to do fiction and non fiction or just fiction? We could choose two books a month or one?

I don't know if enough people would be interested but I thought I would try and see what happens.

Also, make suggestions on books if you are interested and I'll write them down and do something with them.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#2 (permalink)) Old
arepo Offline
I can't get enough

Re: TH Book Club - September 27th 2016, 12:57 AM

I am very interested! I personally think a new thread each month would be best. You could also use the Social Groups part of the site and make a new discussion each time if you liked that better. I think having it in one thread might make it a bit cluttered if that makes sense. Though I've never seen such a thread like that, so it might work!

“There is nothing beautiful about the wreckage of a human being.
There is nothing pretty about damage, about pain, about heartache.
What is beautiful is their strength, their resilience, their fortitude
as they display an ocean of courage when they pick through the
wreckage of their life to build something beautiful brand new,
against every odd that is stacked against them.” — Nikita Gill

(#3 (permalink)) Old
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: TH Book Club - September 27th 2016, 01:00 AM

I could make it a thread each month. I am kind of thinking that might work. I'll check social groups out and see if I could navigate it. I've never made a social group thing
before.

Oh, social groups seems pretty self explanatory. So, we could vote each month and then discuss there. Or we could just vote each month and then discuss it in the thread. But, there is always a chance that the thread will close before we get a chance.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
arepo Offline
I can't get enough

Re: TH Book Club - September 27th 2016, 01:40 AM

I think either will serve the purpose well enough, but there is the pro that Social Group discussions never close (to my knowledge). If you have any questions about navigating the Social Groups, let me know. I know my way around there fairly well.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: TH Book Club - September 27th 2016, 07:05 AM

Anyone have any suggestions for books we can read for October? It doesn't necessarily have to be scary.

We could read The invisible man by HG Wells? It's supposed to be good but I've never read it.

Some other suggestions:

Unwind Neal schusterman
Asylum Madeleine roux

These two are young adult novels. I have not read them. I don't think they will be triggering but I am gonna say they might be since I have not read them.

If no one else has any suggestions by Wednesday I'll go ahead and make a poll for October. I see that three people including me are interested. So, we can go ahead and try this. I will make a social group tomorrow.

EDIT: I have gone ahead and made the social group so we can discuss the books we choose there. We only have three people that are interested so far but I think this could still be done?

I have made two discussions. One is an introduction if you feel so inclined and the other is suggestions for books. I haven't made any suggestions for October other than in here.

I decided to do discussions in the social groups simply because of the fact that by the time we all get to discussing the book the thread might have closed. Hopefully that won't happen in social groups.

Last edited by .:Bibliophile:.; September 27th 2016 at 11:53 AM. Reason: Adding something

(#6 (permalink)) Old
~Radio Flyer~ Offline
Please call that story back.
I've been here a while

Name: Violet

Re: TH Book Club - September 27th 2016, 04:50 PM

I'm interested. I will join the social group! Also wondering how much time we will have to get the copy of the next book, considering I look through libraries and try to get them free or otherwise at a thrifty price

(#7 (permalink)) Old
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: TH Book Club - September 27th 2016, 07:14 PM

You'd have the entire month to read the book. Would that be enough time to get the book from the library? Depending on the book and if your library allows you to request items I would assume you'd have enough time.

We don't have to have a set time to discuss the book. Some people might finish the book earlier and some later. We could also put discussions in spoilers so as not to give away the ending.

I'm not sure how spoilers work though or if they work in social groups.

Last edited by .:Bibliophile:.; September 27th 2016 at 08:44 PM.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
~Radio Flyer~ Offline
I've been here a while

Re: TH Book Club - September 28th 2016, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Abibliophobe~ View Post
You'd have the entire month to read the book. Would that be enough time to get the book from the library? Depending on the book and if your library allows you to request items I would assume you'd have enough time.

We don't have to have a set time to discuss the book. Some people might finish the book earlier and some later. We could also put discussions in spoilers so as not to give away the ending.

I'm not sure how spoilers work though or if they work in social groups.
One month sounds good. Also I dont think there's a spoiler for a social group but we could sort of do it how we label the blogs triggering- we can have it in the title or something or right before a person comments they can write "spoiler for chapter 4-6" or something. Just giving an example

(#9 (permalink)) Old
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: TH Book Club - September 28th 2016, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three_Blind_Mice View Post
One month sounds good. Also I dont think there's a spoiler for a social group but we could sort of do it how we label the blogs triggering- we can have it in the title or something.
That's a really good idea. Thanks for the suggestion. Still don't have all the logistics worked out for this. It's different here than on other sites I've done this.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: TH Book Club - September 28th 2016, 02:01 AM

I am very interested but I won't be able to participate until December because I'm taking five classes and they all have assigned reading. So please keep this going until I can participate. I think it's a great idea to do themes for certain months, such as a horror book for October.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: TH Book Club - September 28th 2016, 10:48 AM

I'm interested! I'm ashamed to say that I haven't picked up a book since uni, and am looking for new things to try. Can't guarantee I'll do it every month, but count me in

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I can’t help, I’m always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#12 (permalink)) Old
xxpaigiexx Offline
Up In The Clouds...
I can't get enough

Name: Paige

Re: TH Book Club - September 28th 2016, 05:10 PM

Hey,

I'm really interested. I like the idea of a theme for each month. You could have a romance novel for February for valentines day and other themes people can come up with.
I think one per month is probably realistic, as some people read quicker than others. I could easily read two books in a month, but everyone is different.

Facta Non Verba
Deeds not words

(#13 (permalink)) Old
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: TH Book Club - September 28th 2016, 10:04 PM

Halloween is the main theme month. We could also do a Christmas theme for December but I don't know of a lot of Christmas themed books so I'd have to do research. Then, Valentine's day we could do a theme of romance but I don't read romance so someone is gonna have to make some suggestions.

I was also thinking a banned book in September due to banned books week but I'm on the fence about that one.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
~Radio Flyer~ Offline
I've been here a while

Re: TH Book Club - September 29th 2016, 12:27 AM

Banned book week sounds amazing, tbh.

well we don't have to go all literal for December. We can do an associated theme like
Christmas> magic of holidays> a fantasy book/science fiction book?

Also not sure it will work but if you want to pick random from a few suggested ones, but like you said, don't want to take it out of a hat because no one can see you etc, there's probably an online thing that would do it xD
But we can also vote.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Counted Heart. Offline
Sweeter philosophy.
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Charlie

Re: TH Book Club - September 29th 2016, 01:16 AM

I'm definitely interested, although I'm not sure I'd be able to participate without a bit more notice each month. I live in a small town with a small library and one secondhand bookshop to its name, so I don't know how successful I'll be in tracking down particular titles. I could look for them in ebook format but I find those harder to get through so may not be able to finish them in a month.

let no science fix our path
if only numbers make its math.
🎕

(#16 (permalink)) Old
arepo Offline
I can't get enough

Re: TH Book Club - September 29th 2016, 02:10 AM

Although this is just starting, once we get it going we could have the book decided on two months in advance? So if the month is January, everyone will know what the book is by the beginning of December since it was decided on in November.

Also, something to remember if it's too difficult to get a physical copy of the book is that it is also usually possible to get the eBook version. Not only is it cheaper most of the time to buy, but you can also check out your local eBook library and therefore don't have to commit to buying the book.

Just some ideas.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: TH Book Club - September 30th 2016, 03:38 PM

I am definitely interested! I don't know if I'll be able to participate for another month or two, though.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

They whispered to her
you cannot withstand the storm
she whispered back
i am the storm.

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

Re: TH Book Club - September 30th 2016, 06:34 PM

I'll join i need some sort of motivation to read and complete a book - i tend to start a book and like actually never complete it!!!!

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: TH Book Club - October 1st 2016, 04:10 AM

Also heads up to those who have a hard time getting books, thirftbooks online has pre-owned books that are cheap. I get a lot of my books from there!

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

(#20 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount24

Edit avatar

Re: TH Book Club - October 1st 2016, 05:42 PM

Do you need a particular software for e-books? Do they come as .pdf files? If the books are available as an e-book and they come in .pdf format, I would definitely be up for this!

(#21 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: TH Book Club - October 1st 2016, 05:52 PM

It depends on how you get the ebook. My library has an ebook library through the website overdrive, however I need to have a library card for my area in order to use it. Those come in various formats, including a way to read them just through your browser. It also has PDF as an option for many books. If you use the nook app on a computer then it won't come in PDF.

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."

(#22 (permalink)) Old
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: TH Book Club - October 1st 2016, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Banned book week sounds amazing, tbh.

well we don't have to go all literal for December. We can do an associated theme like
Christmas> magic of holidays> a fantasy book/science fiction book?

Also not sure it will work but if you want to pick random from a few suggested ones, but like you said, don't want to take it out of a hat because no one can see you etc, there's probably an online thing that would do it xD
But we can also vote.
If you have suggestions for some December books feel free to share. I have compiled a list and it's in the social groups so you can look through it. I think one or two of the books are fantasy/paranormal.

Quote:
I'm definitely interested, although I'm not sure I'd be able to participate without a bit more notice each month. I live in a small town with a small library and one secondhand bookshop to its name, so I don't know how successful I'll be in tracking down particular titles. I could look for them in ebook format but I find those harder to get through so may not be able to finish them in a month.

I am planning on giving more notice. Decembers book will be decided in early November ( I am gonna put the poll up November first and only leave it open for three days). Would that be enough time?

(#23 (permalink)) Old
Counted Heart. Offline
Sweeter philosophy.
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Charlie

Re: TH Book Club - October 2nd 2016, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Abibliophobe~ View Post
I am planning on giving more notice. Decembers book will be decided in early November ( I am gonna put the poll up November first and only leave it open for three days). Would that be enough time?
That should work. I can always give it a trial run to see how practical it will be. I also read reasonably quickly so that should help a bit.

let no science fix our path
if only numbers make its math.
🎕

Closed Thread