TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Books and Literature Use this forum to discuss books, plays, poetry, authors and more from around the world.

View Poll Results: October Selection
Asylum by Madeleine Roux(Might be triggering for mental health reasons) 4 36.36%
The Invisible Man H.G Wells (Be sure it's by H.G Wells) 3 27.27%
Unwind Neal Shusterman 4 36.36%
Voters: 11. This poll is closed

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

TH Book Club: October Selection - September 27th 2016, 08:35 PM

I wanted to get a poll out there as soon as possible. I am gonna have it to where this poll closes on the 30th. I am hoping that will give people enough time to choose and also give others enough time to make the selection.

Don't forget to join the social group. I am thinking a bulk of the conversation will take place there because I think that this thread will close by the time we get to a point where we can discuss.

Couldn't add this to the poll:

Asylum is part of a trilogy. I haven't read it so it is possible there will be some triggering content.
The Invisible Man you need the title by H.G Wells because there is another book with the same name but a different author.
Unwind: I have not read it so I don't know if it is triggering. Unwind is also part of a trilogy.

For the books that are part of a trilogy. I don't usually make book suggestions off of series or trilogy's but I couldn't think of any other books and this might intrigue you enough to make you want to read the other two books.

I figure no one has a problem looking up each title and deciding which one is the perfect fix. If someone does, I can go ahead and provide the descriptions. Just let me know.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

Outside, huh?

Name: Sam

Re: TH Book Club: October Selection - September 27th 2016, 09:39 PM

I actually read Unwind a long time ago and I don't recall anything that could potentially be triggering!

Essentially, the book is about a group of kids who run away from a corrupt society in which children who reach a certain age (I think it's 16?) can be given up by their parents for the purpose of "unwinding" them, which is basically taking them apart, salvaging their body parts, and using them for medical purposes. The group runs away and the novel focuses on their attempts to fight the system.

I didn't know TH had a book club, but I think it's really cool! I'll definitely be looking for the social group and joining.

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie

(#3 (permalink)) Old
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: TH Book Club: October Selection - September 28th 2016, 12:44 AM

I thought about this and haven't come up with a solution: what do we do if there is a tie between books. I tried to post an odd number of books so that wouldn't happen but I don't know if that will work.

Other than sticking the names in a cup and drawing one I haven't thought of anything. And, that option while fair doesn't seem like the best because no one can see me do it.

Any suggestions?

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: TH Book Club: October Selection - September 28th 2016, 02:34 AM

It could always be a situation of like, one for this month and one for a future month.

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."

(#5 (permalink)) Old
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: TH Book Club: October Selection - October 1st 2016, 05:06 PM

We have a tie between Unwind and Asylum. So, I think the best way to do it is to do one this month and one next month. So, the one we are going to do this month is Unwind. So, if you don't have enough time to get that book then you should have enough time to get the other book, Asylum.

I hope everyone thinks this is fair. Also, I am gonna try to do books in advance so on November 1, I will make a poll for December.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount24

Edit avatar

Re: TH Book Club: October Selection - October 1st 2016, 05:43 PM

I like this idea, but one of those two books could be triggering for some users as you said. Is it possible to read an alternate book for the month of November?

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: TH Book Club: October Selection - October 1st 2016, 05:50 PM

I don't think it's fair to avoid books purely because they contain triggering topics. That's why notice is given ahead of time, so people can decide whether or not they want to participate in that particular month. Having two books a month I think would get way too complicated.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: TH Book Club: October Selection - October 1st 2016, 09:44 PM

I think having an alternate book when we read triggering books would get complicated. It's already been hard for me to pick books that, hopefully, aren't triggering so to come up with a bigger list will be even more complicated.

Like all areas of the site the books are being labeled to the best of my ability. If it's not something you feel you can read then you can skip the given month.

I have gone ahead and created the discussion for Unwind. There are some starter questions in there that you can use in case you don't know how to start the discussion. But, it's not mandatory to answer those questions. I just sometimes have difficulty talking about books without something to go off of.

I don't expect us to discuss it anytime soon. I just wanted the discussion started in case someone gets done relatively quickly.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
arepo Offline
per aspera ad astra
I can't get enough

Name: Oliver

Re: TH Book Club: October Selection - October 2nd 2016, 01:48 AM

I don't think having an alternate book would be realistic because then some people will have had read one and others would have read the alternative, so not everyone would be discussing the same book.

I think we should vote for December's book possibly before mid-November. So people have ample time to get the book before December. this wouldn't be feasible for December or November since we just started, but it might be a good idea to have one month to vote on the books, one month to actually get the book chosen, and then the next month read it. So in the case of December we would ideally vote in October, get the book in November, and then actually read it in December. We could start doing this for January, though. Vote in November, acquire in December, then actually read it in January.

Hopefully that makes sense.

“Remember the mountains and valleys that brought you here.”
- Morgan Harper Nichols

(#10 (permalink)) Old
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: TH Book Club: October Selection - October 3rd 2016, 12:33 AM

I was planning on putting up December's November 1st and leaving it open for three days to give people ample time to get the book.

I'd be fine with putting up January's as well and leaving it open for a month.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: TH Book Club: October Selection - October 3rd 2016, 12:58 AM

Do you think it would work to have a poll where people can add an option for a book, and have it so you can vote for more than one?

(#12 (permalink)) Old
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: TH Book Club: October Selection - October 3rd 2016, 02:20 AM

If people could add books wouldn't that make it more complicated because then there might be numerous people adding books? I could definitely make it possible for people to vote for more than one book.

Closed Thread