TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Books and Literature Use this forum to discuss books, plays, poetry, authors and more from around the world.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Stormy Rainbow Offline
Music Lover
Outside, huh?

Name: Frankie<3

Need book ideas - October 17th 2016, 06:46 AM

I need a list of books that i can read. The only books that intertain me are ones with self harm eating disorders sexual abuse suicide alcohol and drugs. Or mental health related books. If you have any suggestions please list them below and a brief snipit of what its about.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Need book ideas - October 17th 2016, 08:09 AM

These are all teen fiction so the main characters are all teenagers, but they're still pretty good. Just be careful, some of them can be triggering.

Twisted-- Laurie Halse Anderson (Suicide) This one is triggering

Nothing-- Robin Friedman (Male eating disorders)

Cut-- Patricia McCormick (cutting/inpatient)

Damage-- AM Jenkins (Depression) This is the only book I've read or found written in second person so I think it's worth a try

RX-- Tracy Lynn (prescription drug use/abuse)

Purge-- Sarah Darer-Littman (Bulimia/ inpatient)

Impulse-- Ellen Hopkins (suicide) I found this extremely triggering so be careful

Recovery Road-- Blake Nelson (Drug and alcohol use/rehab)

Never Enough-- Denise Jaden (Anorexia) from a sibling's point of view. I'd be careful with this one too

Compulsion-- Heidi Ayarbe (OCD)

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#3 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Need book ideas - October 17th 2016, 04:52 PM

All the bright places by Jennifer Niven - it's kind of a love story focusing on two teens that suffer with mental illness. It didn't trigger me but I imagine that it could be triggering.

Thirteen reasons why Jay Asher - girl kills herself and leaves Thirteen tapes to people detailing what role they played.

Scars Cheryl Rainfield- has to do with self harm. It's probably triggering so be careful.

Willow Julia Hoban - has to do with self harm and might be triggering.

Non fiction:

Bloodletting by Victoria Leatham
Skin game Caroline kettlewell

Both of these are about self harm and are triggering to some.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

Last edited by .:Bibliophile:.; October 17th 2016 at 05:36 PM.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: Need book ideas - October 17th 2016, 06:46 PM

I had a list already made somewhere else so I apologize if some are repeats of other people's suggestions. It should go without saying that many of these might be extremely triggering and I warn you to not read them if you aren't in a safe state of mind.

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher - Girl leaves 13 tapes explaining why she committed suicide

Hold Still by Nina LaCour - Girl has to move on after her best friend commits suicide

Scars by Cheryl Rainfield - Girl self harms, was sexually abused and is trying to remember by who

Identical by Ellen Hopkins - Twins have various problems, includes sex, drugs, and alcohol.

It's Kind of a Funny Story - Kid signs himself into a hospital after contemplating suicide

Impulse by Ellen Hopkins - Three different characters in a hospital after suicide attempts, includes sex, drugs, and self harm

Crank Series by Ellen Hopkins - crystal meth addiction

The Program series by Suzanne Young - In a future dystopian, all teenagers showing signs of depression are checked into "The Program" to prevent suicide from ever happening.

The Girls of No Return by Erin Saldin - described online as "Cut meets Hatchet"

The Perfect Cut by Julie Burtinshaw - self harm, boy's sister dies and he starts to cut.

Suicide Notes by Michael Thomas Ford - Boy attempts suicide, wakes up in hospital with other teens

34 Pieces of You by Carmen Rodriques - Girl commits suicide, leaves 34 clues

Willow by Julia Hoban - Girl self harms after parents die in accident

The Orphaned Anything's by Stephen Christian - Fictional memoir about a depressed, suicidal young adult (not a teenager)

Girl, Interrupted by Susanna Keyson - Memoir of a stay in a psychiatric hospital in the 1960s

The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath - depression

My Heart is an Autumn Garage by Anne Theriault - depression, memoir, hospital

By the Time You Read This, I'll Be Dead by Julie Anne Peters - Girl has failed suicide attempts after being bullied and starts using a website to make sure she gets it right.

Blackout: Remembering the Things I Drank to Forget by Sarah Hepola - Memoir about alcoholism

Break by Hannah Moskowitz - Boy purposely breaks bones so they'll grow back stronger so he can be stronger

Love You Hate You Miss You by Elizabeth Scott - Girl loses best friend, has to keep a diary as a school project (it's not bad, I just don't want to give much away)

Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson - Best friends try to see who can be skinnier, has self harm and eating disorders

Skin Game by Caroline Kettlewell - Autobiography about self harm

Cut by Cathy Glass - Written by the foster mom, a girl in foster care self harms. Also contains abuse. Non-fiction

Bloodletting by Victoria Leatham - A memoir about a girl who self harms

Crosses by Shelley Stoehr - Two girls become friends over the fact that they both self harm

Cut by Patricia McCormick - Girl goes to hospital for self harm

Perfect by Natasha Friend - Young teen binges and purges after her dad dies, her mom deals with depression

My Brother's Keeper by Patricia McCormick - drugs?

Blade Silver: Color Me Scarred (True Colors 7) by Melody Carlson - self harm, religion. She has an entire series and I'm pretty sure has an eating disorder one and possibly other topics you mentioned

LoveSick by Jake Coburn - Boy loses scholarship over drunk driving accident, rich guy pays him to keep tabs on his bulimic daughter

You Know Where to Find Me by Rachel Cohn - Cousins grow up like sisters, one commits suicide and the other goes into downward spiral

Go Ask Alice by Beatrice Sparks - drugs (I actually DO NOT recommend this book, I kind of hate it)

Trigger by Susan Vaught - Boy has failed suicide attempt, deals with depression, etc.

Rx by Tracy Lynn - Honor student organizes trading system to get her friends meds and she "diagnoses" them (very similar to the film charlie bartlett)

Undone by Brooke Taylor - girl has to learn to live without her best friend, more about grieving and loss

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky - fits into mental health (can't say more without spoilers)

A Child Called "It" by Dave Pelzer - child abuse, extremely graphic

Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson - Freshman in high school deals with rape

Just Listen by Sarah Dessen - Fits your subjects but can't tell you how/why

Skin by Adrienne Maria Vrettos - a boy tries to cure his sister's eating disorder

The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides - Sisters commit suicide

Choke by Diana Lopez - kids start playing the "choking game"

Choker by Elizabeth Woods

After by Amy Efaw has some self harm, isn't the biggest focus

Handle with Care by Jodi Piccoult - has self harm, not the main focus but still plays a role

Such a Pretty Girl by Laura Wiess - girls father is getting out of prison, sexual abuse

The Pretty Little Liars series by Sara Shepard - has a character with bulimia, not main focus but still plays a big role

The Rules of Survival by Nancy Werlin - story about a boy's abuse

Project 17 by Laurie Faria Stolarz - teens film movie in abandoned mental hospital, goes into its past. Mental health related.

Bleed by Laurie Faria Stolarz - different perspectives of same day/events from various people, includes some of the topic(s) you mentioned.

The Boy from the Basement by Susan Shaw - child abuse

Dreamland by Sarah Dessen - abusive relationship

Vampire Academy series mentions self harm but it is not the main focus.
Gemma Doyle series also mentions self harm but is fairly brief.
Blue is for Nightmare series has some self harm in the third book
I believe Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn includes some self harm though it's not the biggest focus, not entirely sure.

Overall, Cathy Glass has quite a few books that are all mostly true accounts of various degrees of abuse.
Ellen Hopkins also has a lot of books that deal with drugs, sex, mental illness, etc. They are almost all, if not all, written in verse.

I also recommend taking a look at goodreads, specifically the lists section because there's a lot of lists of books based on the things you've mentioned like self harm or drugs or abuse

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."

(#5 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Need book ideas - October 17th 2016, 07:59 PM

The impulse book has a sequel called Perfect and it's good. One of the characters has an eating disorder.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Need book ideas - October 17th 2016, 08:34 PM

Perfect-- Natasha Friend (bulimia)

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#7 (permalink)) Old
fallingstargirl Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Estelle

Re: Need book ideas - October 17th 2016, 09:46 PM

Far From You by Tess Sharpe is really good, it's a mystery-style book and the main character struggles with addiction. Speak (rape) and Wintergirls (self harm and eating disorders) by Laurie Hals Anderson are also some of my favorites.

The opposite of war isn't peace - it's creation
~Jonathan Larson

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Horsefeathers. Offline
Remember your virtue.
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Charlie

Re: Need book ideas - October 19th 2016, 03:54 AM

One of my all-time favourite books is Aimee by Mary Beth Miller. The story follows a high school girl whose best friend commits suicide, leaving her with a lot of the blame (and guilt) because she was the only one there when she died. She then has to rebuild her life in a new town far away from her friends, while dealing (or rather, not dealing) with her emotions and her own family issues. Warnings for suicide, self harm, eating disorders, and abuse.

throw yourself into the unknown
with pace & a fury defiant.

Closed Thread