TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Books and Literature Use this forum to discuss books, plays, poetry, authors and more from around the world.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany

Book Reviews! - December 17th 2016, 05:07 PM

This thread has been labeled as containing spoilers. The contents of this thread might therefore describe important elements of a storyline that could ruin it for you. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

So, I just came up with a great idea! I think that once you're done reading a book, you should write a review! That way other users can read the reviews and see if it would be something that they like. If you put something in it that might potentially be a spoiler for the book PLEASE put a spoiler warning!

I hope you guys have fun doing this! I look forward to seeing some reviews to find something to read!

Let me know if you have any questions! Happy reading!

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor | Article Editor
Forum & Chat Moderator

Last edited by .Brittany.; December 17th 2016 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Adding Spoiler Prefix

(#2 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Book Reviews! - December 17th 2016, 05:51 PM

I'll do this when I finish my current book. It's part of a series so I'll review the entire series.

How do you add spoiler tags?

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#3 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany

Re: Book Reviews! - December 17th 2016, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Abibliophobe~ View Post
I'll do this when I finish my current book. It's part of a series so I'll review the entire series.

How do you add spoiler tags?
Hey Jenna!

Thanks for asking! You can do it one of two ways. You can put [Spoiler ](without the space, enter your info here).[/spoiler]

Or, if you can't figure that out just put a warning at the top of your post saying that it might contain spoilers. I will also put a spoiler prefix on this thread

Spoiler:
You spoiler would look like this.

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor | Article Editor
Forum & Chat Moderator

(#4 (permalink)) Old
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Book Reviews! - December 17th 2016, 06:47 PM

I am currently reading the Cainsville series by Kelley Armstrong.

Spoiler:
It centers around Olivia Taylor-Jones who comes from a wealthy family and then she finds out that she is adopted and her real parents are serial killers. She ends up going to Cainsville which is a mysterious town that happens to welcome her unlike the rest of the world upon knowing who she is.

It's a mystery series but it also has some magic in it. In the second book you come to find out the mystery behind Cainsville and we start to unravel whether or not her parents actually killed the people they were accused of killing.

There is a bit of a love triangle in the book but to me it's not the typical love triangle and I don't mind it too much.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Book Reviews! - December 21st 2016, 07:16 PM

Mortal Instruments book four: City of Fallen Angel's

Spoiler:
The mortal instruments was originally a trilogy but the author added on to it. As I don't want to spoil those books I will say that this fourth installment takes place a few months after City of Glass. The characters made some decision that left lasting consequences but they were not aware of these consequences when they made the decision.

There are demons and vampires and werewolves which was originally what drew me to the original books. However, I didn't feel like this book was as intriguing and I didn't feel like it was written all that well.

I have fallen out of reading YA and it's partially due to the writing not being that good so that probably impacted my feelings for this series.

There are two other stories in the Mortal Instruments series and I'll give them a read but I don't think I'll give them a glowing review.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
fallingstargirl Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Estelle

Re: Book Reviews! - December 21st 2016, 09:48 PM

I just finished reading Woman at Point Zero by Nawal el Saadawi and I really, really liked it. This is spoiler-free Heads up though, the book itself has some slightly vivid descriptions of rape and sexual abuse that could be triggering.

The book is partially fiction, but based on a real story. It takes place in Egypt. It's about the experiences of a woman named Firdaus who had been imprisoned and sentenced to death for killing a man. The author opens the novel by telling the story of how she got to interview Firdaus, but it's mostly Firdaus narrating a story of her own life. She was born in poverty, but still got an education, and then went on to become a prostitute.

This was a hard story to get through, and I had to take a few breaks while I was reading, but it's incredibly powerful. I finished it in maybe 3 hours (it's short) and I loved it. It has a lot of really beautiful imagery and it definitely changed my perspective. The main character has a very gripping voice and is clearly smart and observant – she makes really interesting comments and tells her story amazingly. This book had such a huge impact on me, I would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a quick but powerful read.

The opposite of war isn't peace - it's creation
~Jonathan Larson

(#7 (permalink)) Old
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Book Reviews! - December 21st 2016, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingstargirl View Post
I just finished reading Woman at Point Zero by Nawal el Saadawi and I really, really liked it. This is spoiler-free Heads up though, the book itself has some slightly vivid descriptions of rape and sexual abuse that could be triggering.

The book is partially fiction, but based on a real story. It takes place in Egypt. It's about the experiences of a woman named Firdaus who had been imprisoned and sentenced to death for killing a man. The author opens the novel by telling the story of how she got to interview Firdaus, but it's mostly Firdaus narrating a story of her own life. She was born in poverty, but still got an education, and then went on to become a prostitute.

This was a hard story to get through, and I had to take a few breaks while I was reading, but it's incredibly powerful. I finished it in maybe 3 hours (it's short) and I loved it. It has a lot of really beautiful imagery and it definitely changed my perspective. The main character has a very gripping voice and is clearly smart and observant – she makes really interesting comments and tells her story amazingly. This book had such a huge impact on me, I would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a quick but powerful read.
This books sounds really good I am gonna see if I can get it at the library.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
TheAtomicBlade Offline
Resident Sith
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Tortellini

Re: Book Reviews! - December 22nd 2016, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Abibliophobe~ View Post
This books sounds really good I am gonna see if I can get it at the library.
The book is amazing. I agree with OP about it. It is really really amazing and makes you think heaps

PM me if you ever wanna talk. Send a message my way.
And remember, you matter. You're awesome. You're beautiful. Stay strong, the world will get better.

May The Force be With You.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount24

Edit avatar

Re: Book Reviews! - December 22nd 2016, 09:34 PM

I think this is a wonderful idea, Britt! Also, maybe giving out spoilers for books will encourage others (including myself) to read that and possibly related books or others in the same series.

Closed Thread