TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Books and Literature Use this forum to discuss books, plays, poetry, authors and more from around the world.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Poetry Suggestions - December 20th 2016, 08:45 PM

My niece is into poetry and she's going to be eighteen soon and I'd like to get her a little something for her 18th birthday. I don't know if she'll like it. I'd like to add to her collection I just don't know what books there are. I know Ellen Hopkins writes books in verse and I might buy one of those but other titles would be cool as well.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

Last edited by .:Bibliophile:.; December 20th 2016 at 09:06 PM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?
Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie

Re: Poetry Suggestions - December 21st 2016, 05:41 PM

Is there a specific type of poetry that she's into? Older or newer stuff?
In some bookshops where I am you can get collections by a particular author - I have the emily dickinson one and it has gold edges on the pages. It's really pretty! You could also look into cloth bound/leatherbound poetry collections but a lot of those tend to be classic authors I think, at least from what I've seen.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany

Re: Poetry Suggestions - December 21st 2016, 06:13 PM

Hey Jenna,

I've been thinking about this thread since you posted it, I'm just slightly confused. Are you looking for books that have poetry in them or novels that are written like poetry with a story line?

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor | Article Editor
Forum & Chat Moderator

(#4 (permalink)) Old
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Poetry Suggestions - December 21st 2016, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VotesForGoats View Post
Is there a specific type of poetry that she's into? Older or newer stuff?
In some bookshops where I am you can get collections by a particular author - I have the emily dickinson one and it has gold edges on the pages. It's really pretty! You could also look into cloth bound/leatherbound poetry collections but a lot of those tend to be classic authors I think, at least from what I've seen.
She liked the book Milk and Honey by Rupi Kaur? She just told me she liked poetry. She wasn't specific about what she liked other than the Milk and Honey book. I got her the Sylvia Plath collection and I am looking into Anne Sexton as part of her birthday present. There are a few others I've found like Oracle by Cate Marvin.

Something that talks about adulthood, death/grieving might be themes she could relate to across the board. Rupi Kaur's Honey and milk had to do with survival so she might like themes like that.

Quote:
I've been thinking about this thread since you posted it, I'm just slightly confused. Are you looking for books that have poetry in them or novels that are written like poetry with a story line?
It seemed like the book she liked had a story line or theme. The theme was survival. I am looking for themes that have to do with death/grieving and adulthood since I think she'd be able to relate to those themes the most at this point in time.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany

Re: Poetry Suggestions - December 21st 2016, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Abibliophobe~ View Post
It seemed like the book she liked had a story line or theme. The theme was survival. I am looking for themes that have to do with death/grieving and adulthood since I think she'd be able to relate to those themes the most at this point in time.
I don't know much about this series, but have you looked into Chicken Soup for the Soul books? I haven't read one since I was a kid so I don't remember much about them. There's so many different options you can pick!

I'll keep thinking as well!

Let me know
Brittany

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor | Article Editor
Forum & Chat Moderator

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Elision Offline
Formerly Pan221
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Poetry Suggestions - December 22nd 2016, 03:23 PM

Carol Ann Duffy is AMAZING. Her poems cover everything like death, life, love etc, and they're all to do with women in the world. I love both The Worlds Wife (where she writes poems from the perspective of famous wives e.g. Lazarus' wife) and Feminine Gospels which celebrate and explore women in general. I ADORE her poetry

I am inimitable, I am an original

If you cannot reach me to fly, teach me to sing

(#7 (permalink)) Old
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Poetry Suggestions - December 22nd 2016, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elision View Post
Carol Ann Duffy is AMAZING. Her poems cover everything like death, life, love etc, and they're all to do with women in the world. I love both The Worlds Wife (where she writes poems from the perspective of famous wives e.g. Lazarus' wife) and Feminine Gospels which celebrate and explore women in general. I ADORE her poetry

She sounds amazing. She has a few other books as well. Rapture and then The Bees. Although, the bees is out of stock on amazon right now but hopefully when I get closer to buying them they will have it. I think she might like Rapture though since it's about love.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount24

Edit avatar

Re: Poetry Suggestions - December 22nd 2016, 09:38 PM

I love books that deal with grief, loss, and the overall coming-of-age transition from childhood to adulthood. I have a few on my Goodreads to-read list that she might like.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Poetry Suggestions - December 22nd 2016, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleidoscope. View Post
I love books that deal with grief, loss, and the overall coming-of-age transition from childhood to adulthood. I have a few on my Goodreads to-read list that she might like.
Are they poetry selections? I am trying to stick with things I know she'll read. I also don't know if she reads a lot of YA any longer. I mean, I'd have no problem looking at your goodreads list. It might give me ideas.

Edit: I am going to close this thread since the issue has been resolved. Found four books that I'd like to get her but am going to choose between them and save the rest for next Christmas.

Last edited by .:Bibliophile:.; December 23rd 2016 at 01:22 AM.

Closed Thread