TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Books and Literature Use this forum to discuss books, plays, poetry, authors and more from around the world.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount24

Edit avatar

Book Suggestions, please! - December 24th 2016, 06:38 PM

Hey, guys. This is my first post on the regular forum in ages but I'm hoping all members, and not just those on staff, can give book recommendations for me.

I started 2016 saying I would read ten books this year and I haven't completed a single one. I did read fifty pages of a book that I didn't really like and five pages of another book, and I didn't like that one either. So, that definitely scared me off literature that wasn't Harry Potter.

But, I definitely want to read some books in 2017. If I complete one book, I think I'll be happy. I would love to be able to read ten books, though.

Genres I like:

- Young Adult (excluding books involving SH and abuse)
- Historical Fiction
* Tudor Era (Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn)
* Since I started watching The Crown, I would love to read something about a young Queen Elizabeth II.
* WWII fiction of any sort. Can be Nazi/Jew, or Catholic/Jew, those from Britain who have been sent to live with relatives in Canada, etc.
* mid - late 1800s setting in the Prairie States or Provinces.
- Young Adult Historical Fiction
(pretty much the same listed above, but with teenagers/young adults as main characters)

(#2 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Book Suggestions, please! - December 24th 2016, 08:09 PM

The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah (Takes place in ww2. I read it and loved it. It might be triggering towards the end)
All the light we cannot see Anthony Doerr (I have not read it so can't say if it's good. )
Those who save us by Jenna Blum (I loved it as well but it was sad and there are depictions of rape/abuse so you might not be into it)
Book Thief
Also, for Tudor etc stuff look into Phillipa Gregory. She writes about all of that and I believe she has a book about Anne Boleyn and her Sister and all that happened with them.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Resilient Offline
Lead Moderator

Senior TeenHelper

Name: Court

Re: Book Suggestions, please! - December 25th 2016, 12:08 AM

Since you're into historical fiction, anything by Katherine Longshore. I read Gilt but there's also Tarnish about Anne Boleyn which I know you are interested in, as well as other books by her.

Resilient
1. (of a person or animal) able to withstand or recover quickly from difficult conditions.
2. (of a substance or object) able to recoil or spring back into shape after bending, stretching, or being compressed.

We all possess resilience, we just need to realize it.

Lead Moderator

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: Book Suggestions, please! - December 26th 2016, 03:13 PM

For YA fiction, what are you specifically looking for? Dystopian? Sci-fi? Romance? Fantasy? Mystery? Series? Natural Disaster? Adventure?

I have hundreds of books I could recommend but narrowing down categories helps a lot.

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Lexify. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Lexi.

Re: Book Suggestions, please! - December 26th 2016, 07:39 PM

I went through a phase in middle and high school where I read a lot of ww2 books (and we had to read them for school) some that I really enjoyed were:

The Guests of War Trilogy by Kit Pearson. The books in it are: The Sky is Falling, Looking at the Moon, and The Lights Go On Again.
From Anna and Listen for the Singing by Jean Little
The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne
The Dear Canada series are worth checking out as well. There are different topics, years, etc but I remember reading and really enjoying those and being obsessed. I read them in elementary school and in middle school again but I still have the whole collection on a shelf which all of my sisters have read and enjoyed as well.
Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay
Chronicles of Narnia by CS Lewis
Hana's Suitcase: A True Story by Karen Levine
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
Those Who Save Us by Jenna Blum
Hiding Edith: A True Story by Kathy Kacer

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Elision Offline
Formerly Pan221
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Book Suggestions, please! - December 27th 2016, 09:07 AM

Hillary Mantel writes good books about the Tudors - Wolf Hall, one of her books was made into a tv series recently
Yellow star by Jennifer Roy is a great book about a girl in the Jewish ghetto
Also on that theme, the boy on the wooden box, which is a memoir about a boy who was worked for as a Jew Oscar Schindler
Charlotte Grey by Sebastian Fawkes, which is about a woman who goes to France as a spy in ww2
The boy in the striped pyjamas (super sad though)
The book thief (also super sad but AMAZING)
Also the Queen of the Tearling series - young adult about a woman who becomes queen and has to rule during a war - not sure if it fits the genres you've described but it is such an amazing series I had to recommend it!

I am inimitable, I am an original

If you cannot reach me to fly, teach me to sing

Closed Thread