TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Books and Literature Use this forum to discuss books, plays, poetry, authors and more from around the world.

(#1 (permalink)) Old
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Cover changes mid series - August 18th 2017, 08:45 PM

So, this is actually something that publishers will do at times. They did it with 'The Bone Season' series.

Recently an author of a very popular series came out and said they are going to change the covers for the third book as well as for the other books in the series. Two books are out currently and two more are coming out. So, people who bought the book will either have covers that don't match OR they will have to go and purchase the first two all over again. The first two's new covers are also only going to be published in soft cover whereas the third book that is coming out will be published in Hardcover for the first year.

Some fans are quite mad about this because they feel like the author and the publisher are basically trying to extort money from them/ feel it is a scam. Some people have said that they will not be continuing on with the series and others have said they will just get the new books from the library instead of purchasing them.

Some fans are upset because when other covers have changed mid series the publishers have kind of accommodated fans by releasing the newer books with covers that match the old/outdated covers but it's only for a limited time. This author and the publisher are not doing that.

So, my question is, what do you all think about this? It's a really interesting topic. I see both sides. And, a cover change mid series would not, necessarily, make me stop reading the author or the series but it would lead me to questions the authors/publishers motives etc which is why I can understand that some fans feel that this is a scam to get money from fans etc.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount24

Edit avatar

Re: Cover changes mid series - August 18th 2017, 08:59 PM

I wouldn't stop reading the series, especially if I enjoyed the first two books. But I'd question exactly why the author and publisher are doing this. There's a reason for everything and I'm a pessimist. So, personally, I would hold off buying the rest of the series until I get more information if it becomes available. But that's just something I would do, others I'm sure won't even think twice and still enjoy the series regardless of what the cover shows.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Cover changes mid series - August 20th 2017, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iridescent. View Post
I wouldn't stop reading the series, especially if I enjoyed the first two books. But I'd question exactly why the author and publisher are doing this. There's a reason for everything and I'm a pessimist. So, personally, I would hold off buying the rest of the series until I get more information if it becomes available. But that's just something I would do, others I'm sure won't even think twice and still enjoy the series regardless of what the cover shows.
In the case of this series, the author did have a reason as to why she made the changes. The story was written by a POC and the characters in the story were POC as well. So, the author wanted POC representation on the cover. So, that's a really great thing especially if you look at all the stats surrounding POC's getting books published and getting representation in books etc.

However, people still have issues with this because of the simple fact that if they want matching covers they have to go out and buy the first two books all over again and then they also have to wait for the third and fourth books to come out in paperback since the first two books don't have matching hardcovers.

So, I do understand the annoyance. Some fans have asked if she is going to end up making a limited edition third and fourth book that matches the first two and she will not. IDK if that's because the publisher don't want to do that or if it's because she doesn't want to do so. But, other publishers who have done mid-series changes have gone ahead and done a limited edition run of books that match the original covers which has led to a lot of fans of this author and this series to be kind of upset.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Lexify. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Lexi.

Re: Cover changes mid series - August 20th 2017, 08:06 AM

Honestly, if I like the book/series I will buy the new books with the new covers just so they match on my shelves. However, if I'm just reading it out of curiosity (and it's not going on my shelves) then I won't. I don't pay much attention to the covers anyways and I really could care less what is shown on the cover because I'm more interested in the book (and what's on the synopsis).

(#5 (permalink)) Old
matthewmatters Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Matthew

Re: Cover changes mid series - August 26th 2017, 01:56 AM

some books can get different covers but i wouldnt mind.
it just matters that i have the book