TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Books and Literature Use this forum to discuss books, plays, poetry, authors and more from around the world.

(#1 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

TH Book Club: September Discussion - September 13th 2017, 06:19 PM

This thread has been labeled as containing spoilers. The contents of this thread might therefore describe important elements of a storyline that could ruin it for you. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

So, this is being put up a bit early but I think that should be fine.

Has anyone started this? I have heard such mixed things about this novel and was curious where I would fall. I got about 171 pages in and had to put it down because I was bored and dreaded picking it up. I had been warned that it was a slow burn novel but this was too slow. Close to 200 pages in and it didn't seem like much was going on and whatever was going on...I didn't really care about.

I also found that the shifting perspectives as well as the shift in time made it super confusing. I was struggling to see how certain characters (Bailey) fit into the story.

I have heard people say that this is an absolutely amazing novel and I don't see it. I am not one to hate books that shift perspective or even have a shift in time...but the way the author did it left me confused.

I had also heard that the authors writing was 'beautiful' and I did not feel that way? I felt like she spent too much time describing the tents and all the other stuff and it left me wondering what the story was, exactly.

I might try and pick this up again in the future (I was going to try and finish it by the end of the month but this month is going by fast and I have some library books I want to get through as well as some owned books). If I don't end up finishing this book by December I will likely donate or sell it.

Anyone have any opinions?

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: TH Book Club: September Discussion - September 14th 2017, 10:06 AM

I'm just over half way through and it's definitely slow! And I also found the shifting perspectives and time to make things more complicated. That said, I do like the descriptions of the circus, the illusions and midnight dinners. I guess what it lacks in action, it makes up for in description. But equally, this can make it drag and I have also felt like I'm not entirely sure what the plotline is given that it feels mostly descriptive.

I'll try to finish it, partly because I've read quite a bit and also to see if things pick up the pace or if it's just more description

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: TH Book Club: September Discussion - September 14th 2017, 02:45 PM

See, I don't tend to dislike books that are descriptive as long as it has a plot of some kind. I think, that is what I was struggling with in regards to this book though. It just seemed like nothing was happening. I have heard from people who loved it that the synopsis doesn't do it justice and makes it seem like the novel is going to be a lot more action packed and 'romantic' than it truly is. Which, I can understand that and if there were a plot to the story but it was slow I wouldn't, necessarily, be against finishing it. Without an actual idea of what the plot is I feel like I am just reading descriptions and that bothers me.

I am uncertain if I will even end up going back to the novel. Idk that it is worth it. If you finish it let me know what your overall feelings are and maybe it will help me make a decision.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|