TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Books and Literature Use this forum to discuss books, plays, poetry, authors and more from around the world.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Best and worst books of 2017? - December 19th 2017, 06:48 AM

I am curious if anyone has a list of books that they thoroughly enjoyed and books that they hated?

My favorites:

Wild Swans by Jung Chang
Eliza and Her Monsters by Francesca Zappia
Foolish Hearts by Emma Mills
Locke and Key by Joe Hill (Graphic novel)
Monstress vol one and two (Graphic Novel)
Autoboyography by Christina Lauren
Mistborn Trilogy by Brandon Sanderson
Scythe by Neal Shusterman
Heartsick by Chelsea Cain

Worst books:

The light we lost
All the light we cannot see
Girl in Pieces
What We Saw
The You I've Never Known
The Magician's
My Best Friend's Exorcism
Fierce Kingdom

Also, did you have any books that surprised you? Maybe you thought you were going to love it and you hated it? Or you thought you were going to hate it and loved it?

For me, I thought I was going to really dislike Foolish Hearts and Eliza and Her Monsters and both books were pretty darn good. I ended up buying a physical copy of Eliza and Her Monsters since I wanted it on my shelf and might re-read it at some point.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#2 (permalink)) Old
matthewmatters Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Matthew

Re: Best and worst books of 2017? - December 24th 2017, 11:08 AM

The series of book by Becca Fitzpatrick, which consists (in this order) of four books, hush hush, cresendo, silence, finale.
I definately didn't think the books would be anywhere near as deep or meaningful as they turned out to be

(#3 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Snow is glistening.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Best and worst books of 2017? - December 24th 2017, 02:05 PM

I didn't like Girl in Pieces or What We Saw (dnf) or Not Enough (I just finished that). There were a few others I didn't like but I don't remember the titles.

I did like Pushing the Limits, Deborah Raney's books (want to read more in 2018) Scarred, Jaycee Dugard's books, and the one I'm reading now. I didn't read as much as I wanted to this year but here's to hoping I can read more in the coming year. I'm sure there are plenty of books I'm forgetting.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu

(#4 (permalink)) Old
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Best and worst books of 2017? - December 24th 2017, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynefin View Post
I didn't like Girl in Pieces or What We Saw (dnf) or Not Enough (I just finished that). There were a few others I didn't like but I don't remember the titles.

I did like Pushing the Limits, Deborah Raney's books (want to read more in 2018) Scarred, Jaycee Dugard's books, and the one I'm reading now. I didn't read as much as I wanted to this year but here's to hoping I can read more in the coming year. I'm sure there are plenty of books I'm forgetting.
I disliked both girl in pieces and what we saw! I'm pretty sure I read them this year but they were just so forgettable!

Both had pretty decent reviews too.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Adele101 Offline
Average Joe

Re: Best and worst books of 2017? - December 24th 2017, 11:50 PM

I'm surprised you guys didn't like Girl in Peices, why didn't you like it?
My favourites were : The Program and The Treatment by Susanne Young (they were sooo good!!), Written in the Stars by Aisha Saeed, The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath and Only Ever Yours by Louise O'Neill.
I didn't really like When We Collided by Emery Lord and The Edge of Never by J.A Redmerski.

Keep calm and carry on.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Best and worst books of 2017? - December 25th 2017, 01:41 AM

Girl in pieces was boring and I lost interest. I liked the first 30% or so but after that it was dull. I did think it had really accurate self harm representation. I think the author might have self harmed. But, a lot of the descriptions and feelings the character had about self harm were things I felt or could relate too.

However, that didn't really make up for how bored I was.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Virgil Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Best and worst books of 2017? - December 28th 2017, 12:11 AM

I enjoyed The Magicians by Lev Grossman, They Both Die at the End by Adam Silvera, Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo, and Carry On by Rainbow Rowell. I can't think of any books that I hated; I'm pretty good at picking out good stuff for myself. Why didn't you like The Magicians, ~Abibliophobe~?

(#8 (permalink)) Old
MsNobleEleanor Offline
Courting Chivalrous Fidelity

I can't get enough

Re: Best and worst books of 2017? - December 28th 2017, 01:50 AM

I was surprised in reading an author named, L. Marie Adeline. She portrays her writing really well. I enjoyed the descriptions and vivid imagery it brought.

I bought two of her books and wanted to buy the third but I wanted to start with the two first and then get the third. I still need to get the third at some point.

I am picky at what I read. If the description of a book does not grab me or interests me, sounds boring, I don't read it. I am usually good at which ones catch me.

Have questions or would like to chat send me a PM
+
Senior Article Editor | Newsletter Editor | Resource Editor
Outreach Ambassador | Social Media Guru
Community Moderator
Forum Mod - Relationships and Dating, Substance Use, Lifestyle, Goals and Ambitions

(#9 (permalink)) Old
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Best and worst books of 2017? - December 28th 2017, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
I enjoyed The Magicians by Lev Grossman, They Both Die at the End by Adam Silvera, Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo, and Carry On by Rainbow Rowell. I can't think of any books that I hated; I'm pretty good at picking out good stuff for myself. Why didn't you like The Magicians, ~Abibliophobe~?
The magician's was a bit too boring for my tastes. I did like the last 50-75 pages though. I've also heard a lot of people who have said that the first book is hard to get through but the other two are a lot better. So, I'm probably going to read the second one at some point and go from there.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount29

Edit avatar

Re: Best and worst books of 2017? - December 28th 2017, 05:58 PM

You guys are getting me so excited about reading! But what else is new, this happens at the end of every December!

So, I never went past 50 pages on literally any books I started this year. Well, one is twenty-five pages that could be established as fifty pages and the other is fifty pages that could be established as twenty-five pages.

But the one I formed a strong opinion of (and weren't based/of established fictional universes) was Summer Sisters. I absolutely hated it. I snuck a peek at the end, or close to it. My first impression of it (when I heard of it from a friend) was like "oh, this is going to make me nostalgic" and all it did was creep the hell out of me. I won't even describe or go into details on one scene because it triggered me and it might trigger others.

0/5 books completed in 2017 for me. Yay.

Next year, I am establishing a one book reading goal.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Best and worst books of 2017? - December 28th 2017, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernweh. View Post
You guys are getting me so excited about reading! But what else is new, this happens at the end of every December!

So, I never went past 50 pages on literally any books I started this year. Well, one is twenty-five pages that could be established as fifty pages and the other is fifty pages that could be established as twenty-five pages.

But the one I formed a strong opinion of (and weren't based/of established fictional universes) was Summer Sisters. I absolutely hated it. I snuck a peek at the end, or close to it. My first impression of it (when I heard of it from a friend) was like "oh, this is going to make me nostalgic" and all it did was creep the hell out of me. I won't even describe or go into details on one scene because it triggered me and it might trigger others.

0/5 books completed in 2017 for me. Yay.

Next year, I am establishing a one book reading goal.
Was it Summer Sisters by Judy Blume? If so, it has been on my To be read pile for a while. :P

That being said, if you really want to try and complete a goal you could try reading really small books (200 or so pages) of focusing on graphic novels or something?

I know that I would either read smaller books or focus on graphic novels when I was in a slump.

A lot of the time these books are easier to get through because there is less to read. A one book reading goal is also the way to go because it puts a tad bit less pressure. The other thing to consider is things like fanfiction and wattpad count. I know there might be some people who disagree but any reading (magazines, graphic novels, online stories) count, in my opinion.

Closed Thread