TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Books and Literature Use this forum to discuss books, plays, poetry, authors and more from around the world.

View Poll Results: Pick a book!
The Great Alone 1 25.00%
Pachinko 0 0%
The Care and Feeding of Ravenously Hungry Girls 1 25.00%
Beneath a Scarlet Sky 2 50.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

(#1 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Help me pick my next book - February 22nd 2019, 03:36 AM

I did this a bit last year but then I fell into a reading slump and stopped. I utilize audiobooks a lot so I feel I can start committing to this more often.

I'll include the name and description

The Great Alone:

Quote:
Alaska, 1974.
Unpredictable. Unforgiving. Untamed.
For a family in crisis, the ultimate test of survival.

Ernt Allbright, a former POW, comes home from the Vietnam war a changed and volatile man. When he loses yet another job, he makes an impulsive decision: he will move his family north, to Alaska, where they will live off the grid in America’s last true frontier.

Thirteen-year-old Leni, a girl coming of age in a tumultuous time, caught in the riptide of her parents’ passionate, stormy relationship, dares to hope that a new land will lead to a better future for her family. She is desperate for a place to belong. Her mother, Cora, will do anything and go anywhere for the man she loves, even if it means following him into the unknown

At first, Alaska seems to be the answer to their prayers. In a wild, remote corner of the state, they find a fiercely independent community of strong men and even stronger women. The long, sunlit days and the generosity of the locals make up for the Allbrights’ lack of preparation and dwindling resources.

But as winter approaches and darkness descends on Alaska, Ernt’s fragile mental state deteriorates and the family begins to fracture. Soon the perils outside pale in comparison to threats from within. In their small cabin, covered in snow, blanketed in eighteen hours of night, Leni and her mother learn the terrible truth: they are on their own. In the wild, there is no one to save them but themselves.

Pachinko:

Quote:
In the early 1900s, teenaged Sunja, the adored daughter of a crippled fisherman, falls for a wealthy stranger at the seashore near her home in Korea. He promises her the world, but when she discovers she is pregnant--and that her lover is married--she refuses to be bought. Instead, she accepts an offer of marriage from a gentle, sickly minister passing through on his way to Japan. But her decision to abandon her home, and to reject her son's powerful father, sets off a dramatic saga that will echo down through the generations.
The Care and Feeding of Ravenously Hungry Girls:

Quote:
The Butler family has had their share of trials—as sisters Althea, Viola, and Lillian can attest—but nothing prepared them for the literal trial that will upend their lives.

Althea, the eldest sister and substitute matriarch, is a force to be reckoned with and her younger sisters have alternately appreciated and chafed at her strong will. They are as stunned as the rest of the small community when she and her husband Proctor are arrested, and in a heartbeat the family goes from one of the most respected in town to utter disgrace. The worst part is, not even her sisters are sure exactly what happened.

As Althea awaits her fate, Lillian and Viola must come together in the house they grew up in to care for their sister’s teenage daughters. What unfolds is a stunning portrait of the heart and core of an American family in a story that is as page-turning as it is important.

Beneath a Scarlet Sky:

Quote:
Pino Lella wants nothing to do with the war or the Nazis. He’s a normal Italian teenager—obsessed with music, food, and girls—but his days of innocence are numbered. When his family home in Milan is destroyed by Allied bombs, Pino joins an underground railroad helping Jews escape over the Alps, and falls for Anna, a beautiful widow six years his senior.
In an attempt to protect him, Pino’s parents force him to enlist as a German soldier—a move they think will keep him out of combat. But after Pino is injured, he is recruited at the tender age of eighteen to become the personal driver for Adolf Hitler’s left hand in Italy, General Hans Leyers, one of the Third Reich’s most mysterious and powerful commanders.
Now, with the opportunity to spy for the Allies inside the German High Command, Pino endures the horrors of the war and the Nazi occupation by fighting in secret, his courage bolstered by his love for Anna and for the life he dreams they will one day share.

I will review the book chosen. If there's a tie or enough interest I'll read and review the top two.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#2 (permalink)) Old
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Help me pick my next book - February 23rd 2019, 01:29 AM

Forgot to mention that the poll will be closing in a few days. I think five.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount40

Edit avatar

Re: Help me pick my next book - February 24th 2019, 09:15 PM

Beneath a Scarlet Sky sounds most appealing since it has some aspects of history written into fiction. To me, at least.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Help me pick my next book - March 2nd 2019, 09:31 PM

Beneath a Scarlet Sky was the winner and I was able to get to it this past week.

I am going to review it here:

I tend to really enjoy historical fiction especially historical fiction that takes place around WWII. They tend to keep me on the edge of my seat and I am able to connect with the characters quite a bit. I think connection with the characters is what leads to me being on the edge of my seat throughout the book. This particular novel fell short. I found myself bored and I didn't really care about the characters. There were things that happened and I felt like I was supposed to care but I didn't. There was one moment in the book where I was at the edge of my seat and curious what would happen but that moment happened towards the end of the book and I didn't feel that the follow up of that moment was done well.

I end up rating this book 3 stars and I would say that as far as WWII fiction goes I was disappointed. It has been highly rated and I suppose I can see why people enjoyed it but I feel I have read a lot better WWII Fiction in the past.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.