TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Books and Literature Use this forum to discuss books, plays, poetry, authors and more from around the world.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Librarian
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Wendi

Points: 10,282, Level: 14 Points: 10,282, Level: 14 Points: 10,282, Level: 14

Self-Help Books! - January 12th 2021, 09:29 AM

When you haven't the money to pay for a therapist or counselor, then nothing beats buying new or pre-used self-help books for handling Anxiety, Social Phobia, Clinical Depression, ADHD, or for just trying to get by as a Teenager. Being book lovers, my twin Julie and I had emotional probs and helped ourselves when nobody else was around. We had motivation in spades, but crucially the first step was buying a book we could share. Happy for doing so, we continued searching for more. What we found we share here, in the hope you will find blessing also.

These books are absolute great, but may be bought pre-used in 'Good Condition' or 'Like New' for a fraction of their list price from local second-hand bookshops in town, town and village libraries (or request your librarian to get it!), amazon, abebooks.com and abebooks.UK or be downloaded via amazon to your phone, laptop or tablets. If you can read just one of these books, I am sure you'll be improving your mood.

NOTE: Don't forget to consult your Doctor or PsyDoc if need be!

Burnout: The secret to solving the stress cycle - Emily Nagoski and Amelia Nagoski

Help With Anxiety - Ged Jenkins-Omar

My Anxious Mind: A Teen's Guide to Managing Anxiety and Panic - Michael A. Tompkins

The Insomnia Workbook for Teens: Skills to Help You Stop Stressing and Start Sleeping Better (Instant Help Book for Teens) - Michael Tompkins and Monique A. Thompson

Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Depression - Monique Thompson PsyD

Calm: Working through life's daily stresses to find a peaceful centre - Fearne Cotton

CBT Toolbox for Children and Adolescents: Over 220 Worksheets & Exercises for Trauma, ADHD, Autism, Anxiety, Depression & Conduct Disorders - Lisa Phifer

Reasons to Stay Alive - Matt Haig

What Your Mother Never Told You: A Teenage Girls Survival Guide - Richard M. Dudum

What a Time to be Alone: The Slumflower's Bestselling Guide to Why You Are Already Enough - Chidera Eggerue

How To Get Over A Boy - Chidera Eggerue

How To Be a Woman - Caitlin Moran

How To Tell Depression to Piss Off: 40 Ways to Get Your Life Back - James Withey

Change Your Thinking with CBT: Overcome Stress, Combat Anxiety and Improve Your Life (2006) - Dr. Sarah Edelman

Master Your Emotions: A Practical Guide to Overcome Negativity and Better Manage Your Feelings - Thibaut Meurisse

Mind Over Mood: Change How You Feel by Changing the Way You Think - Dennis Greenberger

Totally Me!: The Teenage Girl's Survival Guide - Yvonne Collins

Girl, Woman, Other: WINNER OF THE BOOKER PRIZE 2019 - Bernardine Evaristo

Getting into your mother's mind can greatly help you improve your self-esteem, and overcome your mother's nagging/criticism/indifference etc. This can help you in a positive way, like it helped Julie and me!

What's My Teenager Thinking?: Practical child psychology for modern parents Flexibound - Tanith Carey

Untangled: Guiding Teenage Girls Through the Seven Transitions into Adulthood - Lisa Damour

Under Pressure: Confronting the Epidemic of Stress and Anxiety in Girls Paperback - Lisa Damour

All the best and good luck!

“Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.” - Thomas A. Edison.

Thomas Edison tried over two thousand times to invent the lightbulb.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?

Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 74,574, Level: 39 Points: 74,574, Level: 39 Points: 74,574, Level: 39

Re: Self-Help Books! - January 18th 2021, 02:52 PM

I've never read a self help book but I know these will be very useful for some people out there, especially those without access to therapy. This isnt a self help book, but nonetheless this is one which helped me to feel less alone and more 'normal' in my reactions to the world around me. Thought I'd add it on for those of you who, like me, might struggle with a self help book and might like something a bit less direct

Notes on a Nervous Planet by Matt Haig

"Why want another universe if this one has dogs?"

Matt Haig - The Midnight Library

Volunteer Support Officer | Apply to staff
2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Points: 88,663, Level: 42 Points: 88,663, Level: 42 Points: 88,663, Level: 42

Re: Self-Help Books! - January 19th 2021, 05:21 AM

Thank you for the post as I need to start reading more self-help books!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Librarian
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Wendi

Points: 10,282, Level: 14 Points: 10,282, Level: 14 Points: 10,282, Level: 14

Re: Self-Help Books! - February 13th 2021, 02:35 PM

To our surprise, our 12 year old Tommy has been enthusiastically reading Lisa Damour's books 'Untangled' and 'Under Pressure', and making notes.

Julie and I have been listening to our younger sister's thoughts and reading notes she gave us permission to read. I must say how impressed I am of our dear little sis. For reasons of her privacy, obviously I can't discuss what her findings and conclusions have been, other than to say how very proud we are of her.

Tommy's self-motivation is astonishing. She's going to go far!

“Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.” - Thomas A. Edison.

Thomas Edison tried over two thousand times to invent the lightbulb.
Closed Thread