TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Literature Use this forum to discuss books, plays, poetry, authors and more from around the world.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount24

Edit avatar

Comfortable reading environments? - May 14th 2017, 05:03 PM

When you read a physical book, what setting do you do it in? Because I would love to begin reading again, but I have to have the environment surrounding me a very particular way. The pillows must be arranged a certain way so I can lean back on it comfortably and I don't get neck cramps. The light must be shining on the pages precisely and no shadows. But I can't ever get into this position and then reading just goes out the window because I am distracted by the bits that are out of place. This doesn't help my ADHD because I'm likely already distracted by wandering thoughts, either related to the book I'm reading or other things.

What environment do you read in? Do you play music? Do you read inside or outside? In a chair, on the couch, or in bed? Do you read during a certain time of day?

I really want to get back into reading original fiction, I'm tired of fan-fiction.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

Outside, huh?

Name: Sam

Re: Comfortable reading environments? - May 14th 2017, 06:46 PM

If I'm reading inside, I'm usually on my couch or my bed. I have a pillow similar to this that I usually pop up because it provides support to my back. If I'm reading outside, I like to read on a park bench or something similar to that. I can't read sitting upright - I need to be able to use my knees to rest the book on in order to be comfortable. The only exception to that is reading at a coffee shop.

I go back and forth between playing music and reading in silence. Since I live in a fairly loud house, I usually throw something on so I'm not distracted by voices. If I do, I try to play things that are on the mellower side. If it doesn't have lyrics, that's best. But, if it does, I try to pick something that I'm not very familiar with, so I'm not distracted by the music.

My only other must-have is a cup of coffee. I need to have coffee of some sort to sip on when I'm reading.

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Celestine. Offline
✞Faith can move mountains✞
Outside, huh?

Re: Comfortable reading environments? - May 14th 2017, 07:17 PM

I can read anywhere. I love reading and I do it many times a day and usually read about 5-10 books a week, sometimes more and sometimes less depending on how big the books are (if they are less than 300, then I read closer to 8-10), how busy I am or if I'm on vacation. I always bring a book with me if I'm out and about. If I'm home, I read in my bed (usually for a few hours before I go to sleep), on a bean bag chair or couch, in our tree house, sometimes I'll lay in the tennis court and sunbathe. I like listening to music, I'll usually just throw in some headphones and hit shuffle and I'm good to go. I can read in a car, boat, plane, train, ect and as long as I have my music on, I am comfortable. I'm not picky. I've been this way since I was little and I love reading.

They need to be actual paper back books though because I hate reading ebooks.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Wonder Woman Offline
Ba la la la la la la

Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Coraline Jones

Re: Comfortable reading environments? - May 14th 2017, 07:36 PM

I like to read in the car before work or during breaks at work, alone and peaceful, and quiet. At home I like to read out on my porch, and because I live out in the country we have a creek that runs through my front yard, the sound of it is amazingly soothing so I can concentrate. I also read in my bed before bed and turn on my handy dandy book light, I clip it onto the top of my book and there are no shadows or anything on the pages. When I'm the only one at home during the day, I like to sit on the couch with my feet curled up underneath me and read because there is no noise.

No noise = a happy reading stint

If I could have any superpower right now,
it would be to be able to go through that screen and give you a big hug."

Community Mentor / Forum Moderator / Hugger Extraordinaire

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?
Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie

Re: Comfortable reading environments? - May 14th 2017, 09:42 PM

If I'm at home I'm quite fussy - no music or TV, has to be silent, and I'm usually laying on the sofa with the light on like you with no shadows. If I'm on my bed I'm on my front but that usually hurts my back so I switch between that and leaning up against the wall with pillows behind me. Otherwise, I read on the bus when I'm going places too and can somehow cope with any amount of noise as long as I have a window seat.

❤ Nana ❤
1953-2016

As far as we can discern,
the sole purpose of human existence
is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
- Carl Jung

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Chai. Offline
Nitwit Blubber Oddment Tweak ♥
I can't get enough

Re: Comfortable reading environments? - May 14th 2017, 09:50 PM

I can read anywhere and I read between 3 and 10 books a week depending on the pages. I don't really have a place or position, I prefer. I basically just sit down anywhere and start reading and if I find that place uncomfortable, I just walk away reading to a new place. I avoid sitting in places where the sun's glare falls directly on the pages because bright lights or their reflections give me a headache. I hate being disturbed when I am reading so if there is anyone apart from my parents at home, I lock myself in my room. I chew gum while reading but since I chew gum in general, I can't say if the two actually go together.

"Being happy isn't about having everything in your life perfect. Maybe it is about stringing together all the little things."

Community Mentor | HelpLINK Access | LiveHelp Access | Forum Moderator

(#7 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Comfortable reading environments? - May 15th 2017, 03:37 AM

Lately, I have only been able to read in bed. I have to change positions periodically but for some reason it's the most comfortable place for me to read.

In the past, back in December/January, I was reading in a recliner I have. I would sit with my legs crossed or up against the wall and it was the most comfortable place for me to read.

I like to read with as much silence as possible but I don't need absolute silence. I've been able to read with my boyfriend playing video games or watching youtube videos and before I lived here I used to sit on the couch with my dad and read while he watched tv.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Outside, huh?

Name: Holly

Re: Comfortable reading environments? - May 15th 2017, 11:37 AM

I'm getting back into reading so I feel your pain!

For me, I have to lounge. I know it's probably bad for posture but it feels so comfortable with my feet up on the sofa or bed with something behind my back for support. I need to have decent lighting so when I'm downstairs on the sofa, the natural light from the window is fine. But when I'm on my bed, I need my light on because otherwise it's a little too dark for my liking.

Can't have distractions though. No music or TV since I find that distracting and can't focus on the reading.

I used to go to my library and read but I didn't feel comfy enough? Like the chairs weren't that comfy and I found other people distracting

In the summer though, I love to read outside in the park. I don't mind having some background noise like kids playing in the distance, because I just find it relaxing being in the park anyway. I try to pick somewhere with a bit of shade since I get headaches being out in the sun for too long. As long as I have a hoody or something to lie on, I'm good to go!

HelpLINK Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I cant help, Im always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#9 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany

Re: Comfortable reading environments? - May 16th 2017, 08:35 PM

I don't read too much, but usually when I do it's before bed while I'm laying in bed. I have a little book light that I use so I don't have to get out of bed to turn off the light before I go to bed.

You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.

HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor | Article Editor
Forum & Chat Moderator

(#10 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Curly girl.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Comfortable reading environments? - May 16th 2017, 10:10 PM

I usually read at nighttime before bed, or in the morning after I wake up (if I don't have anything I need to do that day). I do sometimes read in the afternoon but I don't usually have a lot of energy for it.

Normally I read in my bed. Sometimes I'll sit with my legs crossed and read looking down, sometimes I'll lay on my back and prop the book up (that gives me headaches though). Most of the time I like to put the book on a pillow and lay and read that way. Sometimes I will read on the couch and lean the book on the arm of it. Occasionally I'll read at the dining room table.

Whether or not I can tolerate distractions depends on my mood. I can read if there is music or the TV on, or if other people are talking. Other times I need it to be more quiet so I can concentrate.

Articles & Resources Officer|Senior Newsletter Editor|Forum & Community Moderator

The wild woman has
a deep love of nature,
a love for the ancient mother,
though possibly misunderstood,
it has always been her.
When she goes into
the wilderness
a part
of her soul is going home.
-Shikoba-

Closed Thread