TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Peer Pressure and Bullying Social pressure can take many different forms, including intimidation, bullying and even physical attacks. If you feel you could be a victim or perpetrator (who wishes to stop) of bullying, talk about it here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Memories. Offline
The Little Fox
Not a n00b

How to deal with bullying? - October 11th 2013, 07:10 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of peer pressure or bullying, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Growing up I used to get beaten up, kicked in the head, and made fun of. As I got into high school, it just turned into being made fun of, except for Sophomore/Junior year when a Quarterback smashed my face into a locker.
After I dropped out of high school, it seemed to die down a lot. I stopped going out, so people weren't really able to harass me.
I'd occasionally run into someone online who would start verbally abusing me, but that was it.
For a while, I had decently thick skin. People could make fun of me, and it wouldn't bother me, but it didn't last long.
I need help figuring out how to cope with people verbally abusing me. Any time someone does, I almost instantly become depressed and some times suicidal, and I hate it, but I don't really feel like there's anything I can do to stop the emotions.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Pirouette Offline
Just a girl strolling by
I've been here a while

Name: Rishy

Re: How to deal with bullying? - October 11th 2013, 04:25 PM

Hey Caitlyn,

I'm sorry to hear all this has happened to you. You don't deserve this kind of treatment at all! Coping with previous experiences of bullying is a difficult task, but hey, since you're out of highschool now, you can try thinking of the positive side, which is that it's unlikely that you will see them again. If someone is verbally accusing/bullying you online, it's best to block them. Is it on a site like Facebook, twitter, instagram, etc.? You could also report the user too. But yeah, don't be afraid to block someone online, it's completely anonymous in most cases. Anyways, if people are verbally abusing you in real-life, it's best to try not to talk to those people; just avoid them. I know it's hard to do that since I also experience somewhat of verbal abusement too, but if its like at a public place, you could just walk away from them or you could also stand up for yourself and tell them to leave you alone or something. I hope this helps; if you ever need to talk, feel free to message me anytime!

~Rishy

[left]

"Imperfection is beauty;
madness is genius;
and its better to be absolutely ridiculous
than absolutely boring."

-Marilyn Monroe

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Memories. Offline
The Little Fox
Not a n00b

Re: How to deal with bullying? - October 11th 2013, 08:33 PM

I just want to figure out a way to deal with how I'm left feeling afterwards.
Like, even if I block someone, the damage is done, and I just wish I wasn't so sensitive and emotional, and I don't know how to change it. =/

(#4 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: How to deal with bullying? - October 12th 2013, 11:20 AM

Some people are capable of this more than others. For me it came easily.

Dissociate yourself mentally from them when they behave that way. They're not behaving like evolved, intelligent human beings, so don't treat them that way. Don't dignify their condescension with an emotional response. It's like some dog showing it's teeth and barking madly at me from behind a fence when I walk past. I don't give a shit.

People who make it their business to bully others rarely accomplish anything remarkable in life. Low-wage jobs or boring jobs, drinking problems, maybe drug addictions, violence, criminal records. It's not hard to rise above those people. When you start looking at it that way, it's a lot easier to just take those people, push them to one side and forget about it.

It works for me. Although sometimes I feel some pity for them. It's rare though. When I think of some encounter's I've had with such people, the pity subsides quickly. I can't bring myself to forgive those sorts. I know people who have paid the cost of being bullied with their lives. You hear it every now and then in the news. Suicides usually. The pity doesn't just go away... it changes and then I positively want to destroy someone like that when I think of it. There I go... I'm thinking of it.

I'ma get back to doing something useful with myself now before I loose focus for the rest of the day and waste the rest of my weekend wishing car accidents for certain people.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

Last edited by BDF; October 12th 2013 at 04:47 PM.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
dragonblood Offline
hello there
Average Joe

Name: Call me Daff

Re: How to deal with bullying? - October 12th 2013, 03:15 PM

Even though some people find it easy, blocking out verbal abuse mentally is challeging.
Just imagine that person behind that laptop writing unforgiving comments about you. Think about the accusations they make and how untrue they are. Think about how they don't know/understand. Think about how low they are going to make you feel bad and how they don't have a life. If you can do this successfully to online bullying, bullying in life becomes easier. Why should you let what they say get to you? Maybe they are one of those dumb jerks who do these things "for the lols". Why should you give one when they clearly don't get what you are like?

Don't let them get to you xoxo

~the dragon one

Closed Thread