TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Peer Pressure and Bullying Social pressure can take many different forms, including intimidation, bullying and even physical attacks. If you feel you could be a victim or perpetrator (who wishes to stop) of bullying, talk about it here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
mskawrak98 Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Mo

My brother - April 19th 2014, 11:20 PM

My brother is 21 and I'm 16. Everyday he comes into my room and basically just attacks me repeatedly or makes me do random stuff just because he knows that I can't stand up to him, and if I do he just attacks me even more. It's incredibly annoying and he does hurt me a lot. I've told him to stop, but he doesn't care. My parents know and say he's just joking even though I've repeatedly told them that it's not a joke. Would this be classed as bullying? If so, how can I get him to leave me alone? I've tried standing up to him but that doesn't help, and I don't really know what else I can do.

When you feel like giving up, remember why you held on for so long in the first place.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
darlingnikki Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: My brother - April 20th 2014, 03:04 AM

Hey... If you are telling your parents and they aren't taking you seriously then you don't have much of a choice sweetie. Tell your school counselor and they wil report him as abusive or tell the cops yourself. But you (sadly) need to have proof of violence. He is indeed bullying you because you are stronger and to be honest if he weren't your brother i'd tell you to fight back but this person LIVES with you so that could result in further abuse. I wouldn't "threaten" him with the police because that too might enrage him. I hope this all works out for you. Your older brother should be your protector not tormentor. He needs help and if your parents are allowing this they surely can't help him nor you.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
SpecterH Offline
Average Joe

Name: Harvey S.

Re: My brother - April 20th 2014, 04:54 AM

I'm sorry that you're currently experiencing this with your brother.

When people act this way, they're usually looking for some kind of reaction - good or bad. If you acknowledge their existence (i.e., stand up for yourself, tell your parents, etc.), the person bullying will know that they're bothering you. You don't want to do this. My best advice would be to ignore your brother when he behaves in this way. Literally don't even make eye contact with him. Pretend he's not even in the room. If he doesn't get a reaction from you, he'll get bored and leave you alone.

Alternatively, I'd recommend talking to your parents about it - privately. Sit them down when your brother isn't around and tell them about the situation. Emphasize that it's not a joke and it's bothering you a lot. I'm sure that, if you take your parents aside and have a serious, mature conversation with them, they'll understand what's going on. It's difficult for parents to deal with this type of thing sometimes because it may feel like they're choosing sides. Just explain that your brother's behaviour is really bothering you, and you can all work through the issue together. With your parents' support, you may have more luck.

You could start hanging out with your friends more as well - even if it's just for a little while so you can get out of the house a bit. I know you shouldn't have to leave your house because of your brother's behaviour, but sometimes it's nice to get out of the house and clear your head a little bit. It could make the world of a difference.

Finally, have you considered talking to your brother about this at all? I know this might not be a viable option, especially if you feel he won't listen to you, but it may be worth a shot. If you take your brother aside, privately, and seriously explain that his behaviour is bothering you, he may stop. Who knows? It is very possible that he doesn't even realize that his behaviour is bothering you in the way that it does. This is why communication is very important in this situation. So, try talking to him about it, if you feel comfortable doing so.

Good luck.

Harvey Specter
Don't play the odds, play the man.

Closed Thread