TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Peer Pressure and Bullying Social pressure can take many different forms, including intimidation, bullying and even physical attacks. If you feel you could be a victim or perpetrator (who wishes to stop) of bullying, talk about it here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
hypnotyzer440 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Lilly

Angry Sick of judgemental adults - August 18th 2014, 10:55 PM

Lately I've been really upset due to the fact that people have been calling me upsetting things and labeling me because I have a different style from others my age. In my town, it is socially acceptable to wear booty shorts, low cut tops, bikini tops, etc. And that's fine; if you want to dress like that then go right ahead. But this style just isn't for me. I don't feel particularly comfortable with showing off my body like that. However, when I am at home, I'm not really concerned as much because well, I'm at home and such. I recently got my belly button pierced and the first day I got it done I wore a crop top and pajama pants just in my house; I refuse to even leave the house in a crop top. My step father started yelling at me telling me that I was "half naked" and to change. My wardrobe mainly consists of band tees and jeans. Normally when I go out in public I will wear a band tee with a tank top underneath (which isn't really necessary but makes me feel comfortable) and depending on the weather either jeans or shorts with tights. The reason I wear shorts with tights is because I have longer legs, so normal shorts look really short on me plus I don't feel comfortable showing off my legs really. The other day I went to my boyfriend's house and I wore my favorite pair of tights (Alice and wonderland pair) with shorts and a Chelsea Grin band tee with vans. Since my boyfriend lives by the field that my little brother practices on for football, he walked me over there so I could get picked up with my brother (since it was easier). I said my goodbyes to my boyfriend, blah blah blah. And then I heard some adult say "look at the way that skank over there is dressed." Just because I hate showing off my legs so I wear tights underneath the shorts does not make me a skank. A skank, by definition, is some who has poor hygiene and is "easy." I'm 16, a virgin, and plan on being one for quite some time. I've only dated 4 guys before my current boyfriend of seven months. I don't believe myself to be easy. I guess there isn't really a point to this paragraph, but I just had to get this off my chest. It's been bothering me and now I'm feeling even more insecure about what I'm wearing and how I present myself.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
luckiicloverxx Offline
Staff On Leave

Regular TeenHelper

Name: Kyra

Re: Sick of judgemental adults - August 19th 2014, 08:01 AM

Hey there,

I've gone through the same kinds of things. And sometimes it really doesn't make sense, like why that lady would call you a skank when you were wearing a band tee, a pair of shorts, and tights is beyond me.

But in the end, I think that all we can really do is just accept that there will always be people who are trying to bring us down. And instead of giving them the power to make us feel bad about ourselves, we should ignore them and walk away. It's not easy, but we can do it

Feel free to message me if you would like to talk!

Kyra
  Send a message via Skype™ to luckiicloverxx 
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Verbal venom.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Sick of judgemental adults - August 19th 2014, 04:52 PM

Hey Lilly,

Whether we like it or not, unfortunately, everyone has their own opinion and some choose to express it when it really isn't necessary to do so. Like what was said above, we have more power than the people that put us down. We have the power to not let the negativity of others get to us. I hope you know that you are not the things that people call you; you're an individual with your own likes and dislikes, and good for you for expressing yourself through your clothing choices! It might help if you frequently remind yourself of the good things about yourself to make you feel a little better. Who makes you feel good about yourself? Stick to people that are positive to be around and try to avoid people that you can't be yourself around.

If you like to wear band shirts with leggings then go for it! It's a nice way of expressing yourself and as long as you are happy with your outfit that is all that matters. This may be hard but try to block out the people around you. I doubt that you will ever have to see the woman that you encountered ever again; these people are strangers who don't have the pleasure of knowing who you are on the inside. People who make snide comments like that just aren't worth your time.

Keep on being yourself and prove 'em wrong!

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

Closed Thread