TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Peer Pressure and Bullying Social pressure can take many different forms, including intimidation, bullying and even physical attacks. If you feel you could be a victim or perpetrator (who wishes to stop) of bullying, talk about it here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Eesha123 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Eesha

Lesbian Rumours.... - December 26th 2015, 10:23 PM

People in my new school keep spreading rumours about me being a lesbian which I'm not. They say that I'm prestige and I look like a lesbian. I don't understand why they care so much about my sexual orientation anyway. Most of these people are insecure and drink and do drugs. Hopefully these rumours will die down. I hope the same thing doesn't happen after the holidays. Why do people still use lesbian as an insult? Should I tell a teacher? Has this ever happened to you? P.s I wasn't sure where to put this because I think rumours are part of bullying.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Melancholia. Offline
Devil Dez

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Lesbian Rumours.... - December 27th 2015, 12:46 AM

Hey,

I can't say for sure why people use sexual orientation as insults. It really isn't right, and honestly it isn't any of their business. From what you described it seems as if these people don't have anything better to do with their lives than start rumors, and don't worry, karma definitely will get them! Bullies do prey on presumed insecurities or weaknesses, and it does suck.

As far as if you tell a teacher or not, that is up to you, but if you are being affected by this in any way or fear that other people are being bullied in the same way, it's worth a shot. Then you'll hopefully be preventing you and other people from being bullied like this in the future.

But remember that you obviously know the truth and anyone who says otherwise isn't worth your time. The people who truly care about you won't listen to some stupid rumor and will love you for who you are. Those are the people that matter.

Let it come and let it be...

Send a message via Yahoo to Melancholia.  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: Lesbian Rumours.... - December 27th 2015, 01:52 AM

I knew of someone who had rumours like that passed around about her. So then out of spite and defiance she went and snogged a girl as someone's house gathering in front of everyone.

People shut up then.

I know very little about circumstances & details though. Just a funny story. I'm not suggesting you do it.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
xxpaigiexx Offline
Up In The Clouds...

I can't get enough

Name: Paige

Re: Lesbian Rumours.... - December 28th 2015, 12:19 AM

Hey there,

Unfortunately, during secondary school you will always get immature people who try to spread rumours about people. It's unkind and obviously it is affecting you in some way. Try to ignore these people, soon enough they will probably get bored and move onto the next person.

If things are really upsetting you then I would suggest taking it to a teacher and explain what people are saying and let them know you're finding it really difficult with particular people calling you a lesbian.

To be honest your sexual orientation shouldn't have anything to do with them, and they should have no reason to be interested, but unfortunately kids can be cruel and they can be unkind and sometimes it is for no reason, you have to rise above it and show them that you aren't bothered by what they say. As long as you know the truth and all the people that matter to you know the truth then I wouldn't worry about what a few nasty people have to say.

Best of luck,
Paige

Facta Non Verba
Deeds not words

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: Lesbian Rumours.... - December 28th 2015, 04:59 AM

I actually had something really similar happen to me. I chose to just embrace it and let them say what they want because at the end of the day, I knew who I was and I knew after I graduated I wouldn't see most of them again. It isn't right for people to use sexual orientation as an insult or a rumor, but if you don't let it get to you they will eventually get bored and move onto something else.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDF View Post
I knew of someone who had rumours like that passed around about her. So then out of spite and defiance she went and snogged a girl as someone's house gathering in front of everyone.

People shut up then.

I know very little about circumstances & details though. Just a funny story. I'm not suggesting you do it.

This is exactly what I did haha. Really though, don't worry too much. Most people are okay with the LGBTQ community so people likely don't think any less of you if they hear this rumor.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

(#6 (permalink)) Old
SakuraNeko98 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Brianna

Re: Lesbian Rumours.... - December 31st 2015, 03:27 PM

I know I'm late on this, so it probably won't matter.

I'm going through the same thing with one of my friends and no, it really isn't any of their business and it doesn't seem like they know anything about you anyways.

You said this was going on in your school, right? My friend and I told our teacher and she said that she'd take care of it,
although because we're so close I almost hit someone like BDF said a girl they knew did.

I hope you get this fixed or it already is, until then good luck<3

(#7 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: Lesbian Rumours.... - December 31st 2015, 05:09 PM

That's not what "snogged" means :P

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Fanatic Offline
In Christ Alone ♥
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Mary

Re: Lesbian Rumours.... - January 1st 2016, 05:06 AM

Eesha,
Unfortunately, I've been through the same thing as you, people starting drama and starting untrue rumors. People used to call me that a lot in elementary school. However, I would advise you to ignore the rumors. People don't know what they are talking about and are very, very immature when they are young. All they want to do is make you feel bad and no one deserves to feel that way about themselves. Just be yourself and ignore all the haters

"I'm not a piece of cake for you to just discard
While you walk away with the frosting of my heart
So I'm taking back what's mine, you'll miss
The slice of heaven that I gave to you last night
." - "Cake" by Melanie Martinez

Send a message via Skype™ to Fanatic 
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Green Yoshi Offline
The screwdriverneedsgas!
I've been here a while

Name: carwithnogas

Re: Lesbian Rumours.... - January 2nd 2016, 08:45 AM

Hello.

If people judge by appearances so much, then they're just shallow. These people are better off being acquaintances anyway.. not friends. There's better people out there for you, and these people will get to know you and allow you to enjoy the world .. they'll make the effort to shower you with warmth, friendship and care.

The world is your playground... the ones who hinder you are not worth your attention. The ones who support you will be your pillars of happiness. It might be a blessing in disguise, seeing as true friends won't act this way.

Btw, I know that you aren't lesbian.. but i'll just say that lesbian people are usually awesome. just some trivia! I'll be around if you need some advice or just someone to rant to.

It's called a tunnel because there's ALWAYS a light at the end.

rant to me if there's anything!

http://www.teenhelp.org/private.php?do=newpm&u=27464

screwdriverneedsgas

As usual... pm me if you are ever having a tough day, and I'll respond immediately.

You guys deserve to be happy no matter what.. okay? You people are a bunch of lovelies ... and no matter what, you people deserve to be happy.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Name: Everly

Re: Lesbian Rumours.... - January 10th 2016, 07:21 PM

When I was in high school, people spread those same rumors about me. Another rumor was that I wanted to get an artificial insemination so I could have a baby. My point is that rumors happen. They're only rumors. What matters is how you feel about yourself. When people are unhappy, they will talk badly about others. It's just a way of them trying to push others down so that they can feel "better than" because they can't validate themselves as people. You know your truth. Case closed. Ignore it. Eventually they'll get bored and start rumors about other people. Bullies thrive off of getting reactions. Don't give them a reaction.

Closed Thread