TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives    Valentine's Resource

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Peer Pressure and Bullying Social pressure can take many different forms, including intimidation, bullying and even physical attacks. If you feel you could be a victim or perpetrator (who wishes to stop) of bullying, talk about it here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
TH Anonymous Offline
Average Joe

shaming lifestyle choices that are off mainstream but help me - March 27th 2018, 12:33 PM

[SIZE="a"]Feel free to move if it doesnt fit. Basically I'm noticing a change in my period and it is scaring me because it seems when I go on and off my food restrictions (for health purposes, not ED but I have ED tendencies and I would rather go over this with a doctor but there's a stigma even among professionals) it affects my moods and stuff. I want to be consistent but the social pressures are a big factor in me caving in. Literally being embarrassed by siblings and shamed or witnessing others being shamed by various people and sources. And also it can be expensive and a hassle and I don't like putting people through things like that. Also I have a personal craving and a history of being somewhat addicted to the particular thing I'm cutting out. It is common for people who are intolerant to a food item to be simoltaneously addicted to it. So it is already an internal struggle as it is. Plus staying overall healthy and getting all my nutrients. But I'm not living independently and do need others to know sometimes. And sometimes when I'm stressed I eat it anyway because my family make shaming comments about prople who do t eat it while they are eating it. And then they leave it put and don't have alternatives. And I try to make do with what else I can find but sometimes it isn't enough and I'm still hungry. But it is almost like I get withdrawals or something weird when I stop and start and stop again.

I was thinking about this for a while. Now one sinking is diagnosed with an autoimmune disorder that makes her want to go on this same diet as me. And this autoimmune disorder runs very strongly in my family. I really started this at first after my first psychiatric hospitalization in 2014 and noticed a link between my digestive issues and mental health issues and wanted to test if my mental health would improve if I did this diet.

It is a lose lose situation and my counselor has said to me about something else when there's a lose lose situation to ask yourself "what do I want?" so I'm going to go out on a limb and apply that to this situation even though she isn't aware about this diet choice, nor do close friends or pretty much anyone besides some groups online and immediate family and now one of my siblings announced it in a making fun way to my uncle who everyone knows is extremely judgemental. She told him when I wasn't even at that family event but my other sibling told me what happened and said she tried to shush her and then stood up for me before it got put of hand with the shaming behind my back. The one who supported me is the one who is also interested in this diet due to her autoimmune disorder.

Anyhow....how can I keep going with this without feeling so ashamed of myself and then punishing myself/stress eating by binging on the foods that affect me badly? I have a history of breaking this diet in a spiraling downward self harm kind of way. Knowing that it will make me feel bad later but wanting the immediate gratification while also telling myself I deserve bad things/punishment[/size]

(#2 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Verbal venom.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: shaming lifestyle choices that are off mainstream but help me - March 29th 2018, 03:18 PM

Hey,

Something that came to mind when reading this is the use of positive affirmations. Maybe you can make some and then repeat them to yourself when you're feeling badly. For instance, instead of telling yourself you deserve punishment, you could say something like "My body and I deserve to be treated kindly." It sounds like a small thing to do but it can definitely make a big difference over time.

Another thing you can try to do is coping with feelings of shame. Do you have any current coping skills for it? Maybe you can write about it or do some self-care to take care of yourself. Something I do when I feel shame is wrap myself in blankets and lay in bed so I feel more secured.

Hopefully this helps somewhat.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread