TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Peer Pressure and Bullying Social pressure can take many different forms, including intimidation, bullying and even physical attacks. If you feel you could be a victim or perpetrator (who wishes to stop) of bullying, talk about it here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
arctic Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Tim

Cutting weight for a sport - September 7th 2009, 03:56 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of eating disorders, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Being a high school wrestler i think that the whole community of wrestlers in high school are totally pressured by coaches and their teams to cut weight so they can fit into the roster for the team. cutting weight myself totally destroys me inside. i feel like absolute crap not eating or drinking water for usually about a day and a half then going to a practice that's hard as hell to barely make weight. the thing with the sport, at least in my state is that you cut weight and win or dont and lose. its that simple. or in my case cut weight and win only half the time. anyways if any other wrestlers/boxers/mma people want to share a story or something id love to hear. i just wanted to get out what i think and hear what you have to say.

Last edited by Unicorn.; September 7th 2009 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Marked as triggering.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
LittleMiss Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Christine

Re: Cutting weight for a sport - September 7th 2009, 04:47 PM

I'm a weightlifter and, although I haven't competed in national comps, I know people who do and need to be serious about their weight classes.

I know people who don't eat or drink, take celery pills, laxatives, anything to get the weight down in the 24 hours before weighing in.

It's so crucial and I know it must be terrible for you. Especially the days before a big comp.

I'm glad that I'm nearer to a lower class that I will never get into because I'm too tall to be that weight and be healthy.

Happy to talk about anything and everything.
Send me a message any time, my proverbial door is open

Laughter is the best medicine
Q: What's the difference between a surgeon and God?
A: God doesn't think he's a surgeon.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
lost_chil Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Alice

Re: Cutting weight for a sport - September 15th 2009, 03:50 PM

In my opinion I think these people should not have jobs...I mean honestly, whats the big deal with weight? If you weight a bit more, just go into the next rank up. I am tired of seeing coaches and people yelling a kids to start working on their weight if they want to be on teams and all that. It just pisses me off.
Talent Is talent, does not matter how tall, big, small, skinny, fit you are.

I can't stand this whole thing, and thats why I have stayed away from sports my whole life... I know many people who as well, have taken pills and not ate or drink for days just so they can pass on weigh in or whatever.

I think it's just image. Thats all I erally think it is. If it was just talent than it would not be like this.

Thats my take on the subject. Sorry if I offended anyone.

We May Be Miles Apart. But Your Always Closer To The Moon. And Brighter Than The Stars

PM me anytime! =D
  Send a message via MSN to lost_chil Send a message via Skype™ to lost_chil 
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
LittleMiss Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Christine

Re: Cutting weight for a sport - September 15th 2009, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost_chil View Post
In my opinion I think these people should not have jobs...I mean honestly, whats the big deal with weight? If you weight a bit more, just go into the next rank up. I am tired of seeing coaches and people yelling a kids to start working on their weight if they want to be on teams and all that. It just pisses me off.
Talent Is talent, does not matter how tall, big, small, skinny, fit you are.

I can't stand this whole thing, and thats why I have stayed away from sports my whole life... I know many people who as well, have taken pills and not ate or drink for days just so they can pass on weigh in or whatever.

I think it's just image. Thats all I erally think it is. If it was just talent than it would not be like this.

Thats my take on the subject. Sorry if I offended anyone.
I'm not just talking about kid that doe most of the lifters I know are adults.

In weight lifting, how much you weigh is everything. People are ranked in classes because the more you weigh, the more you generally can lift. Also, there is this thing called a sinclair which is a very complicated weight to lifted weight ratio and it's important too. Most of these people have low body fat from training and higher muscle mass.

Unfortunately, talent only gets you so far. Years of training and dedication, do. And if months of training for a certain weightclass are wasted by being XXXg overweight, it's terrible. And if you think about it, you're closer to your true weight, the weight of your working body. Not that poop in your colon that just sits there doing naught. And most of the time, people don't need to do this stuff.

I suppose it's one of those things where, you need to play the sport to understand it.

I'm not offended and I hope I haven't offended you.

Happy to talk about anything and everything.
Send me a message any time, my proverbial door is open

Laughter is the best medicine
Q: What's the difference between a surgeon and God?
A: God doesn't think he's a surgeon.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
OhaiThere Offline
Jay and Boisterous Bob
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: John

Re: Cutting weight for a sport - September 17th 2009, 12:47 AM

I've wrestled for a couple years now, and I must say, it is hands down, the most ridiculous sport when it comes to pure competition.

It's not just the coaches that take it too seriously, but many of the kids that are considered "the best" have only wrestled, and consider it a way of life rather than a sport. In order for the coaches to battle kids like this, they need as much of there team as possible to cut weight/lift/get better and act like it's more than just a sport.

Sometimes, people just need to chill the f**k out.

Closed Thread