TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Peer Pressure and Bullying Social pressure can take many different forms, including intimidation, bullying and even physical attacks. If you feel you could be a victim or perpetrator (who wishes to stop) of bullying, talk about it here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Shelby Van Helsing
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Shelby

What's wrong with Buddhism? - October 9th 2010, 04:45 PM

I don't let people tell me what to believe; I'm the sole white Buddhist in a Baptist town. At school people tell me I am damned, that I am an abomination. They take my Siddharta necklace and mock it. Plus, they insult me because I'm a straight girl who hangs out with gays and apparantly, I look like I'm on heroin.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
FŁhrer of the sausage people
I can't get enough

Re: What's wrong with Buddhism? - October 9th 2010, 05:10 PM

Christians as a religion hate everyone who isn't in their cult so I'm guessing that's why. And because if this they probably see you as a target. It's probably just stupid children though.

And to answer the thread title nothing is wrong with it (y)

(#3 (permalink)) Old
taylalatbh. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Taylala

Re: What's wrong with Buddhism? - October 9th 2010, 05:36 PM

There's nothing wrong with it, no. Some religions just dislike other religions. Just ignore them all, if you are happy with your faith then that's all that matters.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: What's wrong with Buddhism? - October 9th 2010, 08:38 PM

It's not that there's anything wrong with Buddhism. It's that you're in a town where if you believe whatever else, other than their belief, you're absolutely doomed, insulted, etc... . Most probably don't understanding anything of Buddhism so they're not insulting you because they disagree with the philosophies of Buddhism. It would be the same if it was a Christian being insulted and their belief spat on, such as tearing the crucifix from their necklace and pissing on it, emptying their backpack, finding a bible and setting it on fire. Whatever the attacking religion is, its members very likely know nothing of the religion being beat down. They beat it down because it's not the same as theirs and for Christianity, whatever doesn't agree, it inherently evil, an abomination, etc... .

There's no great advice, other than hide it up (i.e. the Siddharta necklace) and just tolerate it. You may want to consider buying a bible and such, and act like you agree with it because that's the easiest way to avoid getting the heat. At home or where safe, toss off the rubbish and be yourself with the Siddharta necklace and Buddhist practices. Perhaps there's a Buddhist temple near you or a group of Buddhists you could practice with.

I say practice not in the sense of preaching but in the sense of doing what the beliefs specify because I don't know enough of it to refer to specific proper names.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Opal Offline
Not a n00b

Re: What's wrong with Buddhism? - October 10th 2010, 04:45 AM

I absolutely agree with the above poster. There's not much point being open about it in a town like that. Hide it until you leave home. Be yourself at home if it's not an issue there but wearing your symbols at school will just make you a target.

There is nothing inherently wrong with buddhism or christianity. It's what people do with it that matters.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Metal♥Lover Offline
Looking For Someone Like Me.
Regular TeenHelper

Name: April

Re: What's wrong with Buddhism? - October 11th 2010, 12:16 AM

Hey, I hope you are doing fine.
My answer to your question is that there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with Buddhism. This is coming from a former Christian (now a Pagan) who has a Buddhist brother, a Wiccan sister, a Christian mother, and a possibly-Atheist father. My mother taught my siblings and I to never discriminate against or make fun of a person due to their religion. I find it sad that your classmates have never been taught such things, and they should be ashamed for mocking you and your religious beliefs.
However, like the two posters above me have said, if you really don't want to be teased for your religion then maybe the best option for you would be to fake-convert to Baptism, but only in front of your classmates. Then at home you can set all of the Christian stuff aside and wear your Siddharta necklace, ect. The idea of hiding who you are does not sound very appealing, I know, but if you want the teasing and mocking to stop...well, then that's really all you can do.

♥Check Out My Social Group ♥.::For The Imperfect People::.♥

(#7 (permalink)) Old
:)
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Elizabeth

Re: What's wrong with Buddhism? - October 11th 2010, 06:49 AM

There's nothing wrong with Buddhism! Being happy with it is what matters I see that you don't let people tell you what to believe. Keep going strong!

Laugh as much as you breathe
and love as long as you live

(#8 (permalink)) Old
MegaMadness Offline
Fight My Llama
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Megan

Re: What's wrong with Buddhism? - October 11th 2010, 07:31 AM

There is nothing wrong with Buddhism. I actually respect that religion alot. Don't worry about what others think. If you are happy with your religion thats all that matters.

Come on boys, come on girls
In this crazy, crazy world
Youíre the diamonds, youíre the pearls
Letís make a new tomorrow
Come on girls, come on boys
Itís your future, itís your choice
And your weapon is your voice
Letís make a new tomorrow
Today
follow me please. I'll follow back. http://photographicjournal.tumblr.com/

(#9 (permalink)) Old
JessKilljoy Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jess

Re: What's wrong with Buddhism? - October 11th 2010, 01:04 PM

Theres nothing wrong with it. Ignore what there saying it's probably because you don't believe what they do or there immature and don't have any respect for any type of religion.

Everybody wants to change the world, but no one...no one wants to die.

06.10.2010 - the day my dreams came true. <3
  Send a message via MSN to JessKilljoy  
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Twinge Offline
Forever we'll just lay here
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Vint Fall

Re: What's wrong with Buddhism? - October 11th 2010, 07:30 PM

same here,no respect for other religions, no respect for gays. i can easily say that this place is full of shallow people, you can't even say what you really believe in.

but why let that stop you? you should be proud of who you are, your actually one of the 3% good people out there. don't listen to what they say either, they're not the judge of you. it took me time to understand that for my experience, later people stopped bugging me because i ignore their pointless comments that are meant to bring me down, and guess what, they just don't. stay unique and go on, especially a person like you deserves that.

i'm not sure how a siddharta necklace looks like but you can hide it away and go along with what they say just to get pass the uncomfortable situation of them insulting you. i nod, plus i didn't admit my real religion to an all (passionate)christian school that i'm currently in, possible won't ever. it's a personal thing. they shouldn't go all sneaking on my stuff and only my business so that they can mock me, obviously they have no life if they do that.

I moved back while
my head was turned.

Upside down
closer to the end.

Afraid of the dark
within future times.

I'm drowning there,
my final chase.

Last edited by Twinge; October 11th 2010 at 07:40 PM.

Closed Thread