TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount51

Edit avatar

Exclamation Should medication become a consideration? - October 20th 2013, 08:31 AM

So recently I've been very concerned for my mental health. I wanted to know what some outside opinions would say on the matter, so I can maybe feel more sure with myself. Help would be much appreciated.

To start off I should say that I've had anxiety and depression issues pretty much... All my life. Mainly anxiety and strange fears. It's kind of embarrassing but if it helps, a list of my fears I've had are toilets, bathrooms(anything on this topic), weather, tornadoes, germs, cleaning dishes, and people. Most of these I have absolutely no clue why they scare me. I really do mean it when I say I am though. For example, when I go into a public bathroom I'll start shaking. If I have to flush a toilet, I'll start panicking. I have no idea what I'm afraid of though.

To continue I've been through some pretty big life struggles through the past year. Sadly I've had to experience rape, extreme betrayal, and other things which I'd rather not go into detail with. Recently these things have been catching up on me, I have been fearing everything. It's becoming to the point where I don't want to leave my house or get a job. I'm scared of seeing these people who've hurt me. I feel as though my life is always like walking on a tight rope. That fear that things could go wrong at any moment. I just can't stand it anymore. I end up having mini panic attacks a few times a day. Mainly during the night or after being confronted with a stressful situation or movie.

I also have terrible problems sleeping, I get maybe 3-5 hours a night because I can't manage to fall asleep until 8am every day. Even if I'm dead tired.
My nails are down to the nubs, my lips are just scar tissue, I've been making many scars on my body, I've been finding some relief in snapping elastics because I don't want to cut.

I just slowly feel like I'm going more and more insane. I don't want to stay here anymore but I don't have a choice. I've been through counselling but they did nothing for me. I've refused medication in the past but I'm strongly starting to consider it. Do you think it's best? Any opinion would be lovely.

Thank you all
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
HelpfulHeart Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Teleea

Points: 6,596, Level: 11 Points: 6,596, Level: 11 Points: 6,596, Level: 11

Re: Should medication become a consideration? - October 20th 2013, 10:18 AM

When you want to know how to deal with depression you'll find that there are lots of alternative treatments. They are things you can do, and remedies you can take. You can overcome depression - beating it for ever - without ''drugs''

Natural Depression Remedies including herbal, homeopathic, nutritional and Ayurvedic. Light therapy: we have become rather shy of the sun with all the warnings about cancer. Don’t forget, though - the sun is life-giving. Aerobic exercise: there's plenty evidence that it works. Counselling, Meditation and even Music Therapy.

Best of luck xo

Keep your heart open to dreams. For as long as there's a dream, there is hope, and as long as there is hope, there is joy in living.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I've been here a while

Name: Sarah

Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31

Re: Should medication become a consideration? - October 20th 2013, 12:21 PM

You certainly seem to have a lot of things going on for you at the moment and a lot of fears. I understand how embarrassing it can be to have a fear of something that's uncommon but I want to reassure you that you're not the only one with multiple fears and nor are you the only one who has a fear of some of the less common things. I suffer mottephobia, the fear of moths and butterflies. It's ok for everyone else who isn't afraid of the things we are but for us ourselves, these things can be truly terriying. Moths I'm not so bad with anymore but butterflies are horrible and as soon as one starts flapping near me or even if I see one close by, I start panicking inside and if one gets too close I'll either just scream or burst into tears because to me they're that terrifying, to anyone else, they won't understand yet they forget they too suffer a fear of something that you or I don't. With a lot of phobias, they're actually a repressed childhood memory. We might not remember how we came to have a fear of what we do but the cause of it is through something that happened as child and we interpret it to be something else. Your fear of toilets may not be that something actually happened to you with a toilet as a child but the toilet just so happened to be there which has become a phobia. A person I know who had a serious fear of flying in planes, his phobia came to be solely because as a child he fell out of a tall tree and he remembers that flying motion as he fell to the ground. Phobias, especially non-living ones, are actually easier to cure as phobias in general are curable. Although you may have to be exposed to the thing you fear, eventually you'll overcome it and you'll feel much better for it. If you're interested in getting over some of your fears, try speaking to your GP because they can really help you!

As for your fear of germs, although there are phobias of the germ type, the fear of getting germs can often be OCD-related because of sexual abuse in one form or another which manifests as a 'germ' feeling. As you've said you've been through rape, your fear of germs may have come from this experience. The best thing again to truly determine what fear is classed as a phobia and what is classed as something else is best determined by your GP.

Your social issues I can understand very well, in fact a lot of other people here at TeenHelp suffer the same and many have terrible social anxiety for one reason or another. Yours, because of your betrayal has caused you to not want to talk to other people for the fear of betrayal again and those feelings of getting hurt. In a way, think of this positively. Because of all those times you've been hurt by people who've betrayed you for one reason or another, it makes you less trusting towards other people and makes you much more cautious, this in turn will allow you to be able to get to know people more and in a certain way because you'll be able to see certain patters present in people you've just met and you can then compare them to people who've hurt you in the past which can help you to determine whether or not you feel you can place your trust in them.

Your sleeping problems, or insomnia, is often because our minds have racing thoughts or we just constantly think too much in general, our bodies may be tired but our mind just keeps on going and going. This may be another thing you may need to speak to your GP about because they can give you something to help relax your body and help you sleep better at night. There are ways of relaxing your mind and your body on your own such as controlling your breathing, clearing your mind and thinking of a place that you find relaxing, then as you think of it, continue controlling your breathing until you enter that state of calm, after, you'll soon slowly drift off to sleep because you're completely relaxed.

I know you've had counselling in the past and as you've said they've done nothing for you, but remember that each counsellor is different and have their own way of working through things. I've had 2 different counsellors and their methods of how they work are quite different from each other. You may need to find a different counsellor and one that works for you or even a different counselling service entirely. There are different types of counselling services, some are just general all round counselling services which provide an ear and then there's the more specific ones which focus on bereavement, sexual abuse, childhood neglect and so on, again it's finding the right one that's best for you.

Finally, in regards to medication, there are lots of different types of medication and not all medication works for everyone. Your GP will have to take sometime in trying to fin the right type of medication and at the correct dosage for you. There's so many differet types of anti-depressants out there and some of them are better for some people than for others. Some anti-depressants can also be a sedative, you take one at night and they help you get some sleep and then you'll wake up feeling more refreshed in the morning, other medication can have a lot of other side-effects which some people find unpleasant. This isn't to put you off considering them but I just want to explain the potential downside so you're not caught unaware in thinking they're going to be of great help without realising there are negatives to having them too.
Closed Thread