TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Daydreamer Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Megan

Points: 10,990, Level: 15 Points: 10,990, Level: 15 Points: 10,990, Level: 15

Advice on Medication, would like some advice - August 6th 2010, 02:04 AM

Hey everyone. I'm thinking of talking to my dr about going on medication for my anxiety, while I'm at home, and then when I get back to school talking to a counselor once a week. I've been looking around online, and to be honest everything I'm seeing is just scaring me even more. A lot of the drugs have these horrible side effects, weight gain, thoughts of suicide, being the most terrifying at the moment. I'm so tired of feeling scared every time someone doesn't call me back, I'm tired of feeling like everyone hates me and is talking about me behind my back, and I'm tired of EVERY LITTLE SCARY THOUGHT turning into something that I just fixate on and fixate on. I'm so scared I'm never going to stop worrying and being anxious, but the thought of wanting to kill myself?! I don't know if I can handle that. I guess what I'm looking for is someone whose been there. Their experience with the drugs, with anxiety, and treatment and what drugs worked for them/made them feel worse. Thanks in advance for the help. I'm sorry if this is really long, and obsessive...but I'd really appreciate some help

-Megan
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
PlayingPretend Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Elliotte

Points: 20,004, Level: 20 Points: 20,004, Level: 20 Points: 20,004, Level: 20

Re: Advice on Medication, would like some advice - August 6th 2010, 02:50 AM

I understand that fear. I have a friend whose mother won't let her go on any sort of medication because of the potential side effects, but here's the thing - a lot of the more serious side effects are rare enough that they don't appear in a whole lot of cases (from what I've heard and been told by people on medication and by my psychiatrists). They have to be listed because they are possibilities, but just because something is possible, it doesn't mean it's guaranteed.

Honestly, starting medication could be good for you. Sure, you may run the risk of having some of these side affects you're reading about (they're side affects of many medications), but that doesn't mean they're guaranteed to happen to you or that they're even likely. It really is dependent on the person. What is guaranteed to happen is that you will feel better. Maybe not immediately, but the medication (along with therapy) will start helping you with your anxiety so that you can better manage your daily life.

I tend to look at medication as a crutch, and your doctors are there to help teach you how to use those crutches. I remember when I broke my foot. It wasn't like they handed me a pair of crutches and that was it, no, they held my hand and taught me step by step how to use them and in a myriad of situations. It's similar with medication. Your psychiatrist should be there with you, step by step, to help you go up on doses until you reach the right dose, to manage any potential side affects and so on and so forth.

If you experience a negative side affect, your doctor should be there for you (almost on-call) and many will make themselves as available as they can and provide you with resources in case you can't get in touch with them. Have you spoken to your doctor about a plan should you experience more negative side effects? This might help ease some of your anxiety about going on the medication at all.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Daydreamer Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Megan

Points: 10,990, Level: 15 Points: 10,990, Level: 15 Points: 10,990, Level: 15

Re: Advice on Medication, would like some advice - August 6th 2010, 03:03 AM

Thanks that helps a lot. I think that I'm going to start with seeing a therapist FIRST, before going to my doctor, just because the thought of medication sends me off like that, and hopefully once we've established a relationship I can become more comfortable with the idea knowing that he'll be there every week to support me.
Closed Thread