TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
bee Offline
Not a n00b

Points: 10,105, Level: 14 Points: 10,105, Level: 14 Points: 10,105, Level: 14

College - December 29th 2011, 10:43 AM

So, having social anxiety problems for a long time (so severe I dropped out of school), it was a big step for me to get into college, especially doing something I've been interested in for a long time. But even though I'm not as bad as I was with school, I still dread it. I go back in a weeks time and I've been crying and stressing about it for days. Sometimes I think that I'm just not as interested in it as I think (which is a possibility I guess). Everyday I've been there I've gotten there and just wanted to be at home, is that just me being lazy? I feel so awkward there, so out of place. It doesn't help that I don't really get on with anyone there and I thought this would bring an oppurtunity to make friends.. obviously not. I had councelling for years and it just didn't help me. What do I do?

sooner or later though, you always have to w a k e u p

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Katrina Offline
you only live once.
I can't get enough

Name: Katrina

Points: 26,125, Level: 23 Points: 26,125, Level: 23 Points: 26,125, Level: 23

Re: College - December 29th 2011, 02:56 PM

Hey there, Bee.

Sorry to hear that things at school haven't been going so well for you. I'm wondering if there's anything particularly that you think might be the source of your anxiety at school, or if its just things in general? That is, do you think the social aspect is causing you more anxiety than the course load that you're taking?

At any rate, I think its very important to have support as you go through things like this. I think that life was meant to be lived together and that people were meant to love and support one another through their hardships. Do you have access to any sort of guidance counselor at school that you might be able to speak with about this? On one level, they can provide you with a listening ear and with someone to process through things with you. On another level, they might be able to help you seek certain accommodations (if you've been diagnosed with GAD or anything like that).

From what you've written, your motivators behind why you don't want to be at school don't seem like laziness to me. In fact, the whole notion that you're looking for help on this shows that you're quite motivated to see change, and that's a very important factor in making the change that you'd like to see happen, happen.

It sounds like going to college is something you've wanted to do for a long time, and I do think you should stick with it. I used to get severe anxiety about going to school (mostly English/speaking classes), but then I realized they only stemmed from my fear of public speaking, and the only thing that I was really scared of was the public speaking! I promptly enrolled myself in a public speaking course (and let me tell you, the weeks leading up to it were the most anxiety-filled, miserable weeks of my life), but I'm totally okay with giving speeches now! So, I say that to go back to what I was originally saying to see if there's anything you can pinpoint that's making you anxious, and going from there.

If you were still in school but weren't feeling anxious, what things would you be doing differently? What changes would you be noticing in yourself? What changes would you be noticing in others? Just a few hypothetical questions for you there that I think might help us brainstorm on what to do next!

Thinking of you, and I hope everything goes well. Hang in there.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
punk rocker with attitude
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Jennifer

Points: 16,645, Level: 18 Points: 16,645, Level: 18 Points: 16,645, Level: 18

Re: College - December 29th 2011, 03:06 PM

I am anxious in public settings like college, I've decided to take ITT tech online. So now I am able to be in school and not be anxious. It is harder work since you're your own boss and running your own schedule all week to meet your dates.

You can't live a positive life with a negative mind and if you have a positive outcome you have a positive income and just to have more positivity and just to kind of laugh it off. ~ Miley Cyrus

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Siren❤ Offline
Average Joe

Name: ILH♡

Points: 8,186, Level: 13 Points: 8,186, Level: 13 Points: 8,186, Level: 13

Re: College - December 29th 2011, 04:25 PM

I had to drop out of college recently due to anxiety and fears over it all... I find it very hard socially, so I do understand where you are coming from. I too felt like I was somehow possibly lazy for not wanting to go in or get on with the work... but for me I reckon it was a sub-consious thing to do with my anxiety problems etc.
I hope things work out for you.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
bee Offline
Not a n00b

Points: 10,105, Level: 14 Points: 10,105, Level: 14 Points: 10,105, Level: 14

Re: College - January 5th 2012, 08:45 AM

Thanks so much for your replies everyone. I just think im not well suited to this course after a lot of thinking, but I dont know what else I can do... I cant just do another course but I wouldnt be able to get a job so im really stuck now.

sooner or later though, you always have to w a k e u p

Closed Thread