TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Anxiety This forum is for seeking advice on anxiety and stress related issues.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Alex95 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Alex

Shaking - August 28th 2012, 09:06 PM

For a long, long time I've had hand tremors. I've yet to discover what causes them, but I thought I'd put this in Anxiety as I've noticed that they can get much worse when under stress. At first I thought it was too much caffeine, so I got rid of it completely, and the tremors stayed. Sometimes if I go to the shop and buy something, if one tiny thing makes me embarrassed/stressed the tremors can become very extreme, very awkward when taking a receipt from a purchase for example.. can't even grab it :P Other similar situations like that are in restaurants or when around fairly large groups of people. But I still don't know for sure what causes it. Would it be good to go see a doctor? Thanks.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer

Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: Shaking - August 28th 2012, 10:46 PM

Muscle spasms can be a physiological side effect of anxiety. It’s not common, but not uncommon either. If you are having physiological side effects of anxiety in the forms of muscle spasms there is a good likelihood that it is affecting other things such as blood pressure. I would say to definitely mention it to your doctor. It might be nothing, but it could be something. Only a doctor can tell for sure.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for nine years::
~Blessed Be~

(#3 (permalink)) Old
forever_hannah Offline
Save the Savior
Average Joe

Name: Hannah

Re: Shaking - August 30th 2012, 07:28 PM

I agree with Lizzie in that you should mention it to your doctor. I just wanted to add that the same sort of thing has happened to me and you're not crazy or anything haha. I had a sort of breakdown this summer and I was dealing with a lot of anxiety and I did notice that my hands were always shaking. Sometimes it was worse than others, like when I was having a panic attack I could barely hold anything. So from my experience, anxiety could be a part of what you're going through, but I'd definitely see a doctor about it.
Take care,
Hannah

Hope is real. Help is real. LOVE is the movement.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Re: Shaking - August 30th 2012, 07:38 PM

I don't see why you would assume it's anxiety.
A lot of prescription and OTC medications can cause tremors, as well as a long list of medical conditions relating to the nervous system or muscle function.
While it could be anxiety, I would go to a doctor with an open mind and see what they think before you mention it to them.

If it is anxiety and they give you medication for it, guess what a very common side effect is. You guessed it, hand tremors.

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
forever_hannah Offline
Save the Savior
Average Joe

Name: Hannah

Re: Shaking - August 30th 2012, 07:52 PM

I wouldn't assume that anxiety was the only cause, just saying that it was possible. When it happened to me, I wasn't taking any medication and once I started taking medicine and going to therapy to help with anxiety it's stopped completely while before it was pretty much constant.

I was just sharing my personal experience, but I do think you should see a doctor and don't just make up your mind that it's anxiety. But I would mention the anxiety if it's relevant, which I think it is, because you said that it seems to get a lot worse when you're under stress. Anyway, that's just my two cents. I'm not a doctor or anything obviously. Good luck!

Hope is real. Help is real. LOVE is the movement.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread