TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Anxiety and Stress This forum is for seeking advice on anxiety and stress related issues.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
YoungK9 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Points: 11,113, Level: 15 Points: 11,113, Level: 15 Points: 11,113, Level: 15

How to reduce anxiety while driving? - September 2nd 2013, 06:09 PM

Yesterday, I drove for the first time, I was horrible!I couldn't even go in straight line & almost hit a fence.

I'm really scared to drive, I don't want to crash or hurt anyone. I want to start driving though, but I'm terrified to drive again.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Points: 77,329, Level: 39 Points: 77,329, Level: 39 Points: 77,329, Level: 39

Re: How to reduce anxiety while driving? - September 2nd 2013, 07:16 PM

I'm not sure where you live, but in the United States, if you're 16, you need to get your driver's permit first. You need to have an experienced adult with you during that initial phase. Make sure the adult you select isn't high-strung... make sure the person you select is calm and able to provide feedback without yelling/berating you. That's really the most important thing. Not only will they be a second pair of eyes and ears, but they'll be able to provide instant feedback on how to handle various situations you might face on the road.

When I first started driving (I was around your age at the time), I was a nervous wreck! My father had me drive on the freeway, at night, and go for two hours nonstop (I almost drove off a windy mountain road at one point - after that, merging onto the freeway seemed a lot less scary). As strange as it sounds, though, jumping right into the experience with a trusted adult at my side made the learning process go much more smoothly afterward. I was a cautious driver, and I made some small mistakes, but over the course of several months, I steadily became more confident. The key is to drive regularly - let's say every other day at the very least. It will eventually become habitual, and will lose its intensity over time.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
YoungK9 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: How to reduce anxiety while driving? - September 2nd 2013, 08:41 PM

I'm from the states-Wisconsin-if that matters.

Both my parents tended to be High Strung,& yell when something isn't done right.So yea,& don't know who I'd choose.

This is embarrassing, but I'm too really short. Don't know how I'll deal with that.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount32

Edit avatar

Re: How to reduce anxiety while driving? - September 2nd 2013, 09:45 PM

I can definitely relate to this. When I first started driving, like Robin, I was a wreck. The first time I drove on the road, I couldn't go in a straight line either and wound up hitting a snowbank. It was okay, no one was hurt or anything, but I was horribly embarrassed at the time and absolutely dreaded the next time I drove. Now, I look back on that and can't help but laugh a little!

Needless to say, after many hours practice, I'm a much better driver. While I'm still wary about driving in unfamiliar areas, my anxiety around driving has gone way down. I can hop in the car and drive myself somewhere without thinking twice about it. How are you learning to drive? Are you with your parents? A driving school? Here in the US the driving instructors have brakes on their side of the car so they can stop you if something happens (at least my driving school did). It might be worth taking a few lessons with them before going out on the road with your parents if you're not feeling confident in your abilities for that reason, and also because they're more professional and perhaps relaxed. I think parents tend to be more high-strung when it comes to teaching their kids how to drive and might make you more nervous in the long-run. (I don't know about you, but my mom and I still have screaming matches in the car whenever I'm driving!!) Once you get some practice under your belt, you can move on up to driving your parents' cars without the extra set of brakes. If both of your parents are too nervous to teach you to drive, could you perhaps ask a relative? I know that my aunt gave me some pretty good driving lessons when my mom wasn't able to at some points! (My dad doesn't drive due to legal blindness.)

If you're not even feeling ready to go out on the road yet, maybe you want to start slower. My mom had me drive around in an empty parking lot before she allowed me to go out on the road. That helped me greatly and allowed me to get a feel for what driving was like without having to maneuver too many obstacles or worry about other cars. So that's definitely something to think about.

It's natural to be scared of driving when you first start. And it's certainly understandable that you don't want to crash or hurt anyone. But give it some time and take it slow, and before you know it, you'll have it down pat! Believe me, I never thought I'd be driving like I am now, and now it just comes naturally. Don't be discouraged; it just takes some practice!! As for your height, a lot of cars have adjustable seats that will accommodate your height. In fact, that's the first thing they always had me do in driving school: adjust my seat and mirrors. If you're not sure how to adjust the seat in the particular car you're driving, be sure to ask the person you're with!

Best of luck!
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
CorrieUSMC Offline
Ghost Rider
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Corrie

Points: 12,511, Level: 16 Points: 12,511, Level: 16 Points: 12,511, Level: 16

Re: How to reduce anxiety while driving? - September 2nd 2013, 10:11 PM

I think its normal for anyone to be anxious when you first start driving; it is a really big deal! You are in control of a 2 ton machine. The first thing you need to do is:

1) Keep breathing!
2) Make sure anything that would distract you is turned off! (Cell phones, pager, music that is too loud, make sure you don't have loud & annoying friends in the car with you.)
3) Take a deep breath!

The only thing that will get you better at driving, is driving! You have to just keep trying.

I also suggest, if you don't already, trying to start driving in a Car that has a automatic transmission versus a manual transmission. As much as I advocate Manual transmissions being better, its always better to start off in a Automobile that you can concentrate on driving, not having to shift gears.

Also remember, you don't have to go the Speed Limit (55 MPH in most states.) You can go a little lower (I.E. 50 MPH or so) or just stay off the freeways, highways, etc. Until you feel alright driving at highway speeds.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
YoungK9 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: How to reduce anxiety while driving? - September 15th 2013, 07:19 PM

Could a mod. please close this thread? Thanks

(#7 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Points: 77,329, Level: 39 Points: 77,329, Level: 39 Points: 77,329, Level: 39

Re: How to reduce anxiety while driving? - September 15th 2013, 11:53 PM

The OP has told me they have found a solution and no longer need support/advice. As a result, I am closing this thread. To the OP: if you need additional support/advice in the future, feel free to create a new thread or PM me to have this thread reopened! =)

Closed Thread