TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Anxiety This forum is for seeking advice on anxiety and stress related issues.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Aintzane411 Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Oliver

Exclamation I'm really worried for my best friend - October 3rd 2013, 04:08 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of suicide, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread therefore might not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Hi guys.

So, my best friend moved 400 miles away to college this fall, and yesterday she told me she's been really stressed. It's to the point that she was beginning to wonder how long it would take to hit the bottom of the gulch outside her 10th-floor window.

Also, over the past two days she said she's gotten about 4 hours of sleep. She says that she just lays there for hours, mind racing, until she can finally calm down enough, but then she doesn't sleep, only falls into lucid dreaming, before the cycle repeats all over again.

My friend has (in my opinion) had big issues with anxiety in the past, and her 17 units in college this semester definitely isn't helping. She called the counseling services on campus today, but was told there was a three-week wait. They gave her other low-cost options, but she doesn't want to go because it's too far away via public transportation.

I do not think that she can wait three weeks. As far as I know, she's still on her parents' medical insurance, so I told her that she should call the advice nurse and get their opinion, and maybe try to schedule an appointment with a doctor. I don't think she'll go for it, though. She's determined to not miss a single class, and is running on empty.

I would love if anyone has some advice or tips that I could pass along, or maybe some resources I could send her way. I'm crazy worried about her, but am at a loss of what to do.

TL;DR: My best friend is having severe anxiety, to the point of potentially suicidal thoughts, and I desperately need advice for her.

Thank you so much for reading!
  Send a message via AIM to Aintzane411  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Thereishope Offline
Skittles Minion & Fish Thrower
I can't get enough

Name: Michael

Re: I'm really worried for my best friend - October 8th 2013, 12:36 AM

First of all, I would suggest she see a doctor or someone about this. I understand how she doesn't want to miss class for something like this but if it's not taken under control soon then things would just get harder and worse for her. You could suggest they signup here and get support here as well through the various options. Not really sure of any other online resources. Hope I've helped some!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Re: I'm really worried for my best friend - October 8th 2013, 12:52 AM

Hi,

You are a really great friend for caring about her so much.
Possibly suggest to her that she drop some classes. Seventeen units is a lot of work to do and colleges have add/drop periods. Also, if the add/drop period is over, she can withdraw, that would put a W on her transcript but this would not be counted against her. She can talk to her advisor about this; most advisors are very understanding (or they are at my school).
Keep encouraging her to go see the doctor or visit some of the low-cost options the counseling center offered her. These are all of the suggestions I can think of for now and I hope they are helpful.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

Closed Thread