TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Anxiety and Stress This forum is for seeking advice on anxiety and stress related issues.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
anonymouswhale Offline
Every note makes up a symphony
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Kat

Points: 11,142, Level: 15 Points: 11,142, Level: 15 Points: 11,142, Level: 15

Emetophobia & Anxiety - October 29th 2013, 06:33 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of eating disorders, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Hi there,

I'm wondering if anybody's experienced this and could offer some support...

My therapist just "diagnosed" me with emetophobia. This basically causes crippling anxiety for me, and I can't eat within a few hours of leaving my apartment, I can't go out to dinner, and I take prescription anti-nausea pills to decrease my anxiety.

Still, I have lost a lot of weight and am worried for myself. I need to gain weight but I'm too afraid to eat anything that's not extremely simple and plain.

What did you do to help get over your anxiety of eating? I'm working with a therapist but really feel alone in my struggle. Ugh.

I guess I just need to know I'm not alone, somehow.

"It is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness"-Chinese Proverb

Piano, Flute, Bassoon, Acoustic Guitar, Cello, Electric Guitar

LiveHelp Operator August 13th, 2012 General Forum ModeratorDecember 22, 2012 Videos Officer March 19th 2013
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Dream Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Points: 13,394, Level: 16 Points: 13,394, Level: 16 Points: 13,394, Level: 16

Re: Emetophobia & Anxiety - October 29th 2013, 08:12 PM

Maybe you could try consuming the same amount of food you need but in smaller meals? Smaller meals are easier on the stomach (or rather, overeating is more difficult on it).

The other thing would be to make sure all your food is fresh and thoroughly cooked. That will minimize the chance that it will make you sick, and it will make it easier to go and stay down.

Third, avoid things that cause too much stomach acid like caffiene, alcohol, hot spices, onions and garlic, oily foods, etc..

Finally, drink water with everything to help stabilize your stomach (as opposed to sodas or coffee, which have caffiene and can upset your stomach).

Sorry I don't have good advice for dealing with the anixety. It sounds like the anxiety is worse than actually vomitting though. Maybe do things to relax and that you enjoy, and ensure you get adequate sunlight and sleep. Those things will promote serotonin, which will help your stomach. All I know is that having adequate serotonin is good for your stomach and good for anxiety whereas too much anxiety puts a strain on your stomach.

Feel free to PM me if you want to talk more about any of these or handling anxiety in general.

Closed Thread