TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Anxiety and Stress (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f205-anxiety-stress/)
-   -   Anxiety when excited about something? (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f205-anxiety-stress/t126482-anxiety-when-excited-about-something/)

Mellissaann__ December 9th 2013 07:19 PM

Anxiety when excited about something?

So this has just recently been happening. I have this friend that makes me really happy, our two families are really close and they're just great. We do a lot together and I LOVE that we do so much together. But whenever we do something big or fun with them such as going shopping or having them over for dinner I always get anxiety. I wake up excited and tell myself that its going to be fine and I'll have fun but my anxiety ruins it. When we do things with them all I want to do is have fun... My hands shake, I feel hot and dizzy, and I feel sick to my stomach and almost as if I'm going to throw up if I eat something...So most of the time I don't eat much and feel even worse. Were spending all day together on New Years eve, and I can't not eat. Does anyone else have this? Or does anyone know how to get over this? Its taking away my happiness and fun because I get excited and make myself sick.

Yours Truly December 9th 2013 08:06 PM

Re: Anxiety when excited about something?

I have that problem too. I don't really have any friends that live close to me, they're all 'internet friends' but I've met them in person numerous times.. a couple of them, anyway.

My 18th birthday for example.. I drove four hours to see my favorite band with a couple of these 'internet friends' of mine.. I was so so so excited to see them These people I talk to every single day online/texting/facetime/etc.. I'm totally fine with the idea of seeing them and what not, but then I get there and I'm beyond anxious, nervous, sweating, feeling sick and dizzy, etc.. Or, like, I love watching soccer games. I go to my younger brothers games all the time since there isn't a league for me to play in anymore.. I get excited to go, but then I go and I'm really anxious/nervous and I've never really been able to find a reason why. It's almost like I don't want to allow myself to be happy or excited about things because it doesn't happen often so I'm not used to it.. the feeling isn't familiar to me, so I freak out.

As far as getting over it, I just have to continually remind myself to breathe and that chances are no one else around me is this nervous so I shouldn't feel that way either.. Trying to focus on something else.. For me, I focused on the fact that it was my birthday, or that I was seeing one of my favorite bands, or whatever. So.. maybe you could try and focus on the fact that it's new years, and a new year is starting.. find something else to focus on other than whatever you think it is that's making you nervous.

Sorry I can't be of more help to you, seeing as I'm still kind of struggling with the same thing. I'll be checking back to see if anyone else has any better advice. /: But if all else fails, you definitely aren't alone here. <3

DeletedAccount19 December 9th 2013 08:15 PM

Re: Anxiety when excited about something?

I have that problem too. Whenever I get really excited about something, I feel anxious and start stressing or saying things I normally wouldn't say. I think it might have something to do with the ADHD, but everyone have their own reasons for anxiety.

My suggestion is that you pause for a moment, think about the situation, breathe, and tell yourself it'll be okay. What you're getting excited about is a good thing and you want to make said good things a positive memory. You don't want to look back on, say New Year's, and think about how you were holed up in the bathroom throwing water on your face to calm down. You want to remember sitting around the living room table with your family and friends, munching on delicious om noms, counting down until 2014. :)