TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Anxiety and Stress This forum is for seeking advice on anxiety and stress related issues.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
lilygirl Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 5,933, Level: 11 Points: 5,933, Level: 11 Points: 5,933, Level: 11

Can't make friends due to anxiety - May 11th 2014, 10:08 PM

I have always had anxiety, mainly because I wasn't used to being around people at a young age (I was home schooled until fifth grade). I have also gone to 6 different schools since then, so I haven't been able to truly get close to or trust anyone.

This year, I switched to a school that I'll be attending for the rest of highschool (2 more years). I finally have a chance to make lifelong friends, but I have barely even talked to anybody for the whole year and have only made one friend so far.

My social anxiety isn't only limited to talking to people. In class, I feel like I'm glued to my seat because I can't even get up and sharpen my pencil. I'm afraid that everyone is always watching me and judging me. I've never been bullied before, yet I feel paranoid that everyone is talking about me behind my back.

My social anxiety has never been this bad before. I really want to get rid of it and I don't know how. All of my friends from my last school are really outgoing and tell me to "just get over it." I can't just move on from it and they don't understand. Has anyone gone through this before?
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I've been here a while

Name: Sarah

Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31

Re: Can't make friends due to anxiety - May 11th 2014, 11:02 PM

There's nothing worse than wanting to be social and being unable to. When I was at school I was painfully shy and it was so difficult for me to make friends because I felt I'd probably say something stupid or they wouldn't be able to deal with my rather uncommon personality. When I was in lessons, like you I was scared of getting up from my seat to do anything because I felt like people were passing comments about me and I'd get so paranoid that I'd end up staying put until the end of the lesson.

I found it easier to make a few friends closer to the end of school time because my fellow pupils were 'slightly' more maturer than the previous years and I ended up making friends with people who were just as socially anxious and shy as I was. What I found works best is talking to people one to one. When you're in a lesson and you're sat next to someone, ask them if they have a pen you can use, or ask them if there was any homework (even if you know there was/wasn't), little things can be huge ice breakers. Something to consider is seeing if there are any groups or after school clubs you could join. Groups are a great way of meeting people who have similar interests as you and so is a great conversation started because you'll know at least you and whoever you're talking to will have at least one thing in common.
Closed Thread