TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Anxiety and Stress This forum is for seeking advice on anxiety and stress related issues.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
romyx Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 5,661, Level: 11 Points: 5,661, Level: 11 Points: 5,661, Level: 11

anxiety help - May 20th 2014, 07:41 PM

Hey guys, so I'm new to this website and was just wondering if anyone can offer me any advice or if anyone's experienced something similar?

Basically back in January one of my really close friends had a seizure in a lesson at school which I was in, it absolutely terrified me and ever since I've been terrified that it's going to me even though I have been completely healthy my whole life, unlike her who has a history of having seizures ect... I started worrying about it and now I think what I'm getting are symptoms of anxiety, i get strange sensations in my face, my muscles constantly twitch and feel like they're bubbling under my skin, I feel light headed most of the time and just ill. It's only when I'm completely concentrating on something else that it kind of goes away. I've been to see about 5 different doctors about my physical symptoms who have all said it's anxiety and I need to try and not dwell on them as it's not anything serious. It's really effecting me and I find it hard to go anywhere alone, even getting to school is hard for me, I'm in the middle of my GCSE exams which I'm finding it hard to revise for as my mind just keeps wandering and thinking about what's happening to my body, I'm worried I'm not going to get my grades.

Sorry this is kinda deep haha but I was just wondering if anyone's got any advice on how to try and control my anxiety or if any of you have experienced anything similar? Thanksss xx

Last edited by romyx; May 20th 2014 at 07:44 PM. Reason: mistake
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
MsNobleEleanor Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 56,119, Level: 34 Points: 56,119, Level: 34 Points: 56,119, Level: 34

Re: anxiety help - May 20th 2014, 08:19 PM

Hey there!

Our bodies do weird things, sometimes they aren't explained or understood. However, you seen 5 different doctors who all say it's anxiety the chances are it's anxiety. Anxiety can create some very confusing and challenging thoughts and fears because it can take over our minds and body.

Anxiety is caused by fear of something. A lot of people don't have the racing heart but it can come out in anything. For instance, feeling strange sensations all over your body. It could come out as headaches, dizzy, tired, clammy hands, etc., and a lot of people experience anxiety. Anxiety doesn't just happen in kids and teenagers, it happens to adults, elderly, animals, etc., so your not alone.

Have you thoughts about seeing a counselor or social worker? They can help you understand more about your anxiety, ways to handle and control it, what things you can do to prevent an anxiety build up. They can explore with you what things do causes you to have anxiety (like triggers). You could also go back to your family doctor or nurse and talk about counseling with them for your anxiety.

Take Care.

Have questions or would like to chat send me a PM
+
Outreach and Communications Officer
Resource Editor
Community Moderator | Forum Moderator

(#3 (permalink)) Old
0akly Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Star

Points: 7,779, Level: 12 Points: 7,779, Level: 12 Points: 7,779, Level: 12

Re: anxiety help - May 20th 2014, 09:50 PM

I'm really pleased you came on here and wrote this - it must have been tough to do so, thank you.

I used to deal with anxiety and found that breathing exercises helped, getting the right diet and going out on long walks. I would also suggest trying to find someone to talk to when you feel stressed - try using childline (UK) 0800 11 11 if you get really stressed or just want a chat.

This link might help

I wish you all the best and you can talk to me anytime.

You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
romyx Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 5,661, Level: 11 Points: 5,661, Level: 11 Points: 5,661, Level: 11

May 25th 2014, 09:31 PM

thankyou so much for replying, and I've had a look at the link which has really put my mind at ease so thanks for your help!

hey, thanks for the advice and yes I have been referred to a counselor who I'm going to see next week, hopefully she will help me out.

Last edited by Philomath; May 27th 2014 at 11:21 PM. Reason: Merge posts.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Name: Christina
Pronouns: she/they

Points: 29,768, Level: 24 Points: 29,768, Level: 24 Points: 29,768, Level: 24

Re: anxiety help - May 27th 2014, 11:27 PM

I am glad you will be talking to someone next week.
Anxiety can affect us in all sorts of ways. I have been physically sick for weeks (like not able to eat certain foods) because of getting stressed or anxious.
Learning to cope with this anxiety will make you feel a lot better and make life less complicated.
Let us know how things turn out.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."
Closed Thread