TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Anxiety and Stress This forum is for seeking advice on anxiety and stress related issues.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Gbabi Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 7,080, Level: 12 Points: 7,080, Level: 12 Points: 7,080, Level: 12

Anxiety ? - February 1st 2015, 05:12 PM

So let me give a small flashback on my mental health I used to be a selfharmer , I self-harmed for about 2 years and now have been clean for about 4 months I was severely depressed for those 2 years and it got bad in december of '12 and I tried to take my life , but I used to , and recently they started showing up again have these , idk episodes ? Where I start shaking and crying and my body tenses up and sometimes my heart rate speeds up to about 110 beats per minute at resting position and I can't stop them but I didn't know if this was anxiety because I don't feel like I'm going to die , I know I'm not but I more or just want the crying and shaking and rocking back and forth to just stop and when it does I feel more empty than anything . When I used to selfharm I would sometimes do it to stop the shaking and crying and stuff and it would 98% of the time but is this a panic attack ?
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Calaer Offline
I have the Millennium Puzzle
I've been here a while

Name: Calaer

Points: 20,292, Level: 20 Points: 20,292, Level: 20 Points: 20,292, Level: 20

Re: Anxiety ? - February 1st 2015, 06:08 PM

In a general sense it does sound like a panic attack, but everyone experiences them differently depending on their level of anxiety and how they learn to handle it when it does happen, ect. I personally can't breathe, and it feels as though I'm having a heart attack, but I'm getting better at coping, so it's less physically painful. I hope this helps. Feel free to PM me if you need anything. I hope you get well soon.

"One day, in retrospect, the years of struggle will strike you as the most beautiful." ~Sigmund Freud

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Name: Christina
Pronouns: she/they

Points: 29,768, Level: 24 Points: 29,768, Level: 24 Points: 29,768, Level: 24

Re: Anxiety ? - February 4th 2015, 10:20 AM

Hi,

First, I am very sorry for the late response and welcome to TeenHelp!!
I am not exactly sure because symptoms of anxiety can be associated with panic attacks. A lot of it has to do with length of time, patterns of thinking and frequency.
It would be best for you to talk to a therapist about this to get a proper diagnosis and treatment for your depression and whichever this: panic attacks or anxiety.
Congrats on being four months SH free by the way! That is a true accomplishment and use that success as encouragement.
Take care and PM me if you ever would like someone to talk to.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Karol Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Karol S.

Points: 5,967, Level: 11 Points: 5,967, Level: 11 Points: 5,967, Level: 11

Re: Anxiety ? - February 14th 2015, 09:12 PM

What you're describing sounds very similar to a panic attack. I have those symptoms a lot. I've found that some natural ways to calm me down is drinking hot herbal tea with lots of honey, wrapping myself up in a fuzzy blanket, and using essential oils such as lavender, peace and calm, and joy. Listening to classical music is a good way to calm down as well.
That's absolutely amazing that you've made it four months SH free!! Congratulations!!
Closed Thread