TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Anxiety This forum is for seeking advice on anxiety and stress related issues.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Wings Offline
dreaming my life away
Welcome me, I'm new!

I feel incapable of facing my fears - April 3rd 2015, 02:36 AM

Hello

I will start off by saying that I've suffered from social and generalized anxiety for many years now. It's been such a struggle that it's pushed me into depression, self-harm, low self-esteem, and suicidal thoughts. It's also gotten worse over the years.

I've been in therapy twice now and my current therapist seems very frustrated with me. I'm doing the best I can to face my fears whenever I can but sometimes it's too overwhelming and I step back. I feel really bad and will admit there are times when I've made up quite a few excuses but it was only because of how intense the fear and discomfort was.

It feels like no matter how much "progress" I make, the fear never ceases and it feels like it is simply ingrained in me as a person. I also feel like people - including my therapist especially - cannot understand how painful it is to experience intense anxiety for days on; dreading something as simple as grabbing coffee with a friend. After a while, I can't handle it and I don't understand why that's so wrong? I just don't want to be in pain 24/7

I don't know what to do anymore. Any thoughts or advice?

Thank you

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Its.Just.Angie Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Angie

Re: I feel incapable of facing my fears - April 3rd 2015, 02:49 AM

I ain't no professional.. But I think its really bad if your therapist is frustrated with you, you might want to consider switching. Its not against them, but they should understand when people slip.. Cause we are human!

I used to not even step foot in any public space.. Without getting anxious.. I couldn't leave my house. So I understand (not fully because I'm not you,but I do get it) but I kept at it.. Like forcing myself to get coffee a lot and I kept celebrating the small victories! Like make a goal saying you will go to the grocery store, and if you do make a little reward or something because it is difficult!! Then just build up.. But go at YOUR pace! when I to take public speaking class. My first speech, I just told myself, just to survive regardless of what score I got. Then now I make goals of doing what I'm supposed to be doing.. if that makes sense.

And there is nothing wrong! When you feel like you are gonna "lose it" just breath.. it helps a little (for me anyways) and you can try distracting yourself too like watching TV, coloring, etc. If you feel like you can't handle it!

I hope it gets easier for you! I hope I helped a little! Feel free to PM/VM me!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Wings Offline
dreaming my life away
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I feel incapable of facing my fears - April 3rd 2015, 10:33 PM

Thank you, Angie!

Your response is greatly appreciated, it's relieving to hear others are getting through this step by step also and congratulations on achieving your goals! I will diffidently continue facing my fears at my own pace, I suppose I always had a feeling this was the best option for me but the reassurance is nice

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Its.Just.Angie Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Angie

Re: I feel incapable of facing my fears - April 4th 2015, 03:17 AM

Oh thanks you!

Also if you want, you can go to your doctor to see if you want antianxiety meds. Because it may help out alittle

Closed Thread