TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Education and Careers (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f22-education-careers/)
-   -   scared of the fire alarm at my school (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f22-education-careers/t138290-scared-fire-alarm-my-school/)

TwistofFate_07 May 13th 2015 11:36 AM

scared of the fire alarm at my school

So I'm scared of the fire alarm at my school. Like the thought of it going off scares me. I scared of loud noises and fire alarms are one of them. Well not all loud noises but fire alarms definitely. I know that might sound crazy since we practice this drill every month but it still scares me because its loud.

xyzman May 13th 2015 04:29 PM

Re: scared of the fire alarm at my school

That's fairly normal I would think. And truly I get a little scared of sirens and alarms and that sort of stuff all the time. Even when its a drill or not directed at me or any thing bad. Where I live there a siren that goes off first Saturday of every month for a drill (its a bad weather siren thing) and it can be 75 out and not a cloud in the sky and it still makes me anxious and all i have been living with the stooped thing for yeas and it still gets me so don't sweet it to much and if you want talk to a professional I'm sheer that can help you get over it if that's what you want

Hope I could help! :hug:

Lemon. May 14th 2015 12:40 PM

Hey there,

Fire alarms are terrifying, whether you're expecting it or not. Loud noises tends to mean panic and when you're in an enclosed space like a school there's nowhere you can go to escape. Is it the noise that makes you anxious or do you relate something to the noise? When it goes off do you know what to do and are you able to do it? Fire alarms, while scary, are necessary. Have you tried telling your teachers that you might need some extra support during the alarms to know that you are safe? People are there to take care of you and they can help you find healthy ways to manage your anxiety.

Please take care.

Palmolive May 24th 2015 07:51 PM

I was always the same and knew a lot of people who were. I hate fire alarms and when ambulances go by with their alarms on etc. Like said I think it's fairly normal and I definitely wouldn't say you are crazy for it. But like Sorry said, maybe tell you school and ask them if you could have some support during this time. Even if it's a class buddy who you can pair up with in these time so you aren't alone etc.

Jessie

Obliviate May 24th 2015 11:16 PM

I can completely relate to this. My university halls test the fire alarms every wednesday morning for around half an hour and it's awful.

You could perhaps talk to the schools student support team so they can give you a heads up in advance so you know when the alarm will sound and to help you prepare. It might be less of a shock that way. They could also let staff know so they can check on you and help you to feel more at ease.

Loving Linux Penguin May 25th 2015 12:58 AM

Hey there,

We're all afraid of something, and loud noises is a fairly common one. To be sure, fire alarms are definitely startling (and for good reason - you wouldn't want to have them be something people don't notice or brush off). Other than being jarred initially (and plugging my ears when I walk past them), I don't normally have much of a reaction to them. However, I'm sure you're far from the only one, Ashley :hug:

How much of an ongoing issue is this for you? If you are regularly worried that a fire alarm is going to go off and it's a distraction or a cause of concern for you, this is something to get help with.There are ways that you can be supported with this kind of thing so it doesn't bother you so much. The biggest one would probably be facing your fear. I am not sure how they could do that considering pulling an actual alarm would be a disruption to everything else, but they could probably show you videos or play audio clips to get you more used to the sound and help you feel more confident about dealing with it.

Good luck with everything, and I hope you feel better. Just don't let this make you feel ashamed - it's okay :)