TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Anxiety This forum is for seeking advice on anxiety and stress related issues.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
BubblyBabyBlue Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Storm

Award Ceremony... - May 20th 2015, 08:39 PM

So today was an award ceremony for the 11th graders in my school. What happened was when you get your award, you stand on stage to get your picture taken with the people in your group. Yet, I kept getting nervous and my anxiety was really getting to me..and then once they got to my name and everyone started to clap, I started crying and ended not going on stage. I think Iwas having a panic attack because I was taking deep breathes and trying to breathe..even though it wasn't working. I cried 4 times in school because oof this, how do you get over anxiety? I'm afraid it'll happen again.....

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: Award Ceremony... - May 21st 2015, 10:43 AM

Hey Storm,

Iím really sorry to hear about your experience with anxiety.

The key thing to remember about anxiety and panic attacks, is that the more you worry about them, and think about them happening again, the more likely it will continue to happen (I learnt this the hard way!) As hard as it is, try not to focus so much on the anxiety. When you focus on the anxiety, you let it control your life, and you need to take back that control. It feels horrible, I know, but itís just a feeling. It will pass. You arenít in any danger at all.

Deep breathing can be helpful, but it works best if you do this as soon as soon as you notice any signs of anxiety. Itís also best to do this every time you get anxious, as the more you practice, the easier it gets. There are many different deep breathing exercises online, some require just focusing on breathing, others include using your imagination as well. Donít forget that even though the deep breathing helps with the physical sensations of anxiety that you also need to work on the thoughts and behaviours that come from anxiety too. For example, challenging any worrying thoughts you might have e.g. worrying about other people judging you on stage, you could challenge that by reminding yourself that you arenít a mind reader and you donít know what other people are thinking. Chances are, in award ceremonies itís easy for people to get bored and not focus on the people getting the awards (in my experience anyway) so you donít have to worry about people judging you. Also, remember not to avoid situations that make you anxious as avoidance can make anxiety worse.

Are you having any help from a therapist or psychiatrist? It is possible to overcome anxiety, but professional people can help you the most, particularly with breathing exercises as they can make sure you are doing them correctly. If you arenít, could you talk to a teacher, guidance counsellor, or doctor?

Itís great that you are trying to overcome the anxiety. Itís difficult, but worth it!

Take care

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Award Ceremony... - May 24th 2015, 06:32 PM

I'm sorry your award ceremony didn't go to plan. But it's great you have come to us here for some help and advice on what you're going through. I have anxiety and used to have up to ten panic attacks a day so can relate to what you're doing through and hope I can help in one way or another.

I for sure agree with Holly, that the more you think about your anxiety and panic attacks, and the more you worry about them, the higher chance you have of suffering with the anxiety and the higher the chances are you will have a panic attack. Don't panic about feeling panic!

When you feel anxious or like an anxiety attack is going to come on, take deep breathes in through your nose and out through your mouth to help regulate your breathing and calm your body down. I use a breathing technique called 7/11. Its where you breathe in for seven and out for eleven but you can change it to what suits you and helps you best. Mindfulness can also be really helpful. You can search guided mindfulness exercises on youtube to listen to or possibly download some on phone apps and itunes. The body scan can be a really good one or at least I find it helpful! You can also do little things like word association games in your head or with someone else, A-Z of animals, girls names, county's, sweet, films etc, talk a mindful walk. Eat a piece of chocolate using all your five senses so really feeling it, smelling it, observing it and tasting it. Also, there's something called My granny went shopping and bought a ... and then you start with A and g through the alphabet so it would be my granny went shopping and bought an apple, then my granny went shopping and bought and apple and a bear etc. It just helps you stay mindful. You can google mindfulness or feel free to PM me about it. I did DBT in rehab so know a lot about it!

Just remember to ground yourself too. If you feel panic, sit down in a quiet place and feel the chair your sat on, look around you, recognize where you are, who you are with, what you have been doing and ground your self. You can use sour sweets to ground yourself too or scented things like sprays and candles.

Having someone to talk to can really help because getting things of our chests can lessen the burden of what we're carrying around with us and you know what they say, a problem shared is a problem halved. Teachers, counselors, nurses, doctors, friends and family are all good people to talk too and of course we're here for you too.

I hope this helps a bit. I hope things start to look up for you and you begin to manage your anxiety better. Take control of it. Don't let it take take control of you.

Jessie

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

Last edited by Palmolive; May 24th 2015 at 06:49 PM.

Closed Thread