TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Anxiety and Stress This forum is for seeking advice on anxiety and stress related issues.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Cutie7519 Offline
Love & Death
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Kate
Location: In my happy place, where happiness lives forever more.

Points: 14,175, Level: 17 Points: 14,175, Level: 17 Points: 14,175, Level: 17

Sick from anxiety - June 3rd 2015, 01:09 PM

I'm so sick from my anxiety. I feel like I can harm myself to make it better. I see my new therapist today and that is what making my anxiety high.

"It's easier to run, replacing this pain with something numb, it's so much easier to go, than face all this pain here all alone."- Linkin Park, Easier to run

"When the nightmares take me, I will scream with the howling wind." Owl City, Lonely Lullaby

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Name: nobody

Points: 37,084, Level: 27 Points: 37,084, Level: 27 Points: 37,084, Level: 27

Re: Sick from anxiety - June 3rd 2015, 04:18 PM

Hey there Kate,

Anxiety is a normal reaction to something stressful but if it is making you sick, maybe that's something to bring up to your therapist. I know that therapy can be really difficult at first. You are asked to open up to a complete stranger about personal issues. But keep in mind that your therapist is not a mind reader and they need you to be honest with them. For example, if therapy is what is giving you so much anxiety, maybe you can bring that up in addition to everything else that is going on? Or even start with that when you begin your session. Explain that the experience of therapy is challenging in itself.
I told my school counselor once in response to her insistence of going back to therapy, " I need a therapist to navigate therapy"
She found it interesting I brought that up and at first was unsure how to answer that. But she did have an answer in the end. She told me that with the right therapist, you'd be able to open up about the challenges of therapy and in that way addressing this issue can be integrated into the sessions.

You say this is a new therapist, so I'm taking it as this is your very first session? Maybe you can bring someone close to you? Even if they don't come into the office, perhaps just being there in the waiting room can help.
Remember that you've never met this therapist, and therefore you still don't know whether you'll like them or not. Take a deep breathe. If you don't feel you click, you can still let them know that you prefer to switch out.

Best of luck and feel free to update how it goes.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Cutie7519 Offline
Love & Death
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Kate
Location: In my happy place, where happiness lives forever more.

Points: 14,175, Level: 17 Points: 14,175, Level: 17 Points: 14,175, Level: 17

Re: Sick from anxiety - June 3rd 2015, 09:17 PM

I was honest with her and she helped me with my anxiety. I was just diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder.

"It's easier to run, replacing this pain with something numb, it's so much easier to go, than face all this pain here all alone."- Linkin Park, Easier to run

"When the nightmares take me, I will scream with the howling wind." Owl City, Lonely Lullaby

Closed Thread