TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Anxiety and Stress (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f205-anxiety-stress/)
-   -   Stress and worrying Anxiety related what methods do you use cope? (Managing Anxiety) (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f205-anxiety-stress/t139081-stress-worrying-anxiety-related-what-methods-do-you-use-cope-managing-anxiety/)

bringmethehorizon♥ June 14th 2015 11:41 PM

Stress and worrying Anxiety related what methods do you use cope? (Managing Anxiety)

I have my own methods for coping but I would like to know any methods which I don't know to help me cope. I worry about almost every little thing I stress and I get very anxious. Example of this would be when I'm out and walking down a road I will keep looking behind me and running if I feel uncomfortable because I think something bad is going to happen. Of course everyone has their own things to worry about but I'm interested in ways other people cope to see if it could benefit me in anyway possible.

How do you manage your Anxiety?

Astar June 15th 2015 01:26 PM

Re: Stress and worrying Anxiety related what methods do you use cope? (Managing Anxiety)

For me breathing helps. Taking a deep breath and holding it for a few seconds then reporting until I'm feeling less nervous inside always seems to work. Also I try thinking about whatever the situation is that I'm feeling anxious about and think that in (however long) it will be over and I won't need to worry. Keeping thinking that I can do it and I won't have to worry about it later helps ME get things done. Recently to give me more confidence and feel less anxious, I try to complete some small risks for instace making eye contact with a stranger or smiling at someone. I've tried to make these 'risks' slightly harder each time so now I try talking to people in shops etc. another thing to think Is instead of thinking what's the worst that could happen, think whats the best that could happen- like if your walking up the road and there's someone behind you think in a minute I'll get to the bus stop etc and they'll will have gone past without paying me any attention. Try to believe in the good things and this will help you forget that there are more negative outcomes. I completed a risk today in sending you this as this is the first time I've attempted to give advice to someone older than me��
Hope some of this helps x

Celyn June 20th 2015 06:24 PM

Re: Stress and worrying Anxiety related what methods do you use cope? (Managing Anxiety)

Hey Justin,

I agree with Astar that breathing exercises can help. I take a deep breath in for 3 seconds and out for 3 seconds, for about a minute, or until I have calmed down. I do this when I first notice the anxiety building up.

When I have worrying thoughts, I try to challenge them and rationalise the situation. For example, I might be worried about something bad that I think is going to happen. I try to challenge my worry and think differently about the situation. It takes some practice, but once you realise that a lot of anxiety comes down to negative thoughts and physical sensations, it's easier to deal with, and realise that a lot of the time nothing bad is going to happen. Also, if anything bad did happen, you will survive and get through it.

You could try looking online for 'CBT exercises for anxiety' (cognitive behaviour therapy) that you could try on your own, or see a therapist who can help you with specific worries.

Take care :hug: