TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Anxiety and Stress (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f205-anxiety-stress/)
-   -   did i have an anxiety attack? what was it? (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f205-anxiety-stress/t141868-did-i-have-anxiety-attack-what/)

311tigress November 19th 2015 06:01 AM

did i have an anxiety attack? what was it?

ok so, im not sure but i think i may have had an anxiety attack a few nights ago but im not sure if thats what it was really. ive looked up symptoms and meanings of anxiety and what i got from it all was mainly worrying about work/school, always needing approval of adults and peers, lots of mood swings and stuff but i dont have any of those really. for me what it felt like was being closed in and having less air around me. i was just sitting there writing and in a way i guess i might have been spacing out as i was writing and when i was younger i used to have this one nightmare with strange shapes and they like closed in on me and kinda suffocated me but it was in a HUGE space. they was just a LOT of these strange shapes. (ive still to this day never been able to describe this nightmare to make sense) but anyways, i was writing and as i was writing i had flashes of that nightmare again and i felt like i didnt have enough space so i had to move. i started to kinda flip out for no reason. i was tired too. and just so ya'lls know i do not have claustrophobia i dont think. not that i can tell. i mean of course there are times when i just need my space but i can usually bare it. it isnt like a serious phobia or fear. so does anyone have any idea what the hell was goin on with me??? ive never been like that before. im a bit worried that it might happen again when im writing. any suggestions or thoughts plz???

Celyn November 21st 2015 09:58 PM

Re: did i have an anxiety attack? what was it?

Hey Dakota,

The symptoms you experience (feeling closed in, less air to breathe, spacing out) may definitely be symptoms of an anxiety attack. However, I'm not sure where the flashbacks of nightmare come into it. Were you writing something that might've triggered you into remembering the nightmare? It's possible that if you were triggered into having the flashback, that naturally, the symptoms of anxiety would occur since it sounds anxiety producing for you.

If it happens again, try moving to a larger space (so you feel less trapped), and taking a few deep breaths or having a drink of water. Once you've calmed down, you might like to note down the time and date of the attack and what you were doing that might've triggered it. Over time, you may notice a pattern and then you'll be able to manage the attacks better. For the time being though, try not to worry about it, as worrying may bring on an attack.

I am wondering whether it may be related to claustrophobia, but I'm not a professional. If it gets worse, it's best to talk to a doctor or a counsellor.

Hope this helped a bit! :hug: