TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Anxiety and Stress This forum is for seeking advice on anxiety and stress related issues.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
TwistofFate_07 Offline
Average Joe

Name: Ashley

Points: 13,080, Level: 16 Points: 13,080, Level: 16 Points: 13,080, Level: 16

How to cope with anxiety - December 7th 2015, 12:25 PM

I need some advice or suggestions about how to cope with my anxiety. I get anxious a lot and its killing me inside. I tried to ignore the attacks and triggers but it's not working. Any advice or suggestions or both?
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount11

Edit avatar

Re: How to cope with anxiety - December 7th 2015, 11:34 PM

Hi, Ashley!

I'm sorry you struggle with anxiety, but well done for reaching out. I hope I can be of some help!

Figuring out your triggers can be helpful because it helps you know what to avoid, but sometimes there isn't a way to ignore the triggers and in that case, it's a good idea to find an instant coping mechanism. For example, how about wearing a simple bracelet that is elastic? It could even be a hair tie that fits as a bracelet. Just anything that you can put your focus on and twist the bracelet around. Focusing on something simple can help redirect your thoughts, then hopefully reduce the amount of anxiety you feel.

How about perfume? Perfume with a relaxing scent can help you feel more calm, and I was wondering if you could try different perfumes until you find one that calms you? That is something you could wear and take with you to spray on when you start feeling anxious. Just take deep breaths, focus on the smell and focus on your breaths. Count them, go to ten then come down from ten.

Are there any comforting thoughts that help you during anxiety? Some people have a "safe place" they go to whether it be a happy memory or a place of their imagination. Imagine yourself in a peaceful place, such as an open field for example. Make it personal to you by imagining yourself in a place you find beautiful and peaceful, whether it be a place you have been to, a place you want to go to, or a place in your imagination.

Long-term, exercise and yoga might help you feel all-around more calm and it may reduce your anxiety. Daily runs can blow of steam and allow yourself to get out any anxiousness you feel. And creative hobbies and writing such as journaling is a good way to write down any thoughts, feelings and fears so that they don't stay inside your head. It's healthy to get things out.

Lastly, have you spoken to anyone either professionally or personally? Therapy could be helpful to find causes of your anxiety to be able to ease it, and talking to those in your personal life could be good because you'd be able to open up and have support. Speaking of, holding a conversation about anything, even trivial things might help you calm down slightly. That doesn't work for everyone, though.

Hope you feel better soon and find remedies for your anxiety, Ashley. Take care!
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Can you hear the silence?
Senior TeenHelper

Points: 26,546, Level: 23 Points: 26,546, Level: 23 Points: 26,546, Level: 23

Re: How to cope with anxiety - December 10th 2015, 10:41 AM

Hi

I struggle with it as well I have several coping methods which I use. Deep breathing, listening to music, talking to a counsellor. All these things really help me and support me in my time of need. Have you spoken to anyone about how your feeling? I know it's hard to cope and there's people out there to help you! Your an amazing person and you deserve to be happy. It's hard to cope with this but you can do it I know you can your amazing and so strong. Do you have a family friend or someone you would be able to talk about how this is effecting your life? What are you anxious about? If you can find the what is making you anxious the perhaps you would be able to get down the root of the problem. Feel free to message me anytime.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
TwistofFate_07 Offline
Average Joe

Name: Ashley

Points: 13,080, Level: 16 Points: 13,080, Level: 16 Points: 13,080, Level: 16

Re: How to cope with anxiety - December 10th 2015, 11:50 AM

I was having urges to cut myself again and they were really making me anxious. I was having bad butterflies in my stomach. Sometimes my stomach feels like its suffocating. Then there's this boy who keeps bullying me. I told my guidance consulor and she made me write a incident report. She said that she's gonna give it Ms. Lopez which is one of our vice principals but she also works with administration. That and the urges have been making me anxious.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
JazzyJazz Offline
Associate HelpLINK Mentor
Regular TeenHelper

Points: 5,906, Level: 11 Points: 5,906, Level: 11 Points: 5,906, Level: 11

Re: How to cope with anxiety - December 13th 2015, 12:46 AM

I'm not surprised you are feeling anxious if you are being bullied and it makes me sad to read that. I am, however, glad that your guidance counsellor is taking it seriously and I hope that something is done when the vice principal reads the incident report.

Do you see the guidance counsellor regularly, or was this a one-off? I think it would definitely be beneficial for you to continue to speak with her about how you are feeling. You have already identified one reason for your anxiety, but there may be others. Getting to the root causes of the anxiety and addressing those can help lessen the anxious feelings. You could also discuss why it is you have the urge to cut yourself.

Ellie gave some great suggestions about coping mechanisms for when you are feeling anxious.

I hope you start to feel better soon.

Be kind to yourself.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Name: Christina
Pronouns: she/they

Points: 29,768, Level: 24 Points: 29,768, Level: 24 Points: 29,768, Level: 24

Re: How to cope with anxiety - December 15th 2015, 10:03 AM

Hey,

You have been given quite a few great suggestions here.
I just want to add that taking a look at the Self Harm Alternatives thread may be helpful to you.
Particularly when you have urges to hurt yourself but they can help whenever you need something to do that is different.
They all may not be helpful to you but do not give up on the suggestions or the ability to create some alternatives on your own because they can really help.
Take care and we are all here for you!
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Green Yoshi Offline
The screwdriverneedsgas!
I've been here a while

Name: carwithnogas

Points: 19,057, Level: 20 Points: 19,057, Level: 20 Points: 19,057, Level: 20

Re: How to cope with anxiety - December 15th 2015, 12:06 PM

Hello Ashley

I think that a good way would be to start getting into teas. That would help you calm yourself down, as well as find a new outlet. Teas can also taste great, help you sleep as well as nurture your health in genera. . Some teas can have antidepressant/calming effects , which would certainly help you to overcome anxiety. I also strongly suggest dancing .. it's a good way to express yourself, and help you get into your own zone where you're comfortable and at peace with yourself.

You could also treat yourself to more of your favorite stuff, like chocolate and movies whenever you can. It's a proven fact that the happier you are, the less nervous or sad you'll be.

I know that my advice is kinda simple, but I hope it helped. Rant to us anytime because all of us will always be here for you.

It's called a tunnel because there's ALWAYS a light at the end.

rant to me if there's anything!

http://www.teenhelp.org/private.php?do=newpm&u=27464

screwdriverneedsgas

As usual... pm me if you are ever having a tough day, and I'll respond immediately.

You guys deserve to be happy no matter what.. okay? You people are a bunch of lovelies ... and no matter what, you people deserve to be happy.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Points: 70,932, Level: 38 Points: 70,932, Level: 38 Points: 70,932, Level: 38

Re: How to cope with anxiety - December 15th 2015, 05:36 PM

Hi there.

I'm sorry that you are going through all of this right now but so so glad you've come to us here for some help and support.

Being bullied isn't a nice thing to experience and you don't deserve to be treated in a bad way. I am however glad you have spoken out about this and I hope your school helps you to stop the bullying because it sounds to me like this might be the trigger to the urges to self harm and the anxiety. Do you think I'm right? I might be completely wrong but that's the impression I have gotten.

Beating anxiety can be really hard but you can do it. When I used to disassociate in hospital, my friends would get my baby blanket for me and then spray some body spray which brought me out of out and I also found them really relaxing so maybe you could try this for your anxiety? Listening to music in your headphones is always a good one but most importantly, when you feel anxious, sit down, ground yourself and take some deep breathes in through your nose and out through your mouth. Maybe look up some mindfulness exercises too like the body scan so you can practice it and allow it to help you when you are anxious. Write about things you are anxious about too. Get them off your chest. Talk to people as well, that's so important.

You've been given a link to the self harm alternatives on Teenhelp so I want to encourage you to talk a look at that. I know that they can become draining but some things will work for you, you just have to find them so it's a bit like trial and error I guess. Keep trying new and old things to find what works for you. But remember self harming doesn't help in the long run, if it did you wouldn't still be doing it. And you ARE a lot stronger than the urges and you CAN beat them. We all believe in you but you need to believe in yourself too. Just don't suffer in silence. Reach out to the people around you in "real life" and us here. You never have to be alone in this.

Please feel free to message me if you need anything. Hold on to hope.
Hopes and wishes,
Jessie

’Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if only one remembers to turn on the light.’

Big sis, always and forever, 15/04/2018
Closed Thread