TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Anxiety and Stress (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f205-anxiety-stress/)
-   -   Anxiety and Weighted Blankets (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f205-anxiety-stress/t144626-anxiety-weighted-blankets/)

Kindred April 10th 2016 01:58 AM

Anxiety and Weighted Blankets

Hey,

I was reading today about how sometimes people with autism find the sensation from weighted blankets and "deep touch pressure" (like squeezing) comforting. It was the first time I'd read about someone else finding this comforting- when I'm anxious, I like to apply weight to my body, like putting something heavy on top of my stomach, or wrapping myself up tight in something so I can feel pressure all over my body. I'm really bad at explaining this :nosweat: Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone else found things like this comforting? With or without anxiety or autism :)

Celyn April 10th 2016 09:39 AM

Re: Anxiety and Weighted Blankets

Totally :)

I love wrapping myself up in a blanket, it just feels so comforting. Even though physical intimacy can be hard for me at times, I love to be cuddled....it's just that feeling of being embraced...it's so soothing! I've never been diagnosed with anxiety or autism, but I most likely have symptoms of anxiety. I knew that some people with autism enjoy the deep touch pressure, but I never thought about people with anxiety, so that's interesting :)

world_changer April 14th 2016 01:21 PM

Kids with autism tend to like this because most of them have pretty severe anxiety. (I work with kids with autism :) )

Also, when I'm anxious, I have a blanket that I will walk around my house in. It does give a sense of security. I might want to check for a weighted blanket and see if that helps more.

Evanesco April 17th 2016 01:16 PM

I have autism and although I don't own a weighted blanket (they're so expensive!) I sleep under a pile of duvets because it's calming, and I've always liked people sitting on my feet or having a heavy rucksack on my back. It's calming, and it helps to regulate my body when my senses are messed up, so I can see it helping with people with anxiety too.

Kindred April 18th 2016 07:50 PM

Thanks for sharing your experiences guys! And I didn't make the connection between people with autism experiencing heightened levels of anxiety, that's interesting to know :)

Elmrin April 18th 2016 10:45 PM

This sounds really interesting! I have read a little about pressure points across the body and how they help with anxiety and stress. Definitely something I'll have to research further! Thanks for mentioning!