TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Anxiety This forum is for seeking advice on anxiety and stress related issues.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
organizedchaos Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Kay

Scared - July 22nd 2017, 07:46 AM

To start this off let it be known that my greatest fear is bats. (The creepy little winged creature, not the sporting equipment.)

They get into our house during the summer months, usually only a couple of times a year but already we've had a ton. My nerves are shot at this point.

We always get them on the 4th of July, but this year I forgot about that. My family went to a friend's house to watch some fireworks and I stayed home to have a Matrix movie marathon. Halfway through the second movie I see one flying around in the hallway. I lose control and hide under the blanket I'm sitting with and start screaming and crying. I don't know why I am so freaked out by them, I can't help it. I'm only scared of them and needles, anything else I can handle! So anyway I start hyperventilating and call my parents. They can't come get me though since I drove them there and brought the car back with me since I was their DD for the night. They tell me to suck it up and run for the door with the blanket over me and just go hang out up there with them. I then spent half an hour crying and screaming hysterically because I could hear it flapping around outside the blanket. It finally flew into a different room so I made a break for it and made it outside, though I hadn't had time to grab my shoes so I had to drive up barefoot. When we got back later my family couldn't find the bat so I slept in the back of my Mom's car.

That was the third bat we had gotten. We have had a bunch more since then. It's gotten to the point my nerves are so fried I have to carry my tennis racket with me everywhere in the house, I have to sleep and even sit in chairs with a blanket at least partially on me so I have something to hide under (which is hell because it's the middle of summer and freaking hot out!), and I'm having trouble sleeping now.

I sometimes have dreams that feel so completely real I can't tell they aren't, usually when I'm dozing on and off. This potentially happened the other night, I was sitting downstairs reading and started dozing possibly I can't really remember. All of a sudden I saw a bat and screamed. I threw my blanket over me and sat thinking wait was that really a bat? I get nervous I'm imagining them, but then I swear I could hear it flapping around. I still wasn't sure if I was imagining things or not when I felt something land on me and I lost it, yet again. Screaming, crying, the whole works. My parents looked all over the house and couldn't find it. They did the same thing on the fourth though, so there could potentially be one in here.

IT'S 3AM AND I CANT SLEEP AND I'M SO FREAKING SCARED! I'm just laying here staring at the ceiling, too scared to close my eyes in case it gets into my room and attacks me, even though I know they don't attack people... It's a horrible cycle because the more tired I am the more scared I get. I really need to figure something out because its starting to effect my anxiety/OCD disorder. I have Trich, so when I get anxious I get the urge to pull my hair out. I was doing good putting myself back together after a lot of stressful events at school and life in general and then this started and its starting to knock me off balance again. I love running and it helps with the anxiety, which used to come from school. But now with this I don't feel like running because I don't get any sleep and don't have the energy. I know I'm completely pathetic, but I can't help it... I'm exhausted and don't know what to do so if anyone could give me some advice or moral support it would be greatly appreciated!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
-bluejay- Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: jay

Re: Scared - July 22nd 2017, 09:21 AM

hey! I just want to let you know that it's normal to be afraid of things like this, especially if it's something that hops out so unexpectedly. (we used to have a bad roach problem in our house, so those still bother me a lot.) On that note, I think it would be a good idea to talk about your fear with a therapist/counselor who can help you work through it. In the meantime, you could see about spending more nights sleeping over at a friend's house so that you can get more rest. Take care of yourself!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
del677 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Scared - July 23rd 2017, 07:17 AM

possibly find a safe place to sleep where bats can't get to? maybe you'd be more comfortable sleeping in the car? a van? camper? tent? motor home? trailer?

I like the blanket idea that at least is a clever first aid defense.

maybe a sleeping bag? yea its hot that might not be a viable idea.

hmm, even if you had a tent, the sound might still bother you. maybe the car idea. maybe there's a neighbor who has a bat free house? a bat free sanctuary? a place out in nature you could pitch a tent where bats don't go?

in the long run these fears may eventually fade, or they can be made to fade, but that doesn't help you now. having these fears triggered just reinforces them right now and as you say makes your whole health state worse, so best easiest thing would be to get away from the triggers. maybe go on a vacation to a relative or friend's place?

we need to get you to a place you feel safe so you can relax and start the healing process.

whatever it takes. your parents may think bats are harmless, but they are triggering to you which is bad and makes them triggers and that is bad for your health and they need to be considered as bad for your mental health.

I hope your parents can come up with a solution. maybe the car? there must be a creative solution somewhere.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
organizedchaos Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Kay

Re: Scared - July 26th 2017, 01:34 AM

Thanks to both of you who responded for the advice it was really helpful and nice feeling heard since I can't talk to my parents about it. I ended up going to stay with some family over the weekend, and it helped a lot.

My cousins wanted me to come up to their camp so it was really relaxing and fun spending time with them on the lake. Plus I got a bunch of sleep, I wasn't paranoid at all there and I feel so much better now. I came home and was able to walk around without my tennis racket and a blanket during the day. Other than the fact I still need them near me while I'm sleeping it's been going pretty well so far.

Luckily since the last bat my Dad is fairly certain he figured out how they were getting in and fixed it, and it's looking good since we haven't had any more yet (knock on wood!). If it ever happens again, which is highly likely since our house is so old, I loved the tent idea. If it comes down to it buying a tent would be totally worth it to not have a breakdown and have to sleep with a tennis racket lol... Plus the bats don't bother me at all outside, it's only if they're trapped in a room with me. Thanks again so much!

Closed Thread