TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Anxiety and Stress (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f205-anxiety-stress/)
-   -   Karate SENSI GIVING feeding students bad anxiety (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f205-anxiety-stress/t152692-karate-sensi-giving-feeding-students-bad-anxiety/)

mrabused August 21st 2017 07:44 AM

Karate SENSI GIVING feeding students bad anxiety

Hi, recently I've noticed; over a year now or 2, that our sensi is not serious about martial arts. I know sensi who are damn serious, this sensi likes to crack stupid jokes (is what i call it) on people, one of them being me yesterday. So we were having a regular class and he started asking such foolish questions from people; where do you live, mothers name; why are you so short etc. So YEAH I DON't like joking around and that bothers me, after all my parents are paying money for it. My parents are that type of people to fucking disagree with me because they think I'm a goddamn 8 year old, but I nevertheless care for them so I want to know how do I explain this to my parents? And is it worth going to another Dojo, with a strict Sensi? I'm also not very comfortable here, the people are toxic as fuck. Martial arts is suppose to be something serious and here they're making a complete joke about it!!!!!

So what do I do? Much appreciated!!

Celyn August 21st 2017 02:27 PM

Re: Karate SENSI GIVING feeding students bad anxiety

Unless the sensi was asking those questions (where do you live, mothers name etc) as part of filling in paperwork with contact information, I agree that it was highly unprofessional of him to ask those things, especially the comment regarding someone's height.

It's great that you care for your parents so much, especially seeing as they are paying for the class. But I understand it can be very frustrating when your parents disagree with you because they treat you like a child (it can be difficult for parents to find that balance between giving you more responsibility and talking to you in a mature way, and realising that you are still young). If you don't feel comfortable at that dojo then it may be worth looking around for others that you could go to instead. Then you could mention to your parents that you don't feel comfortable at the dojo and feel the sensi isn't very professional and would prefer someone a bit more serious. But at the same time, would you be okay with staying at that dojo? Since your parents are paying for the classes then it may be difficult to convince them that you'd like to go somewhere else if the next dojo is further away, more expensive etc.,

I understand that when you see martial arts as something that should be taken seriously, it can be very frustrating to see that it's not. But remember that as long as you take martial arts seriously, then what other people do isn't relevant.