TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Anxiety This forum is for seeking advice on anxiety and stress related issues.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
"Bisexual" Tux (Linux Mascot)
I've been here a while

Name: Chris

Needle Phobia - September 24th 2017, 11:11 PM

Hi everyone,

I guess I just need to vent, and need some encouragement and comfort and support...I appreciate you hearing me out

I've really been struggling for the past few weeks.

At the beginning of the month, I learned that the internship I'm doing requires TB testing. I know that it's a pretty quick and benign procedure, which may well be much easier than a lot of the other stuff I've faced, but I've still been having a difficult time coping.

I've made an appointment for October 3, and my best friend is coming with me. I have several coping practices for the day of including holding my friend's hand, talking/singing, using anti-anxiety medication (prescribed to me), etc. I also look away or close my eyes.

All of that said, though, this has been very hard on me. I've been anxious almost constantly for the past several weeks, with only short periods of relief when I'm feeling particularly optimistic or manage to engage in a good amount of exercise or meditate or etc. I know that I can do this, because I've faced my phobia so man times before, but it still feels essentially impossible. I still feel like I might not survive this, in a way, even though I know that's just my fear talking.

I came very close last night to drafting a resignation letter and preparing to send it. I know that I won't be happy with that decision, so that's not what I want to do, but the stress and fear are very very real for me. That's the closest I've come to giving up on one of these procedures in years. I finally went to sleep early in the morning after receiving comfort from a friend for close to two hours.

I just can't function properly like this and am finding the situation depressing. I've been in bed most of the day watching documentaries and YouTube clips in futile attempts to distract myself. I don't really feel like getting up or going out anywhere because my anxiety feels so crippling right now. I'm in therapy once a week, but even that, it seems, isn't helping as much as I would like.

Please help me find the strength to get through this...

Chris
You can always contact me to talk about anything!
---------------------
Proud to be myself.

Need a hug? Please take one!

Image Credit: startingover18 (Tumblr)

last updated on 11/11/17

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: Needle Phobia - September 27th 2017, 10:00 PM

Hey Chris,

So sorry to hear about how much the anxiety surrounding your needle phobia is affecting you. Anxiety is a horrible thing in that it can honestly feel like we aren't going to make it through a situation that causes anxiety for us, and yet we know that logically, we will get through it.

You seem to have quite a few coping techniques for the day of the needle, which is brilliant, but perhaps you are needing some techniques for the run up to it as well? Sometimes distractions like watching documentaries and YouTube videos can help but other times they might not, especially if we find ourselves drifting into anxiety. Are there things that you can perhaps do and be productive to help take your mind off things? I'm also wondering whether you have brought up this daily anxiety in therapy as well?

I understand that you feel the therapy isn't helping much, and usually I would suggest talking with your therapist as to why this might be and what could be done about it. But it's clear that you are running high on anxiety and it's usually best to not make important decisions, including wanting to resign, when you feel strong emotions, since your judgement may be clouded.

The stress and fear is very real for you, and feels very real as well. But think about all the other times you faced the anxious situation and still managed to get through it. Visualise yourself afterwards when it's all over and how relieved you'll feel.

You will get through this

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

Closed Thread