TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Anxiety and Stress This forum is for seeking advice on anxiety and stress related issues.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Your Local Weirdo
Not a n00b

Name: Kitty

Points: 7,565, Level: 12 Points: 7,565, Level: 12 Points: 7,565, Level: 12

Question Can The School Conselor Tell My Parents About Social Anxiety - October 2nd 2017, 03:32 PM

So Yesterday I was concered about Social Anxiety and I thought I had It so I went and reasearched that following day about Social Anxiety and Noticed I had some symptoms of Social Anxiety. So the day after, I put A conselor request in my school,and i talked with her about Social Anxiety tellig her i am expierincing symptoms of social anxiety, and talked with her bout it she gave me a packet all about it and a test. Im happy because I now kn0w what is going on with me Now I know I have social anxiety . Question is, Can the conselor tell my parents that I have Social Anxiety, Shes the only one who knows What i'm feeling and That I have social anxiety. I havent told any of my doctors. Did the conselor also just diagnose me with social anxiety?

Do you know how hard it is to write on a flip phone, huh?- Kim Seokjin
-------------------------------------------------------You call that ass you're own we call that silicone, silly girls, with silly boys- Melanie Martinez ( Sippy Cup )

(#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount29

Edit avatar

Re: Can The School Conselor Tell My Parents About Social Anxiety - October 2nd 2017, 04:43 PM

I don't think a counselor is supposed to diagnose you with anything. They can only reflect on the observations they've made and the points you've brought up, but they can't outright make a diagnosis. I would reach out to your parents if you feel comfortable doing so, and it's important not to diagnose yourself either.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
Article Editor

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 63,002, Level: 36 Points: 63,002, Level: 36 Points: 63,002, Level: 36

Re: Can The School Conselor Tell My Parents About Social Anxiety - October 2nd 2017, 05:30 PM

Hi there,

I've had my fair share of counsellors so I've been through this before. They are only allowed to tell your parents if you're at risk of hurting yourself or someone else.

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

Article Editor
Social Media Guru|Live Help Mentor|HelpLINK Mentor
Chat Moderator|Forum Moderator(Young at Heart)
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 57,622, Level: 34 Points: 57,622, Level: 34 Points: 57,622, Level: 34

Re: Can The School Conselor Tell My Parents About Social Anxiety - October 2nd 2017, 10:08 PM

As it's been said, the counsellor is unlikely to tell your parents about the anxiety you experience, or anything that you talk about in counselling sessions. There are times when the counsellor may have to break confidentiality but this is usually only if there is a serious risk of you harming yourself or others.

It's great that you realised that you felt anxious and decided to do a bit of research and get help. Though it's also important to remember to avoid self-diagnosing since we can often get it wrong, and it's best left to the professionals. Counsellors don't often diagnose, as it's been said, but they can give you questionnaires and tests (like yours did) to see what symptoms you are struggling with and how they can help you deal with these things. They might be able to say that it's likely you have social anxiety, but might not be able to give an official diagnosis. For an official diagnosis, you could talk to your counsellor and see if she can refer you or go to your doctor and ask to be referred to a psychiatrist or psychologist who can diagnose you. But you don't necessarily need a diagnose to get treatment, though it's worth thinking about if it interests you.

Mentoring and Support Team Leader | Click here to volunteer
Closed Thread