TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Anxiety This forum is for seeking advice on anxiety and stress related issues.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Your Local Weirdo
Not a n00b

Name: Kitty

It makes me depressed - October 19th 2017, 12:26 PM

So with people with Social Anxiety Its sometimes hard to live life and Social Anxiety can interfere with daily activities. And Most people with Social Anxiety develop depression. See thing is, Having Social Anxiety makes me depressed.
It makes me cry and want to get away from everyone. I see my friends having fun and laughing and It makes me want to cry. It makes me want to cry and cry because Having social anxiety makes me feel alone it makes me feel like I cant find any friends and be more open because I feel this constant fear of talking.
Im very introverted and Shy and have always been.
I missed my middle and elementary school fun activities because I always thought this is to scary , All these people make me nervous, I wont be able to talk to people. And I had missed my chance to go to fun football games and homecoming because of Social Anxiety and that made me very sad. I had forgotten to tell my doctor that Social Anxiety is making me feel depressed. I thought many times of ending my life but then I realized it would be selfish to because the one I would hurt most is my dad If I was gone from this Earth. Also That I'm to scared to end my life. Also I feel very stressed about my Ap Human Geography class and my parents will not let me switch out of the class no matter how difficult it is. So yeah, In conclusion, I just feel empty that I cant talk to any other people besides my family and my best friend. I gotten better at holding conversations with "friends" for more than 50 seconds which I guess is good. The doctor told me to try to talk to people, to take baby steps but Fuck baby steps, I feel like im not gonna get any better and that my self esteem issues will get lower than they already are. I feel like most of this is my fault even when I tell myself Its not my fault for not talking to people and being so weird, I still feel like its my fault that I never been outgoing. Also Im depressed because my mother says she to was "shy" when she was a girl and she had anxiety and that I don't really have social anxiety that its all part of growing up and I should get rid of my act for attention. She doesnt realize that Talking to people is VERY difficult and that It makes me cry and cry and cry, she can't get that in her psychotic bitchy head and I fucking hate it. Im also very sensitive to what anyone says like if someone would say im annyoing it would traumitize me and make me think about it for weeks and make me think that I should just stay quiet so people don't call me annyoing or any other names. Anyways, Thats all I have to rant about at the moment. EVerything just makes me Triggered and Upset. Any advice would be greatful or words of support. Thank You all for taking the time to read this.
Im sorry, If this is a horrible rant or any topic that I said is irrelevant, Im just stressed and so sad.
~ Kitty

* Don't hesitate to send me a Pm or a VM to talk, Im always there for support for anyone who needs it. *

Do you know how hard it is to write on a flip phone, huh?- Kim Seokjin
-------------------------------------------------------You call that ass you're own we call that silicone, silly girls, with silly boys- Melanie Martinez ( Sippy Cup )

Last edited by Crybaby_JiminsLover_; October 19th 2017 at 12:37 PM. Reason: I want to include more details.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: It makes me depressed - October 21st 2017, 07:59 PM

Some people may have severe social anxiety which interferes with their life, and depression can also sometimes come along with it. But with the right treatment and support, it is possible to live with less anxiety.

Social anxiety can definitely give you that feeling of being alone or that no-one else understands. It can also be difficult making friends when you are anxious to talk, and this can mean missing out on social activities and other things, which is upsetting.

I'm sorry to hear that because of the anxiety and depression, you have had thoughts about killing yourself. I'm glad that you have realised that your dad would be hurt if you did kill yourself. I'm wondering if you have told your dad about how you have felt? I'm sure that he would want to help you in any way that he can.

AP Human Geography sounds like it's very stressful for you. I know it might seem difficult, but could you try talking to your teacher and asking for help with the things that you struggle with. And if you want to drop out, you might want to talk to your teacher as well. Your parents might not want you to drop out but it's ultimately your choice, and I'm sure that your parents will want you to do well in whatever classes you take.

It's good that you saw your doctor about the anxiety and I know that you disagreed but I wonder if there is some truth to your doctor telling you to take baby steps when talking to others? Anxiety usually affects our thoughts, feelings and behaviours. When we are anxious, we may think lowly of ourselves and that we aren't good enough and we'll make mistakes. We may notice physical sensations such as sweating, blushing, trembling, palpitations and butterflies in the stomach. When we are thinking negatively and noticing the physical sensations of anxiety, we may change our behaviour. We may try to avoid things or get out of situations that we feel anxious in. However, avoiding might work in the short term, but in the long term, our anxiety will only increase. So it's good to confront our fears, and this is usually done in small steps so that we aren't overwhelmed. It's good to perhaps challenge yourself to start a conversation everyday, even if it's just 'hi, how are you?'. For low self-esteem, try making a list of all your qualities and going over them everyday. It might seem weird to begin with, but overtime you may start to believe that you are worthy.

You're not weird and having anxiety is not your fault. It's okay to not be outgoing either. I'm sorry to hear that your mother thinks your anxiety is for attention. She may have been shy as a teenager, but shyness and anxiety aren't necessarily the same thing. Your mother may feel that because she grew out of her shyness, that you should do the same with your anxiety. And while it is possible to overcome severe anxiety, it will require work on your behalf rather than 'just growing out' of it.

Being sensitive to what other people say or might think about you can be part of the anxiety. You feel that it's better to keep quiet rather than to talk because you worry that others may say you are annoying. But most of the time, our negative thoughts make us think that we are annoying when in reality, others may not think we are.

Since you've seen a doctor, I'm wondering what treatment you were offered? Medication and/or counselling can be effective in helping to treat anxiety and depression. Counselling can give you a safe place to explore your fears and develop new ways of managing the anxiety so that it doesn't get in the way of your life so much.

There's no need to apologise. I'm glad that you wrote your thread out and I hope it helped in some way

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

Closed Thread