TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Anxiety This forum is for seeking advice on anxiety and stress related issues.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Calaer Offline
I have the Millennium Puzzle
I can't get enough

Name: Calaer

Not really sure where to go from here. - December 18th 2017, 11:13 AM

I've been on some medication the past 5 months or so. This is the first time I've tried medicine in the past 8 years or so. I've asked my doctor to take me off of it. It hasn't really helped much at all with my anxiety, and the side effects are horrible. Sadly, now that I'm going to stop taking it, I'm going to have to go through a detox process, which I'm not looking forward too, especially since it's so close to Christmas, and having Ava is going to make the process that much harder, because I'm going to have to push through symptoms to be able to take care of her.

Also, I'm not really sure where to go from this point. I really don't think medication is for me. We can hardly afford much of anything in terms of treatment, which is another reason I've decided to come off the medicine. We just can't afford to be paying for the doctors visits to keep up the prescription as well as the medication itself. I've been living with my anxiety for years, and at this point, I'm wondering if it's even worth it to seek treatment?

My husband is willing to support my decision, no matter what it may be, in terms of if I decide to seek treatment or if I decide to stop all together. He has also made it very clear that he is going to do all that he can to help me make this transition. He has been very kind in the fact that he is going above and beyond to help ease my mind, and to remind me I'm supported and loved, and I'm very grateful for that.

I've been searching for help for so long, I'm not exactly sure what I would even do if I decided to just accept my anxiety for what it is, and to start moving forward with my life with the knowledge that I've accepted my anxiety as it is now, for the rest of my life.

I'm more than likely just over thinking things, but I dunno what I would even do? I'm also wondering if this would affect Ava in anyway? I don't see why it would, but even so, I'm always worried about the decisions I make affecting her, but I'm pretty sure all parents are like that with their children as well.

Anyway, anyone go through something like this? How did you manage it? Any advice would be great, thanks.

"One day, in retrospect, the years of struggle will strike you as the most beautiful." ~Sigmund Freud

Send a message via Skype™ to Calaer 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: Not really sure where to go from here. - December 22nd 2017, 09:03 PM

Sorry for the late reply! I've not really been through your situation, but wanted to reply anyway.

I think that accepting the anxiety, that it is something you live with, can actually be helpful whatever you choose to do. Sometimes when we focus on being recovered/cured, we can set ourselves unrealistic expectations, which can lead to frustration when things don't go the way we expect. This is especially true if we recover but then later relapse. So perhaps accepting that the anxiety has been, and still is, in your life for some time might help a bit.

As for medication, it must be difficult when you haven't found something that works for you, and you feel that you can't afford the medication anyway. But don't rule it out completely if you may be able to afford medication in the future. There may be something out there that helps!

In the meantime, detoxing from medication and dealing with anxiety can be difficult. You may notice anxiety increasing, especially with the holidays approaching, and this can affect your mood and relationships with others. But it's unlikely to cause Ava any lasting harm. And you are right in that parents will usually worry about any decision that might affect their children!

You could look into cognitive behaviour therapy (CBT) with a counsellor or perhaps self-help books and websites that might help you to deal with the anxiety. And it's also good to know that your husband is supportive, whatever you decide to do

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Not really sure where to go from here. - December 30th 2017, 06:01 PM

Hey there,

Aside from medication, have you tried anything else? I have been dealing with anxiety for years. I do take medication but I have not taken any of the anti-anxiety medications because they only worked if I took a large dose and I didn't want to end up addicted. The medication I currently take does help but there have been other things that help as well.

When I am anxious I will start to think a lot of different things which leads to catastrophic thinking this increases my anxiety and I get a full blown anxiety/panic attack. One of the things that has helped me is distracting myself as best I can once I start getting the anxious thoughts. The distractions I use are things like reading, watching tv or talking to someone a bit. However, there might be other things you could do to help distract yourself. You might even be able to include Ava such as taking her to the park or doing an activity.

Walking is supposed to help with anxiety as well. This personally, did not work for me but I know people who have benefited.

I also think that therapy could be beneficial. I know therapy can be a bit expensive but you might be able to find therapists who will work with you in regards to payment. I know that CBT is supposed to be good for anxiety.

(If you have tried any of the things suggested please ignore me. You have been dealing with this long enough that you have probably tried a lot but I wanted to share a few things I have had help or others I know have found to be helpful in case you have not tried them).

In regards to accepting your anxiety, that is something that can be beneficial in coping. I have had to accept my anxiety and accept that there might be days/weeks/months where I do great and than days/weeks/months where it is terrible. However, depending on how the anxiety is impacting your functioning it is probably a good idea to find tools to help.

One other thing is that if you do get on a medication and it starts working than the amount of times you have to go in to see a doctor might decrease. You will still have to go in for check ups and medication refills but a lot of the time the doctor can space it out 3 months or longer. That might be something you could discuss with the prescribing doctor if you decide to go that route.

Best regards.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

Closed Thread