TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Anxiety This forum is for seeking advice on anxiety and stress related issues.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount27

Edit avatar

Nervous to open to psychiatrist - June 26th 2018, 07:51 AM

I have social anxiety and I really need to talk to my psychiatrist because I think I might have bipolar disorder but Iím super nervous. I just hate talking about my feelings...I donít know why but my throat gets sort of tight and it feels like I canít say what I want. Especially when I talk about things like crying, I just feel embarrassed and Iím worried that he wonít take me seriously. And I have a feeling that someone will say that psychiatrists wonít judge you but Iíve had psychologists and counselors laugh at me or get frustrated with me so Iím scared of the same thing happening. But I really need to open up and tell him how Iíve honestly been feeling because this might be my only chance to get help. How am I supposed to do that? Like how am I supposed to just...not care what he might say? Iím just really afraid of being judged, I guess. And I feel like because theyíre mental health professionals, they wonít listen to me if I disagree with judgement. At least thatís what happened in the past

(#2 (permalink)) Old
MMantlo Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Maddyson

Re: Nervous to open to psychiatrist - June 26th 2018, 07:06 PM

Hey I'm Maddy and i feel the exact same and still do honestly my throat goes all dry and i'm also embarassed to talk about my feeling not to long ago did i talk to a doctor about my Self-Harming since i brought a blade to school since it has gotten that bad apparently but i also disagree with jusgement but i also had my mom there with me and she stepped out when i asked her too and i didn't tell the doctor everything since i didn't feel combftorble so baby steps and i don't know if you'd find it usefull but you may find it easier to have someone there with you.Sorry if this wasn't useful but hope it was!
Pm me anytime on here quite a bit,good luck with building up the courage.

M

(#3 (permalink)) Old
_Headphones_ Offline
Music Lover

Outside, huh?

Name: Frankie<3

Re: Nervous to open to psychiatrist - June 26th 2018, 08:54 PM

Hey,
I know how you feel about being judged. I had one that judged me and after the first visit I switched. I know how important it is to you, to get help since I've read your other threads.

For me I do not open up much on the first visit. I have to get to know them first. So if you haven't seen him before may e you could go in there and tell him that you are really nervous and would like to just get to know him a little first, and not get into the really heavy stuff. And if after the visit you feel comfortable with him, make another appointment and try and open up in that one.

Also remember if you don't like the person you are seeing you have the right to ask for a different person. You can't get help if you don't like who you are seeing.

I hope this has helped a little bit. If you ever need to talk I am just a pm/VM away.
Your friend,
Frankie<3

Don't lose who you are, in the blur of the stars
Seeing is deceiving, dreaming is believing,
It's okay not to be okay
Sometimes it's hard, to follow your heart
Tears don't mean you're losing, everybody's bruising,
Just be true to who you are
|Member 2007||Senior Community Mentor||Social Media Guru||Resource & Newsletter Editor||Writer||Chat Mod|
|Forum Mod: LGBT, Sexuality and gender identity, Eating Disorders, Self-Harm, Peer Pressure and Bullying, Disability|
|PM/VM|

Closed Thread