TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Anxiety This forum is for seeking advice on anxiety and stress related issues.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Abbi22702 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Abigail

Afraid of food? - August 22nd 2018, 05:09 PM

So, I'm 13. I won't eat or drink anything unless it's been with me, because I'm scared someone added posion to it, I don't usually eat at a friend's house unless other people are eating the same food, I'm scared food will be undercooked or raw and I'm scared to use cups without washing them first. I also don't like eating food from stores that look super old, that are super cheap or are going out of business. The eating is not the biggest deal , because I don't eat very much...but when I want to eat something it is. The drinking is the biggest deal. Any ideas of why I'm scared of this? Thanks!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: Afraid of food? - August 22nd 2018, 08:26 PM

Being afraid to eat food out of fear that it's poisoned, under-cooked, old, not clean etc., could be a symptom of an anxiety disorder, specific phobia or other mental illness like OCD. Although we aren't professionals and can't diagnose.

Would you feel comfortable talking to someone about this? Perhaps a parent, trusted family member or a doctor? Anytime something bothers you and affects your life, it's worth reaching out and getting help for, especially if you find yourself restricting what you eat to the point of not eating much. It is possible to get help for this anxiety so that it doesn't interfere with your life so much.

In the meantime, maybe you can try challenging those thoughts? When we get anxious, we usually fear the worst scenario. But it's unlikely to ever happen. No-one would intentionally poison you. And you can tell when some foods are under cooked e.g. meat looks a bit pink. You may feel uncomfortable, but try not to avoid food and drink out of your fear. By trying to eat something that you usually wouldn't, you may find that there's little to fear. Sometimes when we avoid things, even though it may help in the short term, it usually only gets worse in the long term.

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Abbi22702 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Abigail

Re: Afraid of food? - August 26th 2018, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celyn View Post
Being afraid to eat food out of fear that it's poisoned, under-cooked, old, not clean etc., could be a symptom of an anxiety disorder, specific phobia or other mental illness like OCD. Although we aren't professionals and can't diagnose.

Would you feel comfortable talking to someone about this? Perhaps a parent, trusted family member or a doctor? Anytime something bothers you and affects your life, it's worth reaching out and getting help for, especially if you find yourself restricting what you eat to the point of not eating much. It is possible to get help for this anxiety so that it doesn't interfere with your life so much.

In the meantime, maybe you can try challenging those thoughts? When we get anxious, we usually fear the worst scenario. But it's unlikely to ever happen. No-one would intentionally poison you. And you can tell when some foods are under cooked e.g. meat looks a bit pink. You may feel uncomfortable, but try not to avoid food and drink out of your fear. By trying to eat something that you usually wouldn't, you may find that there's little to fear. Sometimes when we avoid things, even though it may help in the short term, it usually only gets worse in the long term.
I tried this! I don't like when I'm able to open bottles by myself, because I'm afraid they have been opened before. But I was able to open a bottle and took a huge sip of it. I swallowed it as quickly as I could. Of course now I'm worried...but at least I did that I guess. Thanks!

Closed Thread